U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-25-2013, 03:13 PM

2 posts, read 2,253 times

Advertisements

My wife is unexpectedly getting transferred to Dallas at her current job. I am pretty reluctant as I have lived in New England my whole life and know NOTHING about Dallas (or Texas for that matter). I have started to do research but have only found what I would call "stereotypical" results on what it's like to live there. I'd love to get a little better idea of what life is REALLY like there, and what Neighborhoods might be best. My wife and I are pretty community driven, but also like to get out and enjoy nice dinners, our kids sports activities, etc.

My son has also just started playing football for his school. Do Dallas community/schools put as much emphasis on football as I have heard? (A little concerned as a Dad, as I'm not crazy about him signing up to play).

Anyways, in a nutshell wondering as a whole what it is like as a whole. Any neighborhood info would be greatly appreciated as well!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-25-2013, 03:18 PM

19,643 posts, read 53,556,179 times
Since the DFW metroplex is bigger than a few NE states together, we need an approximate location of the job and budget. Willing to ride the light rail?

Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.

Old 09-25-2013, 03:22 PM

258 posts, read 437,030 times
Dallas is a great place to raise a family. The cost of living is much lower than what you're used to in New England, so you can get more house for your money (if that's important to you). We have everything here -- museums, culture, entertainment, sports, parks, lakes, etc. Schools range from very good to very poor, depending on where you choose to live, but there are some fabulous private schools if you're willing to go that route.

There are hundreds of neighborhoods in and around Dallas, so it would be helpful have a little more information so that we can help narrow down recommendations. What part of town will your wife's office be in? Are you going to be looking for a job here, too? Do you prefer suburban or in-town living? What's your housing budget?

Old 09-25-2013, 04:00 PM

1,212 posts, read 1,772,150 times
I echo the fellow posters. We need more information on budgets, number of kids, ages of kids, salary, etc.

As for the football comment- yes Texas loves its football, but it also loves soccer, tennis, golf, lacrosse, basketball, etc. 5 million people in the metroplex- you can find your niche.

Old 09-25-2013, 06:18 PM

284 posts, read 381,774 times
We were just relocated here from NY/NJ this summer with two kids and this board is very helpful. If you answer the questions the previous poster(s) ask you will get wonderful responses. We also lived in th northeast our entire lives and knew nothing about Dallas or Texas, by the way. You'll find there are a a lot of our kind down here.

Old 09-25-2013, 07:45 PM

14,324 posts, read 20,579,417 times
We just moved a couple of months ago it is very different, but filled with great people! Definitely give more information, where your wife is going to work, desired commute time budget etc.

From what I have seen, football does have a huge emphasis compared to NE. Best of luck!

Old 09-25-2013, 08:00 PM

4,153 posts, read 7,655,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcgano View Post
I'd love to get a little better idea of what life is REALLY like there, and what Neighborhoods might be best.
Dallas is an International city mixed together with transplants from all over the US. You probably got a better chance of running into someone from the New England states than a Native Texan. So you really can't get a true understanding of Texas until you get out away from the Metroplex and even then, Texas is sub-divided into 7 different regions: Panhandle, West Texas, East Texas, North Texas, South Texas, Central Texas, and Gulf Coast. These regions although Texas, can differ a lot in customs, politics, accents etc. Anyhow, I don't think like will be that much of a cultural shock. As for neighbor hoods, schools etc, we need a little more info.

Old 09-25-2013, 09:07 PM

2 posts, read 2,253 times
Thanks for the speedy responses. My wife's office will be somewhere in Irvine (Los Colinas?) area. We like suburban living but want close proximity/easy access to urban activities and restaurants. Is living close to downtown Dallas something desirable? Is there mass transit or do people drive?

We have 2 kids both under 11, and budget wise, I haven't seen many areas that don't have houses within our price range considering the dramatic difference in real estate price.

Old 09-26-2013, 04:47 AM

9,513 posts, read 19,533,674 times
IrvinG. (Irvine is in California.) Las Colinas is a nice area.

We have good restaurants all over the metroplex, and few of them are actually in downtown. More of them are in inner-ring suburbs, and Las Colinas actually has quite a few of them.

DFW is not a big public transit place. People here are in love with their cars and the cities are laid out to be car-friendly. Yes, there is a pretty good light rail system but it's really only useful if you are working and living near the stations.

You still haven't said a price range for a house. University and Highland Park (AKA Park Cities) start at $750k, Southlake starts at $450k, and Coppell about $350k. All three of those would definitely fit your needs. It just depends where you want to be and how much you are willing to spend.

Old 09-26-2013, 08:12 AM

1,212 posts, read 1,772,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristieP View Post
IrvinG. (Irvine is in California.) Las Colinas is a nice area.

We have good restaurants all over the metroplex, and few of them are actually in downtown. More of them are in inner-ring suburbs, and Las Colinas actually has quite a few of them.

DFW is not a big public transit place. People here are in love with their cars and the cities are laid out to be car-friendly. Yes, there is a pretty good light rail system but it's really only useful if you are working and living near the stations.

You still haven't said a price range for a house. University and Highland Park (AKA Park Cities) start at $750k, Southlake starts at $450k, and Coppell about $350k. All three of those would definitely fit your needs. It just depends where you want to be and how much you are willing to spend.
I agree with ChrstieP. If you can afford it, I would do the park cities. The commute would be 30 minutes, but it is a really nifty neighborhood with great schools. It is the old money part of the city, but certainly has plenty of new money. SL and Coppell are both great burbs and plenty of people that work in Las Colinas live in those neighborhoods. However, they are not exactly close to urban living (if you like the arts district, professional sporting events, etc). Both have well regarded schools.

Finally, Las Colinas does not have that many good restaurants. If the execs at Exxon are going to a business lunch, they go to the Four Seasons. Almost always. Just not that many good choices.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas