U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-23-2013, 08:39 PM

2,256 posts, read 2,965,335 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurtleCreek80 View Post

Finding an apartment within walking distance of grocery store / pharmacy/ church (if important to you)/ those places you go at least weekly- is KEY.
I second this, especially the part about grocery stores. Beside work and home the grocery store is where you'll be most frequently, and if you have one within walking distance that's the vast majority of your travel covered without stepping foot on the DART. And of course many grocery stores have pharmacies inside too, so there's a plus.

It's definitely doable, but live close to a DART line and its surprisingly "not bad" getting around Dallas. You learn to plan around your transit options. (I have a car but the traffic here is horrifyingly bad so I try to use DART as much as possible)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-23-2013, 10:33 PM

3,166 posts, read 4,823,301 times
Kudos to you if you can do it in Dallas, but I would put money on the fact that you wont last past the 4th of July in the summer.

Old 09-23-2013, 10:55 PM

10,180 posts, read 16,748,016 times
I have two car-free friends in Richardson who ride the DART rail and buses regularly. They're both fine with it, but I wouldn't be!

Old 09-24-2013, 05:51 AM

9,515 posts, read 19,538,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mSooner View Post
Kudos to you if you can do it in Dallas, but I would put money on the fact that you wont last past the 4th of July in the summer.
Second that. Our summers are just too brutally hot and humid. Baltimore doesn't even come close...

Old 09-24-2013, 07:31 AM

2,084 posts, read 2,451,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristieP View Post
Second that. Our summers are just too brutally hot and humid. Baltimore doesn't even come close...
I disagree. There are tons of places that are hotter or more humid where people mainly get around by foot; Like Cairo!

Heck, even New York gets really muggy in the summer, and millions of people walk there.

Unless the OP is morbidly obese or way out of shape even a .5 to 1mile should be doable with out being drenched. I doubt the the OP is obese or out of shape if already walking/biking everywhere. However, walking and biking is a good remedy for those things.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurtleCreek80 View Post
It is definitely possible but takes careful planning - ie, both your job and your apartment / house need to be located on the same light rail line to keep things as simple as possible....or live close enough into downtown that the bus line is a straight shot in (ie, some of the renovated apartments on Gaston just south of Lakewood Village where the bus ride is probably 10-15 minutes with no transfers).

Finding an apartment within walking distance of grocery store / pharmacy/ church (if important to you)/ those places you go at least weekly- is KEY.

I'll echo what other pp's said about cycling in Dallas. We have some great recreational cycling spots like White Rock Lake and the 200+ miles of trails the city is building to connect to one another. What we don't have many of AT ALL is cycling lanes on surface streets. I used to live near White Rock and it always made me nervous seeing the cyclist on Abrams or Fisher on their way to the lake- they act like they think they are cars and the cars are somewhere between oblivious and annoyed to share the surface streets with bikes.
^this

Last edited by RonnieinDallas; 09-24-2013 at 07:39 AM..

Old 09-24-2013, 07:56 AM

1,788 posts, read 1,887,303 times
The July average high in NYC is 84. That is the highest of the year. Average lows are in the 60s or below every month.

Dallas is a searing furnace compared to NYC.

Old 09-24-2013, 08:20 AM

622 posts, read 562,741 times
ajacksb,

Welcome!

You should be covered there. Be aware that you will need to drink a LOT more water in the summertime than you're used to - Maryland takes a 99-degree/99-humidity day for granted, so if you're like a lot of Marylanders, you won't think it really is all that different...but it is. The sun is *much* more intense down here -- we're more or less on the same latitude as Tripoli. In the winter, the temperatures will mostly be a joke by your standards (many of the natives start pulling out blankets when it's in the low 60s, if that tells you anything), but unlike Maryland, if we get a "real" winter, you can expect strong, cold northern winds, and you'll need to take both the heat and the wind into account when you plot out your routes and such. The urban canyons of downtown magnifies the heat and funnels those winds bigtime, and it can get quite unpleasant. If you plan for it ahead of time you ought to do great -- if you don't, you may find yourself driving eventually anyway (you wouldn't be the first I've met driving from a downtown loft to a downtown job!).

Old 09-24-2013, 08:25 AM

23,618 posts, read 31,198,912 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mSooner View Post
I was thinking the same thing. Let's get a pool going, each kick in five bucks, and pick a date in 2014 that the OP will surrender and buy a car.

I'll give him a little longer and say....August 16th, 2014.

No offense, OP; I applaud your desire to live car-free, g-d knows I'd love to ditch mine...but it's next to impossible here.

Old 09-24-2013, 09:40 AM

36 posts, read 53,674 times
I have been car-free in Dallas for over 4 years now. So it is definitely possible. The key, as a few others have mentioned, is planning where you live with respect to where you work. Since you will be working downtown, it should not be a problem at all.

Another key is to realize that DART is a lot more than the rail system. The buses will take you many more places than the rail. I have ridden them for 4 years with no problems and have met some great people as a result. That would not be possible stuck in a car on Central.

Old 09-24-2013, 10:43 AM

3,166 posts, read 4,823,301 times
I guess what I'm saying is there isn't any reason you cant live close and bike most of the time, but why not get a car anyway and avoid pigeonholing yourself into one area or dealing with some awful weather. Get an old clunker--the cost will be minimal and insurance will be cheap...and it will be there when you need it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or