U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-26-2013, 09:56 AM

6,947 posts, read 18,727,885 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by aquietpath View Post
I really dislike that kind of snobby comment. I routinely gas up at Jim Miller and 30 and surprise, surprise...haven't been mugged, accosted or murdered yet! There are a lot of small, quiet and safe neighborhoods in that general area with affordable housing.
Repped you on that! I know the area and there are some nice neighborhoods on family houses in the vicinity. But I don't know of any nice apartments in that area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-26-2013, 10:16 AM

1,788 posts, read 1,889,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aquietpath View Post
I really dislike that kind of snobby comment. I routinely gas up at Jim Miller and 30 and surprise, surprise...haven't been mugged, accosted or murdered yet! There are a lot of small, quiet and safe neighborhoods in that general area with affordable housing.

That being said, if the apt complex the OP is considering is one I am thinking of, I would not recommend it. Too many of the residents seem to be hanging around during the day....never a good idea when you are leaving for work every day. Plus I agree with the other posters about the commuting issue. Battling the traffic everyday would be a problem.
Excellent post.

Old 09-26-2013, 10:33 AM

9,519 posts, read 19,555,408 times
Sorry you think my comment was snobby, but I do not feel safe in that area by myself. The last time I stopped there for gas (about a year ago), a panhandler came up to me while I was filling my car and was pretty persistent. I finally had to stop the pump before my car was full and drive away in order to get away from the guy. Since then, I refuse to go back. It's all about situational awareness, and as a female, I make sure that I don't put myself into a bad situation!

Old 09-26-2013, 12:11 PM

6,947 posts, read 18,727,885 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristieP View Post
Sorry you think my comment was snobby, but I do not feel safe in that area by myself. The last time I stopped there for gas (about a year ago), a panhandler came up to me while I was filling my car and was pretty persistent. I finally had to stop the pump before my car was full and drive away in order to get away from the guy. Since then, I refuse to go back. It's all about situational awareness, and as a female, I make sure that I don't put myself into a bad situation!
I was pestered terribly by a panhandler in front of the Cheesecake Factory, right near University Park.....very upscale area. Also panhandled in La Jolla, CA an incredibly expensive area in San Diego.

Old 09-26-2013, 12:27 PM

3,687 posts, read 3,931,243 times
I live in some apartments off of Gus Thommason and 30...farther east than Jim Miller (so closer to 635). Personally, if you can, try to NOT commute too much on 635...you know it's a nightmare. However, from where I live, it's not the worst commute you can do and I think they're pretty flexible on different personal situations.

I have a foreclosure on my record (not proud of it but that's how it is) and I paid the maximum security deposit ($250). I had the job and the income and got a fairly decent apartment. I don't always like the neighbors but most of them are people just trying to get by and have a decent life (families, students etc.). The complex itself has decent office staff...they actually seem to care... it's crazy!! And it's pretty clean...and with all the little kids running around, I think it's pretty safe. In fact, I was just telling my husband last night that for all the loud neighbors we have at our end of the complex, we're pretty lucky that they're just loud and not anything else.

Good luck...I agree that you should continue looking elsewhere. There is no place in this city that I feel uncomfortable driving through...but living arrangements should be better if you can manage. PM me if you want additional info on my complex.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or