U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-17-2013, 01:31 PM

1,341 posts, read 4,316,894 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big G View Post
Looks as if I've been paged.

My random thoughts:

1) A shout-out to HockDad for his school even beating St. Mark's. Very good showing for Hockaday.
2) Flower Mound isn't a school district.
3) Hebron is rapidly becoming a contender in the high-end public schools. Good news for Castle Hills and the Denton County portion of Plano.
4) Off year for PISD - but last year was an uncommonly good year. Add 'em together and they match the long-term average. Plano Senior beats out Plano West this year, both on absolute numbers and on a percentage basis. What what?
5) Coppell delivers as it does every year. It deserves more respect than it gets.
6) Did someone in Rockwall ISD have the answer key??? Those campuses came out of nowhere.
7) Dallas ISD - smh. Not a single NMSF from any of the comprehensive schools.
8) Frisco ISD - seriously? And half of those 8 NMSF kids (the Frisco Liberty ones) probably live in far north Plano, not Frisco. I've always said I'd send my kid to Allen before Frisco. Now, I'd also send him to McKinney before Frisco. That new Karen Dillard location up there might be their only hope.
It doesn't surprise me that frisco's liberty ones took up 4/8 slots. We are renting in the liberty feeder line because it provided us with a birds eye view of north plano/frisco. The north plano/south frisco along the 121 area is so intermingled, I would say its same population (with the same views, demographics, work ethics, expectations). I am in north plano on a daily basis as my stomping ground and I see no difference in the area. Parents that I have spoken to who have moved to this area come from plano and I just met someone from Coppell the other day. It seems that the north plano push is coming up right along the 121 and bringing those high performing kids, with parental expectations with it.

That being said..

I can see why outer areas may get a bad rap...when we were out looking, WP, PS and centennial/liberty were our only serious contention. I had allen on my list, but its too far for work. We had at least 3/4 realtor say that these four schools were the best high schools in the square mile radius we were looking I
in.

I did have some realtors try and show us up near el dolarado and past it(SP?), because it was NEWER and yes, you can get bigger..but it wasn't our vibe, and I could just tell from the residents that we saw on the in neighborhood that it wasn't as polished as we were looking, even on the inside of the houses (at least these ones...looked like the tacky 30k millionaire homes).

I even told my realtor, that I didn't want a big ole home as a rental and I didn't mind paying more for less..we were just looking for a great school to get a feel for the area! We did find a rental in WP that was lovely, but the realtor and the owner didn't get along and he tried doing something private..too much drama, so we passed. The other WP home wasn't available and we grabbed this rental and competed with others to get it!! Who knew it would be so competitive!

It also seemed like the along the 121 you had more of a polished look, maybe it was because of the north plano push coming up..heck we saw a house in north plano that had frisco schools and it was lovely!

My personal feeling with frisco as a newbie is that there is just not enough of a track record with the "new type" of population moving in (more affluent that in the past). I also feel that with the amount of new schools opening up, there wont be any substantial data that can realistically compete with the more established schools.

I think with frisco, you have be be very choosy in your feeder line to ensure a higher expectation of success, whereas with plano, Coppell, HP, southlake, there are 3 high schools, or only one high school and the efforts of the teachers, students and parents can almost be consolidated and not so spread out.

There are just so many schools to keep track off and more opening up. But who knows, if every high school got "1-4" national merits, then of course the TOTAL amount FISD would be higher than what it is.

with Coppell only having one high school in the district (correct me if I am wrong)..and pulling that kind of number is VERY cool.

I like this north plano/frisco area for job/amenities/school and sense of family. But I wouldn't put my children into an unknown area....don't need a big house that badly.

Maybe that is what is happening with the castle hills area as well...a lot of the plano-ites are just pushing farther out as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2013, 01:36 PM

2,346 posts, read 5,802,888 times
Tack on the 5 NMSFs from Colony HS and 1 from Lewisville HS, and you get 72 vs. 78 for LISD vs. PISD. Percentage-wise, probably a statistically insignificant difference. That wasn't the case 10 years (or even 5 years) ago.

7-8 years ago, we looked semi-seriously at building in Castle Hills. The (then) relatively weak reputation of Hebron HS was one of the points that led us to instead stay in PISD for our new build. If I were making that call in 2013? It might be a different story.

Old 09-17-2013, 01:56 PM

2,812 posts, read 3,573,927 times
Quote:
Tack on the 5 NMSFs from Colony HS and 1 from Lewisville HS, and you get 72 vs. 78 for LISD vs. PISD. Percentage-wise, probably a statistically insignificant difference. That wasn't the case 10 years (or even 5 years) ago.

7-8 years ago, we looked semi-seriously at building in Castle Hills. The (then) relatively weak reputation of Hebron HS was one of the points that led us to instead stay in PISD for our new build. If I were making that call in 2013? It might be a different story.
The main driver of LISD NMSFs remains FloMo. Not to knock the rest of LISD, but for now it's Flower Mound...and then Marcus and Hebron a ways behind them (but still impressive overall), and then The Colony and Lewisville well behind them. That said, Hebron moving up (both in averages and NMSF) is good news for everyone feeding into that school and for LISD as a whole.

Still surprised to see Rockwall ISD seemingly come out of nowhere to put up some serious NMSF percentages. Haven't run the numbers but they may have the highest percentage for any district with more than one high school (at a glance from the numbers posted earlier they're at over 2.5% districtwide, which would top Plano and Lewisville).

Old 09-17-2013, 02:16 PM

3,166 posts, read 4,826,404 times
Quote:
Just curious. What made Flower Mound so outstanding comparing to other schools with the similar demographics?
I've posted this before, but I don't mind doing it again. FMHS has a very specific "bootcamp" style program that has been around over 10 years now and has consistently produced better and better results. All sophomores are required to take the PSAT. If you have a certain score, you are invited to join the "PSAT Team." To be on the team, you have to commit to 1 week of of "camp" in the summer and a 9 week course. You are also required to take practice tests a couple of Saturdays during the 9 week class. The classes were similar to any SAT prep course--focus on vocab, math, writing, and general test taking skills. My score improved 30 pts (300 SAT points) as a direct result. I'm not sure how much the program has changed since then, but I can ask my youngest sister--she is trying for the team this year!

The year I got NM, there were 22 semifinalists and they've gotten better and better. I've heard the teachers in charge of the program were mentoring teachers from other districts to help them set up their own program, but I don't know if it is true.

I cannot say enough good things about the program. There are 5 kids in our family, 4 in or out of college. 2 of us got National Merit and got almost full rides to OU (it's not quite full, but close), one got commended and got a nice scholarship out of that, and the child still in high school is well on her way to being a NM scholar as well. That's a lot of scholarship money!

Old 09-17-2013, 02:23 PM

Quote:

Totally agree-

You just really don't know...and it can be a gamble, that's one reason why I can see,) after being here (and viewing the topography ), how important factors such as commute time, schools, housing budget play into things.

Your castle hills example is spot on...there are many schools that are in that "gray area" of being in the outer perimeter of PISD, but not in the district, however the people/friends/peers are all intermingled.

As a side note, it really doesn't help much, when the developments split up the kids into different school districts...but that is topic for a different thread!

Old 09-17-2013, 02:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mSooner View Post
I've posted this before, but I don't mind doing it again. FMHS has a very specific "bootcamp" style program that has been around over 10 years now and has consistently produced better and better results. All sophomores are required to take the PSAT. If you have a certain score, you are invited to join the "PSAT Team." To be on the team, you have to commit to 1 week of of "camp" in the summer and a 9 week course. You are also required to take practice tests a couple of Saturdays during the 9 week class. The classes were similar to any SAT prep course--focus on vocab, math, writing, and general test taking skills. My score improved 30 pts (300 SAT points) as a direct result. I'm not sure how much the program has changed since then, but I can ask my youngest sister--she is trying for the team this year!

The year I got NM, there were 22 semifinalists and they've gotten better and better. I've heard the teachers in charge of the program were mentoring teachers from other districts to help them set up their own program, but I don't know if it is true.

I cannot say enough good things about the program. There are 5 kids in our family, 4 in or out of college. 2 of us got National Merit and got almost full rides to OU (it's not quite full, but close), one got commended and got a nice scholarship out of that, and the child still in high school is well on her way to being a NM scholar as well. That's a lot of scholarship money!
Oh wow, that's awesome!!!

Old 09-17-2013, 03:38 PM

2,346 posts, read 5,802,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by synchronicity View Post
Still surprised to see Rockwall ISD seemingly come out of nowhere to put up some serious NMSF percentages. Haven't run the numbers but they may have the highest percentage for any district with more than one high school (at a glance from the numbers posted earlier they're at over 2.5% districtwide, which would top Plano and Lewisville).
Well....

The DMN has Rockwall ISD listed as only 4 for Heath and only 1 for Rockwall, rather than 9 and 13.

Those lower numbers seem more plausible, based on previous years' figures. So I'm guessing the source I used for these percentages had those particular schools wrong. Surprising, since everything else from there is spot-on.

Old 09-17-2013, 04:23 PM

552 posts, read 734,042 times
The most straightforward way for DISD to rise in the standings would be to increase the number of slots in the TAG program, until every parent of a high-achieving child could feel confident that there was room for their child there. Presto - influx of NMSF-caliber students who would otherwise have left DISD for high school.

Except that the DISD leadership, who appropriately represent the interests of the 95 percent of DISD students who are mostly lower-income and not on the NMSF track, would understandably object to funneling resources to a second, separate track rather than going back to the neighborhood schools that almost all of the current students attend.

Hence, the only chance for this happening would be to somehow achieve mayoral control for the schools under a strong mayor, who with the interests of all Dallas families and taxpayers in mind, would have the political capital to make TAG expansion happen over the strong objections of the incumbents. Slim chances of that happening, right?

Old 09-17-2013, 04:51 PM

2,812 posts, read 3,573,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mSooner View Post
I've posted this before, but I don't mind doing it again. FMHS has a very specific "bootcamp" style program that has been around over 10 years now and has consistently produced better and better results.
Thanks for the details. I'd referenced the program a few times in this thread but it's great to see exactly how they set it up. And I'm not surprised that other districts are interested in emulating it.

Old 09-17-2013, 04:55 PM

16,092 posts, read 35,820,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Walter Benjamin View Post
The most straightforward way for DISD to rise in the standings would be to increase the number of slots in the TAG program, until every parent of a high-achieving child could feel confident that there was room for their child there. Presto - influx of NMSF-caliber students who would otherwise have left DISD for high school.

Except that the DISD leadership, who appropriately represent the interests of the 95 percent of DISD students who are mostly lower-income and not on the NMSF track, would understandably object to funneling resources to a second, separate track rather than going back to the neighborhood schools that almost all of the current students attend.

Hence, the only chance for this happening would be to somehow achieve mayoral control for the schools under a strong mayor, who with the interests of all Dallas families and taxpayers in mind, would have the political capital to make TAG expansion happen over the strong objections of the incumbents. Slim chances of that happening, right?
I'm thinking you mean the TAG/SEM magnets.

That is fine for the single-minded student who is not interested in athletic and extracurricular activites. The district needs strengthen prep programs at W.T. White, Hillcrest and Woodrow and maybe Skyline (the comprehensive high schools most likely to have a pool of students with potential for NMSF and offering a full range of AP classes - plus IB at Woodrow) rather than running district-wide Saturday sessions at North Dallas HS.

We are already doing that at WW, where SAT prep is now a regular class and Princeton Review has been brought in as a contractor. Our foundation just announce prep help for those who cannot afford the private programs: Woodrow Wilson High School Community Foundation announces financial assistance | Dallasnews.com - News for Dallas, Texas - The Dallas Morning News
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or