U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-18-2013, 11:56 AM

1,212 posts, read 1,771,794 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by biafra4life View Post
Cant see why that would be a good idea. Devoting considerable resources to benefit what would at most be maybe a couple of hundred extra kids to the detriment of the thousands of other kids who would have to lose out on those resources.

One of the issues I see here is that people keep ignoring a lot of the unique problems DISD faces (apart from corruption/inept leadership etc which we can talk about on another day). You have the magnets draining away top students, and on top of that, all the north dallas privates which draw mostly from DISD, and then all the charter schools in the city. All these together probably take the majority of the driven, dedicated kids who would have boosted those top level numbers. It's a bit of a vicious cycle...top kids run off to private/magnet/charter...DISD school performances drop as a result...top kids see lowered performances, continue to flee to other alternatives...DISD school keeps losing top students, keeps dropping further...and so on and so on.

I promise you that if you relocated all the top privates (St Marks, Hockaday etc) plus 3 or 4 of the Dallas Magnets, PLUS several of the top charters right in the middle of Plano, I guarantee you the three PISD schools lose most of their top students. That being said, there is no denying that Plano is a much better district overall than DISD regardless of the NMSF brain drain issue.
Personally, I think it is a great idea. If your theory is that you want the private school kids to stay in DISD schools, the only way to convince them to do the same, is to show that you have some very good schools where students can achieve success and matriculate to the Ivy League (or similar schools). New York and Boston, for example, have public high schools that are just as highly regarded as their top private schools. The kids from those schools attend the very best colleges. That just does not happen in Dallas, yet. But maybe it could with the magnet schools and the "top" DISD high schools making a push. Hell, what do they have to lose. Nothing has been working very well for the last twenty years- might as well try something new.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-18-2013, 01:09 PM

2,346 posts, read 5,797,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DitsyD View Post
I know that PISD has all sophomores take the PSAT, but I didn't hear about a boot camp.
Not to the degree described for Flower Mound. For those within striking distance (I think 175+) after the 10th grade administration of the PSAT, PISD offers a prep course (maybe 10-12 hours???).

FWIW, a lot of these kids go through the (extensive and expensive) Karen Dillard program, so they wouldn't need the district's prep course.

Every year, KD posts the NMSF lists in their front hallway and highlights those who went through their program. For PISD, that's about a 2/3 hit rate.

Old 09-18-2013, 01:34 PM

1,341 posts, read 4,313,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big G View Post
Not to the degree described for Flower Mound. For those within striking distance (I think 175+) after the 10th grade administration of the PSAT, PISD offers a prep course (maybe 10-12 hours???).

FWIW, a lot of these kids go through the (extensive and expensive) Karen Dillard program, so they wouldn't need the district's prep course.

Every year, KD posts the NMSF lists in their front hallway and highlights those who went through their program. For PISD, that's about a 2/3 hit rate.
Thanks for the tip on KD. They do have a location near us Plano/frisco....will come in handy when the time comes. I thought everyone did the kumon/sylvan thing.

Price seems reasonable and the course seems extensive...already bookmarked for my older for next year. the middle session already started and I have her in mathnasium at plano...otherwise I might have considered this as well.

Added to my "to do list" for next year.

Old 09-18-2013, 02:16 PM

1,212 posts, read 1,771,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mom2gurls View Post
Thanks for the tip on KD. They do have a location near us Plano/frisco....will come in handy when the time comes. I thought everyone did the kumon/sylvan thing.

Price seems reasonable and the course seems extensive...already bookmarked for my older for next year. the middle session already started and I have her in mathnasium at plano...otherwise I might have considered this as well.

Added to my "to do list" for next year.
KD is trendy, but very popular in Plano.

Old 09-18-2013, 02:38 PM

2,206 posts, read 3,796,392 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HockDad View Post
Personally, I think it is a great idea. If your theory is that you want the private school kids to stay in DISD schools, the only way to convince them to do the same, is to show that you have some very good schools where students can achieve success and matriculate to the Ivy League (or similar schools). New York and Boston, for example, have public high schools that are just as highly regarded as their top private schools. The kids from those schools attend the very best colleges. That just does not happen in Dallas, yet. But maybe it could with the magnet schools and the "top" DISD high schools making a push. Hell, what do they have to lose. Nothing has been working very well for the last twenty years- might as well try something new.

Hunter College in NYC is just as good as St Marks and better than Hockaday.

Stuyvesant and Bronx are on par with Plano's HS or TJH in VA.

DISD would have to up its game to match Plano. That means beginning in K, not in HS, by separating the kids into tracks and then having the teaching staff and curriculum to match.

Old 09-18-2013, 02:45 PM

2,206 posts, read 3,796,392 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by facebookdigg123 View Post
I agree that those 3 things are important, but I think once you hit a certain stage in education, it doesnt really matter what school you are at. A solid education early on is so important to build a foundation for success.
I don't agree. It has to be maintained all the way through HS and then into college.

I went into such a top program in 10th grade and prior that it was at best a mixed bag. IQ-wise, I am at the very edge of the bell curve and learned very well on my own. I was put into the top tier class group. I got a rude awakening.

I struggled the first few months in that program, getting D's my first few weeks. By the end of the 10th grade I was doing very very well because I had learned how to study and how to manage my time. The program was very broad and very rigorous and the pace was very fast.

I got into Ivies and the Caltech as a result. If I had not gone through those three years, I would not have made it to the next step.

Today myself and my classmates from HS bear the imprint of those years. Everyone in my section is either an MD, JD, PHD - and the top of their peer group - one is a General, another is Chief Surgeon. Most are not NMSF - but the depth of the education and the work ethic it instilled carried everyone.

Old 09-18-2013, 02:58 PM

2,812 posts, read 3,570,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big G View Post

Doesn't anybody get NMSF anymore WITHOUT going thru special prep classes and private programs and whatnot? Sheesh. I tell ya, back in MY day...

(and GET OFF MY LAWN, you darn kids!)

Old 09-18-2013, 03:04 PM

146 posts, read 242,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TX75007 View Post
I don't agree. It has to be maintained all the way through HS and then into college.

I went into such a top program in 10th grade and prior that it was at best a mixed bag. IQ-wise, I am at the very edge of the bell curve and learned very well on my own. I was put into the top tier class group. I got a rude awakening.

I struggled the first few months in that program, getting D's my first few weeks. By the end of the 10th grade I was doing very very well because I had learned how to study and how to manage my time. The program was very broad and very rigorous and the pace was very fast.

I got into Ivies and the Caltech as a result. If I had not gone through those three years, I would not have made it to the next step.

Today myself and my classmates from HS bear the imprint of those years. Everyone in my section is either an MD, JD, PHD - and the top of their peer group - one is a General, another is Chief Surgeon. Most are not NMSF - but the depth of the education and the work ethic it instilled carried everyone.
Ok I never stated exactly what point in education a solid school has impact on, but I agree with high school but not with college. I graduated in the top 5 people at one of the plano high schools, got into Ivies and top schools, but chose to go to a "crappy" undergrad. Now at a top school for med school. The education and work ethic from going to school in plano has definitely set the foundation for me, and I am very glad for it. But if I went to a different school district for high school, would I be able to have the same success as I did at plano? Who knows

Old 09-18-2013, 09:21 PM

3,166 posts, read 4,820,882 times
Quote:
Doesn't anybody get NMSF anymore WITHOUT going thru special prep classes and private programs and whatnot? Sheesh. I tell ya, back in MY day...
Actually, yes! My husband did it. His private Catholic school (in Houston) offered nothing...he heard about it from me (we were long distance high school sweethearts) and studied his ass off on his own with a book and practice tests. He essentially achieved the same 30/300 point increase as I did with Flower Mound's program completely on his own...and actually beat me by a few points.

Granted, we both had some serious motivation here...we were young(er) and IN LURVE. Our master plan was to go to OU together on scholarships. Best kick in the pants ever!

Old 09-18-2013, 10:10 PM

2,812 posts, read 3,570,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mSooner View Post
Actually, yes! My husband did it. His private Catholic school (in Houston) offered nothing...he heard about it from me (we were long distance high school sweethearts) and studied his ass off on his own with a book and practice tests. He essentially achieved the same 30/300 point increase as I did with Flower Mound's program completely on his own...and actually beat me by a few points.

Granted, we both had some serious motivation here...we were young(er) and IN LURVE. Our master plan was to go to OU together on scholarships. Best kick in the pants ever!
Congrats to him (and to you). That's great and I'm happy for both of you AND thrilled that you two are a happily married couple as well. That said, I'm gonna rant for a second, and say:

Fer cryin' out loud, there are people who got NMSF *WITHOUT* "studying their ass off". They just took maybe a practice test, maybe not, then WENT AND TOOK THE ACTUAL TEST!! No structured classes, no weeks of "working to improve their score", just go and TAKE THE DARN THING, and there you go.

I swear, it's like everyone is in hyper competitive cram mode around here. The old saying used to be that the best time to start "studying" for the SAT was...around first grade. But the times they are a-changin'.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or