U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-18-2013, 01:47 PM

1,584 posts, read 2,315,673 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by happycrow View Post
Synchronicity,

Pace EDS and Lakewooder, suburban sprawl will end when Dallas is more attractive than Plano, Allen, Irving, or Pantego for people who *don't* have serious money. Us middle-class schlubs need places to live and raise kids which don't suck, too, and there are more of us than there are rich people and childless "creatives" -- and by a large margin. When I was young, hip, and the most important part of my week was career development and getting laid, urban Dallas was a pretty good scene (albeit one which was loud, dirty, stressful, and seriously lacking greenspace). For actually having a family? Sorry, but it's garbage unless you're wealthy.

The urban planners can congratulate themselves and posture on their supposed moral and economic superiority, but the Iron Laws of ROI remain in effect.

Awesome post.
This was me 8 years ago. When I was single, a "young professional" just out of college, Dallas was perfect for me. Between work and partying, I was hardly ever home so I didnt need a lot of space in an affluent neighborhood with good schools (I lived in the Village). Well I shouldnt have said perfect because living in Dallas had its downsides. My apartment was broken into, sometimes while out jogging I have had cars pull up beside me and the driver/passengers ask if I had crack to sell...more than once. My brother moved in with me and has had men proposition him while he was walking outside. Yep no lie.

But I could put up with all this because it was just me. Would I want my children exposed to this? HECK NO. In my new subdivision out in the burbs, little kids play outside. Upon questioning my neighbor who has been here for years says that there has never been an incident with any strangers pulling up to ask the kids (or adults for that matter) anything. I got used to hearing police sirens racing by outside my window every night. Here in the burbs seeing a police/fire/EMS truck in the neighborhood is a big deal. Crime was such a problem in Dallas that the Village management brought in extra patrol cars and security to walk around. Out here people leave their garages open for hours, with no threat of anyone robbing them. I could go on and on about the differences to the quality of life. It's not even close.

Now before the chorus starts, yes, I'm aware that bad things can happen in the suburbs too, but I think I'll take my chances with the burbs than have my 3 year old son exposed to the very dirty underbelly of Dallas living.

And yes, I'm one of the average joes that cant afford to live in HP/Preston Hollow/Lakewood, so I say THANK GOD for the burbs. The alternative is too ugly to even bear thinking about.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-18-2013, 04:24 PM

16,092 posts, read 35,872,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MckinneyOwnr View Post
Wrong. The article you posted points out that Lakewood has low crime and good schools... FOR A NEIGHBORHOOD NEXT TO A BIG CITY. Posting that ridiculous article (which has neighborhoods that can't even be compared to a city suburb), was you cheerleading.

I'll explain again... Every time some publication does a listing of Best Places to Live, it's almost always a suburb. You're never going to see Lakewood listed in there either, because it's NOT a city.

Go look at the address on your mail. Does it say "Lakewood TX, 75214?" No?

Huh. I wonder why.
It's not next to a big city, it's in a big city. I'm also proud to be from Big D.

Old 09-18-2013, 04:45 PM

6,268 posts, read 12,196,164 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by biafra4life View Post
Awesome post.
This was me 8 years ago. When I was single, a "young professional" just out of college, Dallas was perfect for me. Between work and partying, I was hardly ever home so I didnt need a lot of space in an affluent neighborhood with good schools (I lived in the Village). Well I shouldnt have said perfect because living in Dallas had its downsides. My apartment was broken into, sometimes while out jogging I have had cars pull up beside me and the driver/passengers ask if I had crack to sell...more than once. My brother moved in with me and has had men proposition him while he was walking outside. Yep no lie.

But I could put up with all this because it was just me. Would I want my children exposed to this? HECK NO. In my new subdivision out in the burbs, little kids play outside. Upon questioning my neighbor who has been here for years says that there has never been an incident with any strangers pulling up to ask the kids (or adults for that matter) anything. I got used to hearing police sirens racing by outside my window every night. Here in the burbs seeing a police/fire/EMS truck in the neighborhood is a big deal. Crime was such a problem in Dallas that the Village management brought in extra patrol cars and security to walk around. Out here people leave their garages open for hours, with no threat of anyone robbing them. I could go on and on about the differences to the quality of life. It's not even close.

Now before the chorus starts, yes, I'm aware that bad things can happen in the suburbs too, but I think I'll take my chances with the burbs than have my 3 year old son exposed to the very dirty underbelly of Dallas living.

And yes, I'm one of the average joes that cant afford to live in HP/Preston Hollow/Lakewood, so I say THANK GOD for the burbs. The alternative is too ugly to even bear thinking about.
A good post by yourself as well. My experiences were similar to yours, when I lived in Uptown and had a condo. I got propositioned a couple times over the years, and yes, hearing sirens and emergency vehicles is a part of life there. I had my garage broken into twice, and my tools and mountain bike stolen both times.

Despite that, I have fond memories of my time living there. It definitely wasn't safer than the burbs, but at that point in my life, safety wasn't a prime concern of mine, going out to bars and enjoying the nightlife was.

My wife and I came back home from the store this weekend carrying in groceries around 1pm. I thought she had closed the garage door, she thought I did. When I went to lock up the house that night at 10:30pm, I discovered the garage door had been open all that time. Did a quick check of the garage... nothing missing.

If I had ever done that in Dallas, I'd have stuff stolen inside of 10 minutes, if that.

Old 09-18-2013, 04:46 PM

2,256 posts, read 2,971,501 times
Even if you live in the suburbs who wouldn't appreciate smarter zoning to allow a dry cleaner's to be on your block, or a grocery store you could walk to without having to get in your car and drive several miles? Better planning at least gives you the option of going for a quick walk to get something from the store. The way American cities are right now, there's hardly even the option to.

Smartcode has different levels of density; you guys are acting like the only choice that can exist is the far-flung suburbs or living like sardines in a dense urban core. There's a lot of development in-between that fits anyone's preference. I couldn't see myself raising kids in a cramped apartment or condo downtown either, but I hope I can find a house in a neighborhood where I can walk or ride my bike without getting mowed down by some soccer mom in a Lexus, where a lot of what I need is within a mile or two radius. It just doesn't make sense to build giant housing developments that span miles without adequate commercial development mixed in there. If the last 60 years or so have proven, that model hasn't worked but to increase our car dependence.

Old 09-18-2013, 05:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MckinneyOwnr View Post
When I went to lock up the house that night at 10:30pm, I discovered the garage door had been open all that time. Did a quick check of the garage... nothing missing.

If I had ever done that in Dallas, I'd have stuff stolen inside of 10 minutes, if that.
Please people -- if I said half the stuff about the suburbs as y'all say about big bad big D, you would jump down my throat. Guess what I have lived in EAST Dallas and Lakewood nearly all my life and have not been robbed, "propositioned" or whatever...I have several properties and only once in the last 30 years was one burglarized - and that was the kid next door. I broke the lock on my garage and it has been unlocked for years. I have accidentally left the front door wide open a few nights and left windows open with no locks or screens.

So much for 10 minutes, try over 50 years...

Old 09-18-2013, 05:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakewooder View Post
Please people -- if I said half the stuff about the suburbs as y'all say about big bad big D, you would jump down my throat. Guess what I have lived in EAST Dallas and Lakewood nearly all my life and have not been robbed, "propositioned" or whatever...I have several properties and only once in the last 30 years was one burglarized - and that was the kid next door. I broke the lock on my garage and it has been unlocked for years. I have accidentally left the front door wide open a few nights and left windows open with no locks or screens.

So much for 10 minutes, try over 50 years...
So you're saying that I didn't get my garage broken into twice and my stuff stolen twice, and there were no police reports filed? Wow. Interesting.

The difference between me and you is that I'm speaking from experience from living both downtown AND the typical suburb (Plano and McKinney.) You on the other hand are simply viewed as a cheerleader for Lakewood, and are incapable of giving an honest assessment of it vs other areas.

Old 09-18-2013, 05:31 PM

No, I did not say that - you said that if you had left your garage door open in Dallas, something would have been stolen inside 10 minutes!

Old 09-18-2013, 05:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakewooder View Post
No, I did not say that - you said that if you had left your garage door open in Dallas, something would have been stolen inside 10 minutes!
I probably said that because that's how long it took. (I know, see, I was there.) Happened to a gf of mine at the time too. Took one load of groceries up to her condo, came back down, and her bike was stolen out of the garage.

Old 09-18-2013, 05:44 PM

I'm sorry that happened to you but Dallas is a big city and nothing like that has ever happened to me.

Old 09-18-2013, 05:51 PM

You can't argue that Dallas is safer than the suburbs. You just can't. When I lived there, there were always muggings and even rapes on the Kady Trail for example. They'd increase the police presence there for a few months, things would quiet down, and the next year, it'd be the same cycle all over again. Theft is extremely common, especially from vehicles if you have to park on the street. In McKinney, in front of my house, I don't have any worries of that. If I go jogging around my neighborhood, the worst thing that will happen to me is that I'll hear some kid blaring some godawful music from his car with all the windows rolled down.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or