U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-16-2013, 07:39 AM

1,282 posts, read 2,980,202 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big G View Post
Looks as if I've been paged.

I've always said I'd send my kid to Allen before Frisco. Now, I'd also send him to McKinney before Frisco.
Mckinney District Total: 9
Allen District Total: 8
Frisco District Total: 8

With those results and Mckinney being at 24% economically disadvantaged, versus Allen's 14% and Frisco's 11%, you may want to bump Mckinney up in front of Allen too
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-16-2013, 08:05 AM

2,828 posts, read 3,390,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramona72 View Post
Oh, of course I understand the difference. The point is, TAG is a lot poorer and browner than Hockaday and St. Marks and HP -- never mind lacking the multimillion-dollar facilities, the rolling green hills, etc. -- and yet it's still putting up close to or better numbers?? Yes, HP is an open enrollment school neighborhood school, but that designation loses much of its "bring me all your huddled masses" connotation when it takes $1mil to buy a cottage. With all those advantages you'd sure think those kids would be kicking it, wouldn't you?
1st) It doesn't take a million. We were recently looking into a 650K 3 bedroom house to purchase as an investment property just a few weeks ago in HPISD.

2nd) You cannot compare a school that is allowed to choose from a million kids to a school with open enrollment. DISD Tag is more equivalent to a high end private, then HPISD.

Old 09-16-2013, 08:44 AM

1,188 posts, read 2,015,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RonnieinDallas View Post
11 in Dallas is a lot better than Fort Worth's 5. Plus, Lake Highlands is essentially a Dallas school. I bet the 4 NMSF kids live in Dallas.
I don't think this is a good argument. Is there even such a thing as a Lake Highlands address? Isn't all of that area Dallas? I think the city boundaries are wonky everywhere. How many times is there a statement on this board to be sure to check school zoning when someone is buying a house. It is frequently said that school boundaries don't follow city boundaries.

Old 09-16-2013, 08:51 AM

2,237 posts, read 2,763,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jennifw View Post
I don't think this is a good argument. Is there even such a thing as a Lake Highlands address? Isn't all of that area Dallas? I think the city boundaries are wonky everywhere. How many times is there a statement on this board to be sure to check school zoning when someone is buying a house. It is frequently said that school boundaries don't follow city boundaries.
I'm not sure what you are trying to say.

Lake Highlands is in Dallas, but is Richardson ISD.

Old 09-16-2013, 09:05 AM

2,812 posts, read 3,570,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramona72 View Post
The list was by school, not by district, although in some cases it is one in the same. TAG had a better percentage than HP, Plano E & W, etc. Move to DISD with a bright kid, get him into TAG, and he'll be in great company even though he's in big bad DISD.
I'm amazed that people have to point out the difference to you and you still don't get it.

Old 09-16-2013, 09:08 AM

2,812 posts, read 3,570,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TurtleCreek80 View Post
+1. Senior class populations range from 60-1,600ish among all the schools listed above. It's impossible to tell which schools did the best (except for the obvious ones like TAMS, Hockaday, St Mark's) without the key "% of class" metric.

Anyone want to dig up the senior class #'s today?
I spent the weekend in Chicago and got back yesterday to the beginnings of this thread. I'll be doing just that in the next couple days, time permitting. I might "rough it" using the class numbers from a couple years ago to get an diea, as I doubt class sizes have changed THAT much. Unfortunately, it's only the publics I have at hand, not the privates.

Never mind, I see BigG already did that! Southlake Carroll's 2.3% is not as bad as I'd originally thought. Agree that Coppell just does NOT get the props it should, and I have no idea why. Its averages are right up there with Carroll and the Planos, and its NMSF %age this year was higher than every open public save Flower Mound (which has its special program), it has a great location, yet somehow it doesn't quite get the props. Go figure.

Per my old numbers from 2010 or 2011, DISD had ~6,500 in the graduating class. They only had 11 NMSF's. I know demogrpahics and self-selection has a lot to do with that and have no idea how to fix it, but yeah, having some degree of competence from the person at the top of the district would be a good start.

Old 09-16-2013, 09:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DitsyD View Post
I'm not sure what you are trying to say.

Lake Highlands is in Dallas, but is Richardson ISD.

I guess I wasn't clear. I think the OP (ronneindallas) was trying to say that the 4 LH students are actually in Dallas, and should count towards any "Dallas counts" of NMSF. I was pointing out that Dallas kids go to Richardson schools, Dallas kids go to Plano schools, Plano kids go to Frisco schools, etc.

Old 09-16-2013, 09:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by synchronicity View Post
I Unfortunately, it's only the publics I have at hand, not the privates.
Not one of the top tier schools that is usually discussed on this forum, but Dallas International School had 1 out of 16 for 6.25%

Old 09-16-2013, 09:55 AM

2,237 posts, read 2,763,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jennifw View Post
I guess I wasn't clear. I think the OP (ronneindallas) was trying to say that the 4 LH students are actually in Dallas, and should count towards any "Dallas counts" of NMSF. I was pointing out that Dallas kids go to Richardson schools, Dallas kids go to Plano schools, Plano kids go to Frisco schools, etc.
Thanks.

Old 09-16-2013, 10:37 AM

256 posts, read 366,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bencronin04 View Post
1st) It doesn't take a million. We were recently looking into a 650K 3 bedroom house to purchase as an investment property just a few weeks ago in HPISD.

2nd) You cannot compare a school that is allowed to choose from a million kids to a school with open enrollment. DISD Tag is more equivalent to a high end private, then HPISD.
Except it's free. There's that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or