U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-18-2013, 10:23 AM

6 posts, read 8,186 times

Advertisements

Hi Guys,
This is my first time posting here. I am planning to relocate from Charlotte, NC to the Dallas are in June/July 2014. I am looking for specific advice/suggestions on the following:
1. I will work from home, so commutes and finding work is not something I'm concerned with.
2. I have a 7th grade son and a 1 year old. I will need to find areas with the best schools/neighborhood for elementary- high school.
3. I plan to rent at first so I'm needing a home to rent for 3 people or a townhouse/apt.
4. I am very involved in a Baptist Church here in Charlotte, NC and would like to find something similar there.

Can you provide any suggestions/advice for the best areas to live that is suitable for a family? I am not interested in single life/night life type entertainment? Even if you want to offer areas NOT to look at that is good info also. Thank you in advance for your help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-18-2013, 10:40 AM

19,631 posts, read 53,468,042 times
Need your budget for renting and then buying to make recommendations.

Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.

Old 09-18-2013, 10:48 AM

Default Rental Budget

Thanks for asking. My rental budget is $1K.

Old 09-18-2013, 10:59 AM

2,234 posts, read 2,757,219 times
There are LOTS of Baptist churches here, from small to super-size. That part won't be a problem.

Old 09-18-2013, 12:10 PM

1,212 posts, read 1,769,436 times
I vote plano. With that budget, it won't be that easy to find a decent size apartment.

Old 09-18-2013, 12:18 PM

Hock Dad,
I'm comparing the mortgage that I have in Charlotte for a 3 bed room house. What would be standard rental rate for a 3 bed room in Dallas?

Old 09-18-2013, 12:34 PM

502 posts, read 613,529 times
We were paying $1950 for a very old 4 BDRM SFH in Coppell, 1 of the top performing ISDs.

Old 09-18-2013, 12:41 PM

140 posts, read 178,412 times
You can get a 3-bedroom apartment in Coppell or Flower Mound for around $1,200 a month, and both places have great reputations for schools, but the lower-rent apartments will be zoned for the less highly rated schools in the district (i.e. schools rated a 7 or 8 on Greatschools instead of the usual 9 or 10 for those areas). This may have more to do with demographic influence on test scores than the quality of the teachers and schools, but you will want to consider peer groups as well. Flower Mound is in Lewisville ISD, which now has a policy that you can request to send your kid to any school in Lewisville ISD *IF* there is room in that school, so you may not be stuck with the school for which you are zoned (but the best probably fill up quickly). Both Coppell and Flower Mound are very family friendly places, and Baptist churches abound in the DFW area - you will have no trouble finding one.

Old 09-18-2013, 02:50 PM

11,671 posts, read 21,231,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by serenity23 View Post
Hock Dad,
I'm comparing the mortgage that I have in Charlotte for a 3 bed room house. What would be standard rental rate for a 3 bed room in Dallas?
For a 3-BR house in any sort of good public school district, I think you're looking at $2k/mo minimum for rent.

Old 09-18-2013, 07:52 PM

704 posts, read 657,219 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VegasMan_72 View Post
We were paying $1950 for a very old 4 BDRM SFH in Coppell, 1 of the top performing ISDs.
I agree, I too rented a townhouse at Mansions at the Lake (don't be fooled by the name) we paid around $2300 for a 4 bedroom. I believe 3 bdrms ran around 18-1900
I live in Charlotte currently, I actually love fr Charlotte to DFW back to Charlotte back to DFW and now back to Charlotte and considering going back to DFW in the future. I could probably help you out with honest answers as I like both placed equally but can relate with all the differences you may encounter .

First and foremost, the Dallas area has lots of good places to live and plenty of good schools districts. The one thing I will say, is that even though you dot have a commute, think of things you like to do on a daily basis an make sure you're pretty close to them. My only real complaint about DFW is that no matter where you are going, it's a half hour or more in the car.

Plano/McKinney/Frisco - all decent places, very cookie cutter all big box shopping
North Dallas is very nice but quite a bit more money, lots of small business and neat places to go, lots of parks and safe
Arlington was my personal favorite, lots of culture, small business and the heart of the metro. But can be a bit rundown in spots I'd stick to SW Arlington for schools, check out 76001, fannin farm was a real nice community with a great mix of people and very affordable. Those homes fall into Mansfield Isd which is pretty good
Mansfield was a nice city, basically a small addition to Arlington good schools, gold coarse etc but not much for shopping, but you'd go into Arlington.id stay north of Broad st.
Ft.Worth - spotty but some areas are really nice. A growing city for sure
Coppell is nice but definitely spender, I dot see the value, I lived there and spent about 30% more to be there and didn't understand what all the was about. Kind of snooty, compare it to the dilworth area here in Charlotte only not as pretty
Grapevine is nice, nice small downtown area like in the hallmark movies, lots of small town activities, near the lake, close to the grapevine mills mall (same as concord mills mall) every dining option and shopping option you could want. Prices there are fair. Schools are decent. My son went to middle schools there and liked it and my other son went to silver lake elem and we loved that school. Dove elem seemed real nice too. Just a good feeling town. Plus it's real close to the airport, So is Coppell since it's right across the interstate
Euless is good too, older and larger lots.
Southlake is overhyped too
As far as other Dallas suburbs I can't help too much. The reasons we ended up in the areas we did and know so much about them is because those are the areas that fit the criteria we wanted. Yours may be different and I'm sure someone on here will sit and dispute things I say because I offended them in some way unintentionally. That's why I'd say just private message me if I can help with specifics

I wouldn't go too much further out then the drive anywhere is a haul.

But private messages and I'd e happy to discuss some of your questions without bias
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or