Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-13-2013, 02:29 PM

6 posts, read 8,746 times

Advertisements

I am looking at relocating with my firm to Dallas Texas. I current live in what I call "rural suburban" on the North side of Kansas City. I have 10 acres, and most people around me have 10-20 acres.

My office is downtown Dallas, but I work at clients a lot, so basing my location off where my office is doesn't totally work in my case. In KC I can be anywhere in about one hours time. I know Dallas larger than KC, but I would want to keep my travel time to/from the office to less than a hour. My job is flexible so I am not required to be there 8-5, so a hour max in non-rush hour traffic is fine.

Moving to Dallas I would want to be rural, and have 50-100 acres of land, that either has a large home on it, or nothing so I could build what I want. I would want to be no further away than 10 minutes to a "major highway"

I would probably prefer to be on the Northern side of Dallas, just so when I go home it is shorter, and would ideally like to be closer to lakes for boating. Being within an hour of Love Field is almost a requirement.

My wife is a RN and would get a job at one of the hospitals in town, so I would want her to be at one of the nicer ones, also within 45-60 minutes of our house.

Any thoughts would be appreciated...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-13-2013, 02:36 PM

11,818 posts, read 26,662,098 times
What's your budget for this?
Are schools important?

I will say this will be REALLY tough to the north of Dallas since that's where the growth is, and where the heaviest traffic is. You can literally drive north from downtown for an hour on Sunday afternoon (no traffic) and STILL be in suburbia!

If you were willing to live south of Dallas, this would be a lot more feasible.

Old 09-13-2013, 02:36 PM

692 posts, read 848,521 times
The people I know doing this, extrakt0r, are all sitting on land up by Denton, and their commutes are notably longer. Closer in may be doable, but the people who were doing that have by and large been squeezed off their land by development, and if you wanted to do it now, be prepared for land prices to run you some serious money.

Old 09-13-2013, 02:44 PM

My final budget would be dependent on the sale of my home in KC, but I would want to be between 750K and 1M. If the house is there. It would need to have a house, pool and outbuilding and be at least 4000 sq feet.

Otherwise a vacant lot that I can build on. In that case I would want land to be less than 200K.

Old 09-13-2013, 02:45 PM

Really anywhere is fine. I don't care....

My kids go to a Montessori school, so we would need something like that somewhat close, or on the way into the office. We will likely do Private vs. Public.

Old 09-13-2013, 02:46 PM

13,384 posts, read 25,594,168 times
If your office is downtown, I would suggest looking South or East of Dallas as opposed to West or North. If you travel 30 miles south of Dallas, you run into Waxahachie where youre goals are realistic. You would not be able to get what you want North of Dallas.

Old 09-13-2013, 02:49 PM

My office is close to the Galleria. I am a consultant, so I travel alot. 30K miles a year + air. My office location is not as important as location to major hospitals where my wife will work daily.

Old 09-13-2013, 03:20 PM

743 posts, read 1,313,621 times
You want 100 acres of land in the Metroplex for $200k? Well, gee, I'd like a 9,000 sq ft penthouse on Central Park for the same. Guys, what tips do you have?

Old 09-13-2013, 03:50 PM

13,194 posts, read 28,101,157 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by extrakt0r View Post
My office is close to the Galleria. I am a consultant, so I travel alot. 30K miles a year + air. My office location is not as important as location to major hospitals where my wife will work daily.
The closest areas north of Dallas where you will find what you're looking for are up near Sherman / Van Alstyne (north on US 75 corridor) or north of Prosper on the DNT corridor. Be forewarned that I work 20-30 minutes north of the Galleria in peak traffic and my 2-3 coworkers who commute from Sherman have over a 1 hour drive, that would make your commute 90 min each direction. Yuck!!

If your office were actually Downtown Dallas vs 20 minutes north @ Galleria, you'd have more options on the south / southeast side (Kaufman County, Ennis, Corsicana, etc all being within 60-75 minutes of downtown, even in rush hour).

As for your wife- there are major hospitals near downtown Dallas and also a bit southeast of the Galleria. There are also medical centers and hospitals all over the metroplex so her search shouldn't be too difficult unless she's in a super niche specialty.

Old 09-13-2013, 04:33 PM

953 posts, read 1,820,378 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TurtleCreek80 View Post
north of Prosper on the DNT corridor
I doubt you'd get 50-100 acres for $200k. Even in Celina, I think 50 acres runs north of $1M just the land.

Here is an example of something cheap in Celina.
57.7 Acres in Collin County, Texas - Property - LandAndFarm.com - Land for Sale

With a house at $2.9MM
57.87 Acres in Collin County, Texas - Property - LandAndFarm.com - Land for Sale

Celina will be a easy 90+ min commute to downtown in rush hours. I honestly don't think OP will get anything at that price range within 1 hour from downtown Dallas / Love field. I suggest looking South or east of downtown.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas