Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-17-2007, 10:04 AM

6,848 posts, read 11,797,799 times

Advertisements

For those of you new to the area (or thinking about being) and concerned about our weather patterns, here is the NOAA site that lists by state/county the type storms we've had since 1980, i.e, snow, tornados, etc.

NCDC Storm Events-Select State
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2007, 03:15 PM

546 posts, read 1,817,843 times
Default Interesting Site

This is an interesting site. I am very afraid of tornadoes and only see one F3 Tornado in Collin county(Anna) in the past 30 years. I can deal with that. Moving to "tornado alley" has me a little freaked out. I would be less scared if homes were built with basements. I still wonder where everyone goes when they see one of those warnings come up???? Normally I just go down to the basement but now we won't have one.

Old 11-17-2007, 06:07 PM

875 posts, read 1,092,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Winter01 View Post
This is an interesting site. I am very afraid of tornadoes and only see one F3 Tornado in Collin county(Anna) in the past 30 years. I can deal with that. Moving to "tornado alley" has me a little freaked out. I would be less scared if homes were built with basements. I still wonder where everyone goes when they see one of those warnings come up???? Normally I just go down to the basement but now we won't have one.
They freak me out too! Apparently you have 15 minutes after a siren sounds, to get to shelter before a tornado hits. You're supposed to go to the gym at the nearest high school. Imagine trying to squeeze into that parking lot with all the other people doing the same? You'd be dead.

Old 11-17-2007, 06:13 PM

3,542 posts, read 8,243,304 times
Great link, new2sa!

Here's another link courtesy of the National Weather Service office in New Braunfels about the biggest weather events in the 20th century: Weather Highlights of the Past 100 Years - National Weather Service Forecast Office - WFO, Austin/San Antonio, Texas (http://www.srh.noaa.gov/ewx/html/wxevent/1997to1999/cen/100.htm - broken link)

Old 11-17-2007, 06:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winter01 View Post
Don't worry, you'll be okay! Here's a site for tornado preparedness:

FEMA: Tornado

We've heard all of the horror stories people have been told about this area and tornados... and none of them anywhere close to the truth! What's surprised me the most is how a lot of newbies become upset when we just have thunderstorms... which are very common here and no need to get excited over. I thought everywhere had those, but apparently not.

Tornados, though, are very few and far between and occur mainly in the spring thru early summer.

Old 11-17-2007, 08:55 PM

5,641 posts, read 24,944,880 times
That is a cool reference, thanks.

It is interesting that in the period Dallas saw 939 storms there were 27 where I live now. Dallas does have notable weather events.

Old 11-17-2007, 10:00 PM
smh

53 posts, read 280,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ladysrodgers View Post
They freak me out too! Apparently you have 15 minutes after a siren sounds, to get to shelter before a tornado hits.
Not necessarily. I don't know if there are standard criteria for sounding a tornado warning siren, but typically it's when a funnel has been sighted in the vicinity. The tornado may or may not touch down, and no one can exactly predict when or where. Most of the time, the sirens go off but the potential tornado never touches down in your area. However, the siren can go off and a tornado can touch down a minute later. Sometimes, the tornado has already touched down when you hear the siren.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ladysrodgers View Post
You're supposed to go to the gym at the nearest high school. Imagine trying to squeeze into that parking lot with all the other people doing the same? You'd be dead.
PLEASE don't do this!! NEVER go outside or try to drive anywhere if there is a potential tornado in the vicinity. A gym would be one of the worst places to be anyway. You want to be in the smallest enclosed portion of your house, preferably somewhere deep in the interior away from windows and outside walls. You want to have as much structural support around you as possible. A closet or small bathroom is usually the best place, since there are few people with storm cellars and even fewer with basements around here.

The main thing you want to do is to protect yourself from flying or falling debris. When my sister-in-law lived in Oklahoma and experienced many "storm events," she would tip over her sofa against an interior wall and crawl under it. Anything sturdy that can shield you from flying debris is good.

I can guarantee that in N. Texas you will experience many tornado watches, warnings and sirens. At the same time, you have a very, very small likelihood of actually being involved in a tornado. I have lived here for 50+ years (was a young'un living in Oak Cliff when the '57 tornado hit a few miles away from me) but I have never actually seen, heard, or been affected by a tornado. There have been a few times when some damage (roofs mostly) a few blocks or miles away from my house has been attributed to a tornado, but all I knew was happening was very heavy rain, hail, and strong wind.

Take tornado warnings seriously, but also realize that your odds of being hit by one are miniscule.

Old 11-17-2007, 10:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smh View Post
A closet or small bathroom is usually the best place, since there are few people with storm cellars and even fewer with basements around here.
The few times that we've actually had a warning, the first thing I do is put my purse and my shoes in the tub with whatever I'm going to cover up with. My dad finds this hilarious... but, by george, if I'm going to fly... my purse and shoes are going with me!

Old 11-18-2007, 01:07 AM
smh

53 posts, read 280,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by new2sa View Post
The few times that we've actually had a warning, the first thing I do is put my purse and my shoes in the tub with whatever I'm going to cover up with. My dad finds this hilarious... but, by george, if I'm going to fly... my purse and shoes are going with me!

Absolutely! Wherever you hide out, take your purse, shoes, and cellphone with you!

Old 11-18-2007, 01:20 AM

2,935 posts, read 6,714,410 times
Last year was our first spring in TX and it was pretty wild for a first timer. But honestly, at least here you get a warning and the weather people know what to look for. We had tornado warnings every now and then back east but there were no sirens, and no one knew about the tornado until hours after it ripped through some section of town.

Most houses have a closet under the stairs. Just keep it clear of junk so you can hide in it if you hear the sirens. We have ours stocked with a battery radio that gets TV stations, some flashlights, and folding chairs and blankets.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas