U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-17-2013, 06:56 PM

493 posts, read 557,616 times

Advertisements

I've thought about this topic a lot recently. On my opinion the growth of the DFW area northward will not end soon (20-30 years) and I would not be surprised in the sprawl extends all the way to the Texas/OU border. Sherman could be part of the Metroplex. Now before you call me crazy how many thought Allen and McKinney would be where they are today!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2013, 07:58 PM

794 posts, read 1,352,041 times
I live in a suburb and not a far flung suburb from where you have to drive to other places for everything but a very urban suburb which I love and cheer for at every given opportunity. If I had more money or less children then I would move to nicer parts of Dallas in a heart beat ... if job, schooling, money, friends weren't holding me here in Texas then probably move would be to some nicer city.

Old 09-17-2013, 08:36 PM

7,305 posts, read 8,144,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DitsyD View Post
For the life of me, I can't figure out why smaller busses, ambulances, fire trucks are astronomically expensive compared to larger ones.

You can't be saying that they are more expensive because a city would replace all of their larger ones with smaller ones all at once. Even I know that cities don't work that way. They replace as their current stock become worn out.

So, why is smaller equipment so much more expensive?
Redundancy.

Plano for example would have to hire support staff and build marginal new and different firehouse space for the new vehicles - the old ones couldn't be trashed and the new ones couldn't be parked outside.

Old 09-17-2013, 08:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOverdog View Post
How does 'thinking like an economist' square with thinking smaller busses, ambulances, fire trucks would be astronomically expensive? Moving from a 6 lane divided road to a two lane road makes fire trucks and busses more expensive?

Can you sort of explain what you are talking about? How does the cost of an ambulance even compare with the cost of a 6 lane road?
Do you think DART should buy new/different busses just for these tight areas? Same for ambulances and fire trucks? Where will these new and different items be kept? Who will maintain them? Who will pay for the maintenance guy's new training for the new vehicle? Trust me think about these things for a few minutes.

Old 09-17-2013, 09:53 PM

2,256 posts, read 2,965,793 times
I'd still say continuing the unsustainable cycle of neverending freeway building, along with the accompanying congestion, smog, time wasted sitting in traffic, taxes to subsidize sprawl, etc. far outweighs any need to purchase new firetrucks or ambulances. It's not even close.

As far as the whole "Dallas is too expensive to live in", I don't necessarily think piling up everyone in the city center is the wisest choice either. Dallas is already too multipolar with development, that IMO a more successful strategy is focusing on existing suburbs and making them more walkable and transit-friendly.

Long-term outlook, momentum is absolutely on the side of American cities becoming more compact anyway (gas prices are only going one way) but there's got to be a way to make it a bit more affordable to live downtown. And by the way I live in Uptown and Dallas is still far and away much cheaper than any other city of comparable size.

Old 09-17-2013, 10:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidicarus89 View Post
I'd still say continuing the unsustainable cycle of neverending freeway building, along with the accompanying congestion, smog, time wasted sitting in traffic, taxes to subsidize sprawl, etc. far outweighs any need to purchase new firetrucks or ambulances. It's not even close.

As far as the whole "Dallas is too expensive to live in", I don't necessarily think piling up everyone in the city center is the wisest choice either. Dallas is already too multipolar with development, that IMO a more successful strategy is focusing on existing suburbs and making them more walkable and transit-friendly.

Long-term outlook, momentum is absolutely on the side of American cities becoming more compact anyway (gas prices are only going one way) but there's got to be a way to make it a bit more affordable to live downtown. And by the way I live in Uptown and Dallas is still far and away much cheaper than any other city of comparable size.
1. If we switch in significant part to natural gas fuel costs per mile, unless .gov screws it up, will go down and way down.

2. I hate talking about economics on the internet - fire and ambulance costs are a tiny fraction of the money needed to artificially gentrify and add density to existing areas.

Old 09-17-2013, 10:08 PM

4,131 posts, read 6,073,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EDS_ View Post
Redundancy.

Plano for example would have to hire support staff and build marginal new and different firehouse space for the new vehicles - the old ones couldn't be trashed and the new ones couldn't be parked outside.

You don't need new vehicles. They get around fine in the gridded urban neighborhoods of Dallas, which are wide enough for street parking. Narrow streets aren't necessary.

Replicating old English villages isn't the point. Just replicate the layout of old city neighborhoods!

Old 09-17-2013, 11:19 PM

2,812 posts, read 3,572,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EDS_ View Post
2. I hate talking about economics on the internet
Dammit.

Old 09-17-2013, 11:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by winkosmosis View Post
You don't need new vehicles. They get around fine in the gridded urban neighborhoods of Dallas, which are wide enough for street parking. Narrow streets aren't necessary.

Replicating old English villages isn't the point. Just replicate the layout of old city neighborhoods!
No, the guy I lodged that argument with made the point that narrow streets are mandatory for the kind of instant neighborhoods he prefers.

Old 09-17-2013, 11:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by synchronicity View Post
Dammit.
People misuse terms and don't understand economic terms that have very specific meanings.

I should rephrase my statement. I enjoy arguing economics in the very broad sense.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or