U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-19-2013, 04:13 PM

48 posts, read 88,536 times

Advertisements

I'm excited to attend my first Cowboys game on Sunday the 22nd. I haven't been to Dallas in over 8 years. I'm staying close to the stadium in Arlington. I'm interested in checking out some local spots. I'll have a car rental so I'm willing to drive a ways so long its' not like 9+miles away one way. The close the better though.

1. Anyone know of a great local steak restaurant not to far from Arlington. Something local and not franchise of course. I'm flying in from Las Vegas, NV were we have pretty much everything.

2. A great place to have a burger.

3. A nice local brewery with great food. Or a nice sportsbar for Sat. night. I want to check out the UFC PPV.

If anybody has some suggestions I would love to hear them. Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-19-2013, 04:37 PM

2,828 posts, read 3,395,509 times
All you need is legs and eggs.....LOL KIDDING. I don't know the Arlington area well but from what I've seen its a bit chainish. Not sure what you will fine in regards to a non chain steak place, but I do know there are some local breweries out there.

Old 09-19-2013, 04:43 PM

2,084 posts, read 2,454,132 times
[quote=D.A.Lobo;31475421]I'm excited to attend my first Cowboys game on Sunday the 22nd. I haven't been to Dallas in over 8 years. I'm staying close to the stadium in Arlington. I'm interested in checking out some local spots. I'll have a car rental so I'm willing to drive a ways so long its' not like 9+miles away one way. The close the better though.

There's really not anything interesting within 9 miles of the Stadium

Quote:
1. Anyone know of a great local steak restaurant not to far from Arlington. Something local and not franchise of course. I'm flying in from Las Vegas, NV were we have pretty much everything.
JR's in Colleyvile, and Mac's. There's also a Mac's in Arlington. There's a Texas Land and Cattle off 30 near the stadium. I would drive to Dallas for a really good steak. Nick & Sam's, Al Berneits, or Capitol Grille are all better.

Quote:
Jake's is my favorite local place. Maple N Motor is also very popular.

Quote:
3. A nice local brewery with great food. Or a nice sportsbar for Sat. night. I want to check out the UFC PPV.
There's a Sherlocks in Arlington, but Dallas has a lot more options. Victory Tavern, Meddlesome Moth, Common Table

Old 09-19-2013, 04:52 PM

9,521 posts, read 19,560,995 times
Welcome to Reata Restaurants : Fine Dining, Southwestern Restaurant, Texas Cuisine, Premium Steakhouse is in downtown Fort Worth and is VERY Texan! It's not a chain, although they do have another location in Alpine, Tx. Their rooftop bar is really nice!
Please do not go to Texas Land & Cattle or JR's. Ick.

We don't have a lot of breweries with food yet. Texas law was only recently changed to allow them, and not many have been built yet.

Old 09-19-2013, 05:32 PM

1,595 posts, read 1,577,886 times
For burgers, there's a Twisted Root at 310 E Abram. They have exotic meats which can be good. It's not as good as what you can find outside of Arlington, but if you are limited in your drive distance, It's better than something like Redneck Heaven.

Old 09-19-2013, 05:41 PM

409 posts, read 534,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdallas View Post
For burgers, there's a Twisted Root at 310 E Abram. They have exotic meats which can be good. It's not as good as what you can find outside of Arlington, but if you are limited in your drive distance, It's better than something like Redneck Heaven.

I came to recommend the same burger place, and I even think you're cutting it short. In my opinion, Twisted Root is a top 5 burger for this region....maybe top 3. I've never been to the Arlington location, but if it's as good as Deep Ellum, SMU, and Bedford....

This probably isn't the place to watch UFC PPV, but if you want a great selection of beers there's World of Beer on Cooper Street.

http://www.yelp.com/biz/world-of-beer-arlington

Old 09-19-2013, 05:50 PM

5,681 posts, read 9,687,425 times
Can't really answer your questions, as I'm not very familiar with the area around the stadium, but we're fairly new residents, and will be going to our first Cowboys game in October! Win or lose it will be a party, because we're going with a group of friends who will be visiting from out of town!

Hope you have a fantastic time and GO COWBOYS!

Old 09-19-2013, 06:21 PM

48 posts, read 88,536 times
WoW thanks for the recommendation guys. That Reata restaurant looks very nice. I might have to take a trip over there.

I'll be in Dallas Friday night so anywhere in the Dallas area around the airport would be great. I hear McKenney Street (sp?) is a popular place for bars, lounges,etc?

Old 09-19-2013, 09:15 PM

9,521 posts, read 19,560,995 times
Reata is AWESOME and well worth the drive. Their ribeye is amazing! And the decor is pure Texas, too. Service is always just perfect. Get the Clear Fork Cherry Limeade.

Do you mean Dallas Love Field or DFW International airport?

Old 09-20-2013, 02:27 AM

10,903 posts, read 5,120,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by D.A.Lobo View Post
I'm excited to attend my first Cowboys game on Sunday the 22nd. I haven't been to Dallas in over 8 years. I'm staying close to the stadium in Arlington. I'm interested in checking out some local spots. I'll have a car rental so I'm willing to drive a ways so long its' not like 9+miles away one way. The close the better though.

If anybody has some suggestions I would love to hear them. Thank you.
You need to plan on Saturday evening in downtown Ft Worth - there are a couple of really good steak houses in downtown, but I also recommend Reata. Food and atmosphere are great. You will also find a vibrant nightlife in downtown Ft Worth - plenty of free parking lots and very safe. Pretty area.

The competition just ended for the Burger War and the winner was Rodeo Goat (near downtown Ft. Worth) - we went for lunch and I highly recommend it. Rodeo Goat is a great burger place, bar and often has live music on the weekends. Rodeo Goat They have TV's everywhere, I guess there is a chance they might have the UFC. A long time local favorite in Arlington is Al's Hamburgers on Green Oaks (north Arlington) - not special like RG, but always a good burger. Fort Worth has a good brewery, but no food - Brew Pubs haven't really hit here yet. The Flying Saucer in downtown Ft Worth is a big hang out with a huge selection of craft beer.
Downtown Fort Worth is maybe a 15 minute drive down I-30, west of Arlington - easy to get to.

Information about Arlington is really attached more to the Fort Worth forum, so you might get some questions answered there about the Sports Bars -

About parking at the stadium - it's expensive, very expensive. If you don't plan on walking, then look into eating at a place that offers a free or low cost shuttle - usually at Lincoln Square. You might need a reservation for that - I hear places are packed. You will love Cowboy Stadium, welcome to Texas.

Easy to find a place to watch the fight in Arlington, but you might spend a little time and check out some of the places to see if they suit you and to make sure they are really going to have the flight. Mavericks (Main St) and Blaze's Sports Bar (Pecan St) are both near the University in Central Arlington - lots of college kids. Mavericks has a good reputation and Blaze seems popular, with the fight advertised on their Facebook page. Humperdinks is supposed to have the UFC, is a brew pub AND has a shuttle to the Cowboy game - good reviews. Right near the stadium and close to where you are staying. This could be your best bet.
Watch UFC in ARLINGTON - UFC Bar Listings

Anything on N. Collins or the Six Flags location is good for you. The Sky Box has some bad reviews, so I would check it out before planning for there. It's going to be a much quieter place, near Cowboy Stadium. Fox & Hound would be close - it's a chain type place, all the others are local except for the Hooters in your area. Good reviews but complaints about smoke. I know the Maverick is non-smoking but don't know about the rest.

You should be able to also find a lot of Sports Bars in Fort Worth that will have the UFC if you want to wander that direction. Google is your friend.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or