Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-26-2007, 02:32 PM

16,087 posts, read 41,147,800 times

Advertisements

No 'hot peppers' ? Um, you shouldn't admit that if you want to be a Texan.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-26-2007, 02:39 PM

875 posts, read 1,092,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakewooder View Post
No 'hot peppers' ? Um, you shouldn't admit that if you want to be a Texan.
It's not the flavor I don't like - if ya get my drift! I love peppers, I just don't care for a lot of jallepenos in my food.

Old 11-26-2007, 07:13 PM

39 posts, read 169,820 times
El Fuego in Richardson has authentic Mexican Food.
Its on the SW corner of Plano and Campbell.
They only serve lunch right now.

El Grande Burrito in Allen (Bethany and Greenville) is very good as well. As their name implies they specialize in Burritos but have other dishes (tacos, quesadillas etc.) as well. They are more like the California Burritos than anywhere else I have tried in the Dallas area.
(Note: I have only had Burritos in Northern California even though I did spend several years in Southern California as well).

I also second the recommendation on Primos in Mckinney.

Old 11-26-2007, 07:38 PM

1,379 posts, read 6,424,364 times
Lady I am with ya. We have been trying to find something comparable to our local haunt that I grew up with. I miss Jimboys and Cafe Delicious

We found a little hole in the wall in East Texas called Cancun Dave's in Kilgore that was great!!

Old 11-26-2007, 09:36 PM

1,067 posts, read 5,653,319 times
anyone want to met at Primos on Mcdonald this week?

Old 11-26-2007, 09:43 PM

3,589 posts, read 4,145,884 times
It's probably not "authentic" but I really like La Finca on Bethany in Allen. It has the greatest steak fajita enchiladas I've ever had. Gawd are they good. Whenever we're up in Allen we usually have lunch or dinner there. Mmmmmmmmmmmmm.

Old 11-27-2007, 10:08 AM

501 posts, read 1,462,635 times
Ojeda's just opened up in Plano at Park and Coit. We have really missed them since they closed down on 75 in Plano and on Beltline in Garland, they have the BEST salsa. It's not authentic Mexican food but it is very good Tex-Mex.

Old 11-27-2007, 12:27 PM

26 posts, read 30,328 times
These have all been great suggestions!

I would just like to clarify one point which was made earlier but may have been misunderstood.

Tex-Mex is authentic Mexican food. It is a regional dish from "this" part of Mexico. And by "this" part of Mexico I mean Texas-because this used to be Mexico-and the Northern Mexico region that borders the present day U.S.

Many Mexican immigrants and their descedants in Texas are also Northern Mexico natives, so it makes sense that Tex-Mex as we know it is so common around here. Now, many chain Mexicain resturaunts claim to serve Tex-Mex when in fact it is a watered down version...kind of like Olive Garden is to Italian food.

In California, as was pointed out earlier they are more of the Baja California Mexican culture as opposed to the Northern Mexican culture. As such the cuisuine typically found over there leans more toward Baja which is heavy on the seafood.

Ok, just wanted to point those things out. Many people make the mistake of thinking that Tex-Mex means American/Mexican food when in fact it is simply a regional Mexican dish.

Old 11-27-2007, 01:06 PM

3,589 posts, read 4,145,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyDadof2 View Post
Ojeda's just opened up in Plano at Park and Coit. We have really missed them since they closed down on 75 in Plano and on Beltline in Garland, they have the BEST salsa. It's not authentic Mexican food but it is very good Tex-Mex.
When I go to Ojeda's I go to the one on Maple...it's the first one but it's not in the original location. My parents met at the car wash across the street...lots of history there for us.

Old 11-28-2007, 07:28 AM

1,298 posts, read 4,286,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Contrails View Post
These have all been great suggestions!

I would just like to clarify one point which was made earlier but may have been misunderstood.

Tex-Mex is authentic Mexican food. It is a regional dish from "this" part of Mexico. And by "this" part of Mexico I mean Texas-because this used to be Mexico-and the Northern Mexico region that borders the present day U.S.

Many Mexican immigrants and their descedants in Texas are also Northern Mexico natives, so it makes sense that Tex-Mex as we know it is so common around here. Now, many chain Mexicain resturaunts claim to serve Tex-Mex when in fact it is a watered down version...kind of like Olive Garden is to Italian food.

In California, as was pointed out earlier they are more of the Baja California Mexican culture as opposed to the Northern Mexican culture. As such the cuisuine typically found over there leans more toward Baja which is heavy on the seafood.

Ok, just wanted to point those things out. Many people make the mistake of thinking that Tex-Mex means American/Mexican food when in fact it is simply a regional Mexican dish.
Contrails, thanks for this! I've always heard people claiming that Tex-Mex is not authentic, sort of like a bastardized version of Mexican. Great to know that it's an authentic cuisine in its own right!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas