Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-15-2007, 08:12 PM

23 posts, read 74,875 times

Advertisements

Looking for some feedback - moving to the D/FW area later this year. My husband is working in Richardson (Waterview Pkwy) and we had pretty much settled on living in that local area (looked at homes in Prestonwood, Preston Bend and areas similar) - heard glowing things about the Brentfield school (as well as RISD in general) - got some great feedback from many of you on another thread (thank you) - and thought we were all set....

Spoke with a realtor today and while she was in agreement, she suggested that we might want to also consider the Lovejoy ISD - Fairview, Lucas and Allen. She said that Lovejoy is "a well kept secret" that it is becoming a hot place to live, new schools, etc.

Did some searching on great schools and the feedback there looked good - Allen H.S. seems very large but if I stick to the Lovejoy Elem., M.S. and H.S. they seem smaller - lots of exemplary ratings the last two years, etc.

Realtor.com had many houses in the three towns that feed Lovejoy ISD - looked newer than the homes in Prestonwood.

Having said all of that, looking on-line at homes and schools can only offer so much insight - was hoping for some candid feedback from someone who might live in the area or is familiar enough with both to give me some pro's and con's. ALso looking for some commute feedback - want to stay within 30 minutes of my husband's office.

Thanks for your help...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-15-2007, 10:05 PM

6,578 posts, read 25,456,658 times
Lovejoy does not go through 12th grade yet, but will soon. The plan is to only offer AP classes in high school. There is a message board for Lovejoy somewhere. I've read it and it was very candid about things there, not all peaches and cream as it seems, but I can't remember the website name. You might search around for it. Generally, some of the complaints were promises were made when they decided to add high school instead of sending their kids to Allen High, but not kept. One promise was the AP only curriculum, but I don't know if that happened or not. I think the school just goes through 10th grade now.

Old 11-16-2007, 04:45 AM

Thanks for the reply - I will keep looking - I did some searches here on these threads and found a few things - not too much though and no comparisons about the two (Richardson vs. Lucas/Fairview/Allen within the LJ area) or commute info....

Seems to be a lot of talk about the HS though. My kids are 5 and 7 so focusing on the elementary and a little bit on the middle school now - have time to cross the HS bridge much later

Certainly info that will affect resale value going forward though if we get relocated again in a few years ....

I will keep looking - thanks!

Old 11-16-2007, 05:49 AM

Well, I think your realtor is correct. It is an up and coming area. I would certainly consider it if I were you. Not sure about the commute.

Old 11-16-2007, 07:01 AM

14,862 posts, read 42,858,565 times
The Lovejoy ISD even when it was just elem. was a "well kept secret". The Lucas area has pretty much always been "HOT" but not as well known. Since it is off the beaten path and most transplants don't venture out that way it has taken its time to develop and grow. I've known people that have lived out there when it was WAY OUT THERE and still the "boonies". One lady we used to go to church w/ lived out there and worked at the school. Like anywhere there is NO WHERE you can appease 100% of the people. More people are going to take the time to make a complaint than they will to praise - you just have to read between the lines on the complaints. My daughter has friends that live in Lucas and attend Lovejoy and they all seem to like it and enjoy the small atmosphere.

As for the homes, most of the homes are newer than Far North Dallas. You will still find the older ranch style homes on acreage that have been the staple out there for years.

Old 11-16-2007, 09:56 AM

1,518 posts, read 5,268,294 times
Richardson is great. I would look no further.

Old 11-17-2007, 10:31 AM

Here is the lovejoy forum I was talking about - lovejoyschools dot com
Lovejoy Schools Opinion :: Index

Old 11-17-2007, 03:45 PM

303 posts, read 1,011,461 times
We looked there as well (in Fairview) - the area is very nice, but there will be a commute for your husband. Coming from NY it also seemed a little too country, I just didn't feel ready to take the plunge, ha-ha!

Old 11-17-2007, 06:26 PM

WOW! Thank you for that link - I think.... I was overwhelmed by the negativity there. Certainly a stark contrast to the other things I was hearing and reading.

While there certainly seemed to be some valid concerns and questions about funding and overcrowding until new buildngs are in place as well as comments about the children being driven too hard and concerns about having an "average" child feel accepted and not overwhelmed there the posts almost have me running from LJISD.

It is so hard to know if the posts are driven by a handful of people or if the comments are the overwhelming sentiment of most...

So, back to more questions and research I guess....

Thank you so much for taking the time to send that link - I would hate to have not heard both sides before making such an important decision and as negative as the posts were they have be asking more questions and that is never a bad thing.

Thanks again....

Old 11-17-2007, 07:13 PM

1,067 posts, read 5,653,319 times
I believe you should make your choice not on just schools alone.

Always leave room in your budget to private school if you have too. My youngest goes to a private school here in Mckinney and I am so happy he is there for his elementary years. The public school he would be in is very well known and ranked high in Texas however we had issues with our oldest. I believe a school is only as good as the leadership . I think you should also look at other things as well, do you like a new neighborhood versus an old one? Do you like manicured versus non manicured. What is your expectations? There are some parts of Lovejoy area that are very country but go a few miles you are at Starbucks. The open air mall is going in soon and the neighborhoods that surround that area are very posh, homes on acreage and some of the best neighborhoods around. I would make it a point to go to the schools you are interested in and take a tour, get a feel of what you like. What makes Fairview unique is that it has custom home neighborhoods blended with just a few neighborhoods that are reproduction homes. David Weekly is building not too far from where the new open air mall will be and the homes are very pretty in there, not far from the elementary school out there. Garland is another choice over at Firewheel which is just off of 190 if you are looking into an area with good schools. GISD has school choice which could be an option for your family. It would not be a bad commute. Have you also looked at West Plano?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas