U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-25-2013, 10:48 AM

1 posts, read 1,731 times

Advertisements

Hello all! Please help me decide where our family of 5 should live! My hubby's employment is very flexible so we are not worried about location in relation to his employer. We are doing a USDA loan and have to be under contract this week. So, really I'm asking you to please help me chose the most desirable out of the bunch based upon your knowledge of these areas in terms of safety and reputation. Let me clarify- I don't think these places are bad, I'm just being silly with the idea of poison. I titled the thread in the manner that I did because I believe there is a strong chance that most of you may think that my choices are all negative.

Below you will find an array "Poison" to chose from-

Krum
Little Elm
Oak Point/Cross Roads
Celina
Melissa
Forney
Royce City
Justin

I am prepared to hear move to Coppell or Flowermound etc. They aren't an option with this loan and we aren't going conventional or FHA. This USDA loan works for us for many reasons. (Also we currently live in Coppell and although nice we don't plan on staying) I'm a certified teacher and spend my days homeschooling our kids 8, 6 and 5 so the very best school district is not a priority.

A little about us....

We:
-are from Southern California and want a different lifestyle for our kids
-LOVE Texas!
-want a safe place raise our kids
-want a place to grow some roots
-are buying a house primarily as a Home - investment aspect is not priority
-travel often and like the idea of low overhead
-would like a real backyard!

Thank you for taking the time to comment. I truly appreciate your input.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-25-2013, 10:55 AM

19,651 posts, read 53,664,683 times
Neither Little Elm nor Oak Point are poison. There are some nice areas in both - I live in Little Elm but the Frisco ISD. Oak Point has some horse properties, not exactly cheap. Also a polo club.

I think you need to look north of Hwy 380 to get what you want. I am not sure what the requirements are for USDA.

Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.

Old 09-25-2013, 11:01 AM

2,828 posts, read 3,398,677 times
Celina is a nice little community with a lot of local spirit around their HS football team. Also Melissa seems too cookie cutter. Thats about all I can offer. Good luck!

Old 09-25-2013, 11:02 AM

9,524 posts, read 19,579,089 times
Those places are literally all over the map. Hopefully your hubby will be working from home because commuting anywhere in town from those places will be very lengthy!

What's your price range? Do you want just a "backyard" or are you looking for acreage? With a USDA loan, does it need to be an ag exempt property?

Old 09-25-2013, 01:32 PM

974 posts, read 1,764,808 times
Forney is perhaps the least developed but soon-to-be ( in the next 5 - 7 yrs) and is just about a 30 minute drive to downtown Dallas for reference. I'm guessing with the proposed "Crossing" developing over the next few years...this area will probably wind up looking more and more like a McKinney area. Getting in now while housing costs are less might be a smart move in 5 or so years down the road.

Does anyone know if the GBT is going to extend further south across I-30? Seems there's quite a clear path to do that from what I've seen flying above the area recently.

Just wondering.

Old 09-25-2013, 01:37 PM

502 posts, read 615,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeenThereDunThat View Post
Does anyone know if the GBT is going to extend further south across I-30? Seems there's quite a clear path to do that from what I've seen flying above the area recently.

Just wondering.
It goes all the way south to I-20.

Old 09-25-2013, 07:18 PM

9,524 posts, read 19,579,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VegasMan_72 View Post
It goes all the way south to I-20.
Not yet on the east side. It stops at I30. Not likely to go further south thru Sunnyvale any time soon due to $$$ land prices and resistance from cities.

Old 09-25-2013, 08:30 PM

974 posts, read 1,764,808 times
Yep...it stops at the I-30 by the lake. I use the GBT all the time coming in from East Tx.. I exit Hwy 80 at Beltline and drive about 5 miles to I-30 and get on GBT. It's great for bypassing the hassle on 635 in the late afternoon. Sure I pay tolls but it's worth it to me anyway to get to N. Dallas without too much headache during evening traffic when I'm heading West.

As I stated previously... I was flying over I-30 and noted that GBT could work but getting past Sunnyvale would be a bit of a problem. If it did...it sure would open the area up. But still Forney is a pretty easy drive to downtown and no tolls (yet)!

Old 10-15-2013, 12:29 PM

766 posts, read 1,306,435 times
GBT will be going through Sunnyvale - there's no opposition to it going through, just what path it takes. There are 2 options that TxDOT is considering and the majority of the town want it close to the lake, the property owners/developers want to develop the land front property (someday to be like Rockwall's) and want it to go through the middle of the town. We've had town meetings in the past year and TxDOT is just taking their time. I'm thinking it will be finished in 10-12 years...

BTW - I love Forney. It is a great little town (my kids play all their sports there).

Old 10-15-2013, 12:42 PM

11,688 posts, read 21,311,402 times
I would say Forney if you are open to looking east (most of your choices are north). For north, Little Elm w Frisco ISD is best if you can swing it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas