U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-24-2013, 10:02 AM

240 posts, read 273,016 times

Advertisements

Hello Forum Members,

First of all I would like to thank everyone in this community who helped me with all sort of advice's and tips that helped me with a smooth transition from NY to Dallas about 3 months back. After relocating, I have enjoyed every bit of Dallas and now I wish to buy a house here so I am coming back to you guys for more recommendations/suggestions.

I currently like in E. Plano (Bordering Murphy) but I am interested to buy a house near the Coppell/Flower Mound/South Lake area. some of my requirements are as below.

1) I have a budget of 3.5 to 4.0 but willing to stretch up to 4.5 if I really like the house.
2) I have a 1 year old son so the School district is very much important to me.
3) The house needs to have descent yard space.
4) Closer to major highways.

I checked out a few houses in Coppell but most of the houses that I saw doesn't seem to have much of yard space and a few homes that I saw in South Lake with a descent yard space seems to be way over my budget and that now leaves me with the option of exploring houses in Flower Mound.

I drove through the Flower Mound area yesterday and quiet honestly I really did like FM. The houses that I saw there were really beautiful and I must admit some of them do have real good yard space.

At this point I think I would really like to go with FM but before I do so I would like to check with forum members who live in the FM area about a couple of things.

1) How is the overall school district in FM? Is there any particular school zones that you would like me to avoid?

2) Which part of FM should I consider when buying a home. Also is there any particular area you would like me to avoid?. Accessibility to highways is important.

3) Will the FM area be connected by DART in the future?

4) How's the safety factor at FM. Is it a family oriented neighborhood?

5) I did see a couple of new house construction going on at FM (David Weekly and American Legends homes). Are there any more builders that are constructing in that area that I can choose from if I decide to construct a home?

6) Anything else that you may think is good for me to know about FM.

Looking forward to hearing from you guys..

Thanks again

Jacob
Quick reply to this message

Old 09-24-2013, 12:31 PM

23 posts, read 44,634 times
I don't have answers to all of your questions, but I can give you some direction. Flower Mound is very family friendly and is very safe. It is part of Lewisville ISD. You'll want to look at schools feeding Flower Mound HS and Marcus HS. I generally hear that FMHS is the better of the two, but I don't have kids that age, so I can't vouch for that.
You might try the Wellington community. It feeds great schools and has a family friendly vibe. For highway access you might consider the areas feeding Bluebonnet Elementary. It's about as far southeast (close to 121) that you can get and still feed FMHS. Both of those areas would have plenty of options in your price range.
You may also want to research the Lakeside Development. I'm not an expert on it, but I imagine new construction will be popping up that may affect you positively or negatively, depending on your needs.

Old 09-24-2013, 10:07 PM

94 posts, read 160,015 times
1) The schools are uniformly excellent with the exception of Vickery Elementary, which has a split 25/75 FM/Lewisville enrollment, so different demographics from the rest of FM. I visited Vickery and would absolutely send my kid there, but if you are looking for great test scores, look elsewhere.

2) We live in the southeast corner (zoned to Bluebonnet like the other poster mentioned) and love it for highway access. It is about 5 mins to 121, 10 mins to 635 or 35, and there are back roads you can take to avoid 2499 and the DFW Connector when they are a mess.

3) I doubt DART will ever make it all the way here, but it is about 10 or 15 mins to the green line in Carrollton or the orange line in Irving.

4) Totally family oriented. We moved here from Las Colinas and there is SO much more to do with the kids here. Very very safe.

5) First Texas has a development on Spinks Road, near Bluebonnet Elementary. There is also some work going on at 3040 and Garden Ridge that looks like new homes, eventually. Toll Brothers has Flower Mound Oaks, but I believe it is zoned to Vickery. And Lakeside DFW is going up.

6) We really love it here!

Old 09-25-2013, 11:29 AM

240 posts, read 273,016 times
Thanks williams18 & Back2Texas for your replies. I will do some more research based on your suggestions. I will definitely be looking for houses in the Blubonnet & Wellington community.

Old 09-25-2013, 11:33 AM

29,920 posts, read 34,517,946 times
I've been working with a guy in your price range for about the last month in FM. Most Homes are selling very quickly so be prepared to move quickly with a very good offer if you find a home you like.

Old 09-25-2013, 12:32 PM

3,166 posts, read 4,813,434 times
Quote:
1) How is the overall school district in FM? Is there any particular school zones that you would like me to avoid?
Anything zoned to Flower Mound High School is fine. Anything zoned to Marcus High Schools is fine, but maybe not *quite* as good as Flower Mound High School, but certainly not bad. Both are in LISD. Avoid anything zoned to Lewisville High School.

2) Which part of FM should I consider when buying a home. Also is there any particular area you would like me to avoid?. Accessibility to highways is important.

I'd stay on the South/Southwest end or West end, as close to 3040 and 2499 as possible. There are some nice neighborhoods near Gerault Park on off 2499 to the west. I would say avoid the Eastern end of Flower Mound (east of 2499). I personally feel like the further east you go, the less nicer the homes get, etc. If Flower Mound ever went downhill, the east side would go first.

I also recommend Wellington--close to schools, lots of amenities, beautiful community. In fact, my parents may be putting their home (very close to an elementary school) on the market there in just a few months. It was a great place for them to raise a family. (If they move, they are building their dream home further out on a larger lot) PM me if you might be interested.

3) Will the FM area be connected by DART in the future?

If it is, it will be YEARS. Maybe decades. Don't count on it.

4) How's the safety factor at FM. Is it a family oriented neighborhood?

Totally fine, very safe. In fact, the cops are bored to death. So family oriented that you wont find a lot of very older and younger singles there. It's really mostly people raising families.

5) I did see a couple of new house construction going on at FM (David Weekly and American Legends homes). Are there any more builders that are constructing in that area that I can choose from if I decide to construct a home?

Toll Brothers, but they will be out of your price range and the lot sizes are ridiculously small. The location of a lot of the new homes in Flower Mound (especially in your price range) leaves A LOT to be desired as well. You are better off going with an existing home.

6) Anything else that you may think is good for me to know about FM.

Your commute could be rough. Coppell is a lot easier, but a lot of people who originally looked in Coppell ended up in Flower Mound because they couldn't find the large lot/home they wanted in Coppell. That and the taxes are quite a bit lower out of Dallas County. ~2.17% as compared to ~2.79
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or