U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-16-2015, 09:48 AM

216 posts, read 248,926 times

Advertisements

Did you pay card or cash?
Eeven if tickets are washed, can you use statement from card?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2015, 02:26 PM

2,502 posts, read 1,408,621 times
Very sorry to hear about the OP's situation. I take DART on a regular basis, and am appaled at the way the whole "ticket check" situation is set up:

-I've travelled quite a bit, and in every other city I've been to with a train system, you need a ticket or something else in order to get through the turnstile to get onto the train. So, in these cases you would not be able to get onto the train without a ticket. As a result, there are no checkers coming through to check tickets, since everyone on the train already has a ticket.

However, here in Dallas, it's not set up that way. Anyone that wants to can get on the train, and so you have these ticket checkers that come by & interrupt you to check your tickets. This involves getting out your wallet, etc. and getting your tickets - though it is also becoming electronic, it's still a hassle.

Obviously, this was poor planning on the city's part - it should have been set up so that you have turnstiles at the stations - or there should be someone checking tickets when you get on the train (which I've seen in Boston). Granted, this would have been a lot more $ on the front-end re: the initial DART construction, but it would have eliminated a lot of these problems (including the one in the OP's post).

I've also noticed a lot of unfairness when it comes to giving out tickets re: DART. Sometimes teens or homeless-looking people that don't have tickets just get a warning & are told to get off the train at the next stop. Not a punishment, IMHO.

Conversely, if you look like you have $ - i.e. if you're dressed well and/or look like a business professional - and don't have a ticket - you'll get cited/fined.

Obviously, the people who aren't getting tickets are those that the city doesn't think will be able to pay them, and/or don't have a fixed address - i.e., if a ticket/citation were sent to a homeless person, it would be pointless since they don't live anywhere.

I would also recommend that, if at all possible, try to handle these ticket/fine situations in person at the official offices in Downtown Dallas - as soon as possible after the incident. I have heard other negative things about their online computer system, which seems to be notoriously inefficient at best...

Last edited by The Big Lebowski Dude; 03-11-2015 at 02:35 PM..

Old 03-11-2015, 03:48 PM

3,810 posts, read 3,707,626 times
Quote:
So, in these cases you would not be able to get onto the train without a ticket. As a result, there are no checkers coming through to check tickets, since everyone on the train already has a ticket.
There are people who sit in little booths in NYC & Chicago rail stations, and they are authorized to catch and ticket you if you don't pay.

Old 03-11-2015, 07:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOverdog View Post
There are people who sit in little booths in NYC & Chicago rail stations, and they are authorized to catch and ticket you if you don't pay.
Yes, I know what you're talking about. I've taken trains all over the U.S. & Europe, so I know how other systems work.

The problem is that in Dallas, here's what happens: You buy a ticket, & then get on the train without anyone checking it - until possibly much later after you bought it. In the case of the OP & other cases I've heard about, the people bought the tickets, but then either couldn't find them and/or lost them when it came time to show them to the DART officer. Since you're already on the train at that point, you get in trouble for not having a ticket - even if you did buy one. Again, see the OP.

Conversely, in other cities I've been in, you cannot get onto the train unless you buy a ticket - since the turnstile won't let you through without a ticket or some kind of cash card. In Boston, they have the turnstile system - and, if the train goes further out from downtown & you pick it up elsewhere (and there's no turnstile), a train employee checks all the tickets of everyone who gets on, and won't let you on without a legitimate ticket. In Chicago, they did check tickets like they do in Dallas - however, IIRC that is in the beginning of the trip. Though, it's been a while since I took that train system - so I can't swear to this.

Yes, I'm sure in some of these places people try to jump the turnstile, but it's obvious these people are trying to cheat the system. My issue is when law-abiding people (like the OP) are getting in trouble because they can't immediately locate the tickets they bought.

It takes travelling quite a bit & seeing other train systems to understand how inferior the Dallas one is when compared to other cities.

That being said, I like DART & being able to take the train has made my daily commute a loss less stressful...

Last edited by The Big Lebowski Dude; 03-11-2015 at 07:53 PM..

Old 03-13-2015, 08:19 PM

390 posts, read 570,506 times
Dallas is not unique in lacking turnstiles. Berlin, Porto, and Salt Lake City are set up in a similar manner. It's actually a great way to reduce infrastructure costs.

Old 03-13-2015, 10:16 PM

3,293 posts, read 1,731,183 times
Goodness, OP, brevity is a virtue. Embrace it. The kids who didn't pay have nothing to do with your situation. That's irrelevant. You have no idea whether race has anything to do with this. It wasn't wise to listen to some strangers in the waiting room.

Also, it's a DART ticket! Chill out!

Old 03-14-2015, 12:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by seat21d View Post
Dallas is not unique in lacking turnstiles. Berlin, Porto, and Salt Lake City are set up in a similar manner. It's actually a great way to reduce infrastructure costs.
Possibly, but it encourages freeloaders.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wittgenstein's Ghost View Post
Goodness, OP, brevity is a virtue. Embrace it. The kids who didn't pay have nothing to do with your situation. That's irrelevant.
Actually, the kids who didn't pay have a lot to do with the OP's situation, if they didn't get ticketed/cited for not having a DART pass - since the OP got a ticket in the same situation (actually, she couldn't find the pass she did buy). As I mentioned in my earlier post, I have taken the DART train for years and noticed the unfairness when it comes to whom the authorities choose to ticket. Again, if you're well-dressed/professional & don't have a DART pass, you'll get ticketed. Conversely, if you're a teen and/or homeless-looking, you will typically just get a warning & told to get off the train at the next stop. Again, not fair - but understandable. The authorities figure a teen and/or a homeless person can't/won't pay the ticket anyway....

Last edited by The Big Lebowski Dude; 03-14-2015 at 01:36 AM..

Old 03-14-2015, 11:56 AM

3,293 posts, read 1,731,183 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Big Lebowski Dude View Post
Actually, the kids who didn't pay have a lot to do with the OP's situation, if they didn't get ticketed/cited for not having a DART pass - since the OP got a ticket in the same situation (actually, she couldn't find the pass she did buy). As I mentioned in my earlier post, I have taken the DART train for years and noticed the unfairness when it comes to whom the authorities choose to ticket. Again, if you're well-dressed/professional & don't have a DART pass, you'll get ticketed. Conversely, if you're a teen and/or homeless-looking, you will typically just get a warning & told to get off the train at the next stop. Again, not fair - but understandable. The authorities figure a teen and/or a homeless person can't/won't pay the ticket anyway....
This is the whole "Why didn't you pull over the other speeders?" argument. I agree that justice should be enforced fairly, but the truth is that the OP couldn't produce a ticket, so her receiving a citation was fair. Whether other people also should have received a citation is a separate issue.

Old 04-05-2015, 10:42 PM

314 posts, read 1,251,079 times
DART, because it is light rail, the stations are not raised but almost ground level. hence no turnstiles like Atlanta, NY, Chicago. etc. I don't think light rails have turnstile anywhere ...

Old 04-21-2015, 09:34 PM

390 posts, read 570,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Big Lebowski Dude View Post
Possibly, but it encourages freeloaders.
The best way to discourage freeloaders is undercover/roving fare inspectors that issue tickets and collect fines on the spot. It works quite well in Germany.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or