U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 09-16-2013, 10:47 AM
 
Location: Wylie, Texas
1,545 posts, read 2,290,421 times
Reputation: 2345

Advertisements

Interesting as always. A few thoughts:
Echoing Big G here, but Rockwall is amazing this year! I remember when Rockwall used to languish below Garland in all facets, now they are kicking butt. Hopefully this trend will continue and not be a one time blip.

As for the taunting of DISD, I think people are ignoring one major factor: the strong magnets in the DISD area. Think about this. If Plano ISD had 2 or 3 exclusive magnet schools, doesnt it stand to reason that all (or at least the majority) of the NMSFs that are currently in the three high school would be siphoned off? Then we would all be wailing about the poor performing Plano high schools. How many of those NMSFs currently in the Dallas Magnets come from Woodrow or White zones? I think it would be interesting to know where these kids come from then you could count those as losses to the school. Dallas ISD alone has fully thriving functional magnets. No other district here has that to the same level. Now you could argue the pros/cons of the magnets but you have to take those into account. If I am a NMSF type student, absolutely I'm ditching my local neighborhood school and heading straight to the magnets. No debating.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 09-16-2013, 10:49 AM
 
Location: Southlake. Don't judge me.
2,810 posts, read 3,565,871 times
Reputation: 3600
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramona72 View Post
Except it's free. There's that.
But TAG can take only the very "best" DISD students. Out of ~6,500, they take a little over 50.

Plano ISD total has about half the graduating students as Dallas ISD. Per the numbers listed, they have 78 NMSF students.

Look, I totally get the issues of demographics and so on, but heck, Plano ain't HP. West Plano ain't even HP. As another poster noted, if Plano created a "TAG" school and took 50-60 students out of the ISD overall that were at or near the "top", they could ALL be NMSF and the rest of Plano ISD would still have about double the NMSFs as all of DISD had including TAG. With, again, about the half the total student population.

I get that you have a chicken and egg issue with a bunch of parents that can afford it avoiding DISD which drags down the numbers which perpetuates parents avoiding DISD and so on. I get that there are some highly talented kids in DISD who succeed at a high level and TAG seems to do a good job pushing them to excel. I get, AGAIN, that socioeconomic status correlates strongly with academic achievement (well, at least test scores) over large groups of students (such as when comparing ISDs), lord knows I get that, I ran a friggin' simple linear regression on that while playing with the data!

All that said, DISD gets a negative rep because its overall numbers are poor, TAG notwithstanding.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-16-2013, 10:53 AM
 
Location: Southlake. Don't judge me.
2,810 posts, read 3,565,871 times
Reputation: 3600
Quote:
Originally Posted by biafra4life View Post
As for the taunting of DISD, I think people are ignoring one major factor: the strong magnets in the DISD area. Think about this. If Plano ISD had 2 or 3 exclusive magnet schools, doesnt it stand to reason that all (or at least the majority) of the NMSFs that are currently in the three high school would be siphoned off? Then we would all be wailing about the poor performing Plano high schools. How many of those NMSFs currently in the Dallas Magnets come from Woodrow or White zones? I think it would be interesting to know where these kids come from then you could count those as losses to the school. Dallas ISD alone has fully thriving functional magnets. No other district here has that to the same level. Now you could argue the pros/cons of the magnets but you have to take those into account. If I am a NMSF type student, absolutely I'm ditching my local neighborhood school and heading straight to the magnets. No debating.
As noted, TAG takes about 50-60 students per year out of a total DISD class of ~6,500.

The PISD total class is ~3,200, roughly half of DISD.

If you took 50-60 students out of PISD and put them in a magnet, and they ALL were NMSF, there would still be 18-28 NMSFs in the rest of PISD, compared to the DISD's total of 11, which is INCLUDING TAG.

Again, normal caveats about demographics/DISD zoned students going to privates, etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-16-2013, 10:58 AM
 
Location: Dallas, TX
2,828 posts, read 3,386,407 times
Reputation: 1815
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramona72 View Post
Except it's free. There's that.
It's not really free. You have to reside in the area. Also, there are kids on finical support at the top privates.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-16-2013, 11:11 AM
 
Location: Dallas, TX
2,828 posts, read 3,386,407 times
Reputation: 1815
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramona72 View Post
-- never mind lacking the multimillion-dollar facilities,
Also, this point you made above.....couldn't be further from the truth either. May want to do some research next time.

"Townview was first proposed in the 1980s. As of 1992 the proposed cost estimate was $30 million."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-16-2013, 12:47 PM
 
1 posts, read 1,499 times
Reputation: 10
DallasNews: National Merit Scholarship semifinalists from Dallas-Fort Worth schools

[url=http://www.dallasnews.com/news/education/headlines/20130916-national-merit-scholarship-semifinalists-from-dallas-fort-worth-schools.ece]National Merit Scholarship semifinalists from Dallas-Fort Worth schools | Dallasnews.com - News for Dallas, Texas - The Dallas Morning News[/url]

Includes School and Semifinalist
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-16-2013, 01:03 PM
 
1,212 posts, read 1,769,788 times
Reputation: 1073
Quote:
Originally Posted by bencronin04 View Post
It's not really free. You have to reside in the area. Also, there are kids on finical support at the top privates.
If TAG had the reputation (and results) of St, Marks, you would see an influx of students transferring from St. Marks to TAG. The parents at St. Marks might be "wealthy", but they are not idiots and if TAG was just as good or better than St. Marks, you would see a multitude of students attempting to get in and save their parents the tuition dollars (not all of the parents, but a large percentage). That is especially true for the approximately 20% of the kids on financial aid. By the way, financial aid does not mean only scholarships, but it also means loans. Thus, numerous parents every year, that live in DISD, take out loans to send their kids to St. Marks rather than utilize DISD magnet schools.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-16-2013, 01:07 PM
 
Location: Dallas, TX
2,828 posts, read 3,386,407 times
Reputation: 1815
Quote:
Originally Posted by HockDad View Post
If TAG had the reputation (and results) of St, Marks, you would see an influx of students transferring from St. Marks to TAG. The parents at St. Marks might be "wealthy", but they are not idiots and if TAG was just as good or better than St. Marks, you would see a multitude of students attempting to get in and save their parents the tuition dollars (not all of the parents, but a large percentage). That is especially true for the approximately 20% of the kids on financial aid. By the way, financial aid does not mean only scholarships, but it also means loans. Thus, numerous parents every year, that live in DISD, take out loans to send their kids to St. Marks rather than utilize DISD magnet schools.
I'm not the one that stated that St. Mark's and TAG were great comparisons by any means, I just stated it was a better comparison then HPISD since it's all selective.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-16-2013, 01:34 PM
 
Location: Dallas, TX
2,828 posts, read 3,386,407 times
Reputation: 1815
Oh and BIGS props to Lewisville ISD.

Top 3 HS's for PISD/LISD:
PISD: 78
LISD: 66

And from what I've gathered, LISD has about half the student body as PISD.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-16-2013, 01:40 PM
 
256 posts, read 366,506 times
Reputation: 440
Quote:
Originally Posted by HockDad View Post
Thus, numerous parents every year, that live in DISD, take out loans to send their kids to St. Marks rather than utilize DISD magnet schools.
And I personally think it is insane to take out major loans for private high school if you live in DISD and can get into a magnet, but it's not my money. If my child was going to Hockaday or St. Marks and I could not comfortably afford the tuition, I would send my kid to a magnet in a heartbeat or I would move to Plano or another high-performing suburb.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top