U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-29-2013, 04:02 AM

15 posts, read 18,980 times

Advertisements

Hello,

I'm relocating to richardson in november, we are a young couple, i was offered a 40k salary in the telecom field, and my wife is a personal banker at bofa in california, so she's looking forward to transfer. I'm looking for some information about the apartment communities in Richardson area, including prices and also concerned about the cost of living and if my salary is enough for the move.

Thank you
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-29-2013, 05:08 PM

989 posts, read 1,440,959 times
Hi Isinno,

Here are my thoughts - keeping in mind I relocated to Dallas 4 months ago so my comments may not be all that exhaustive.

Obviously, it will depend on what size apartment you are looking, but if seeking a 1BR (like I was) that seemed clean, safe, and reasonable amenities (i.e. W/D either in unit or on site, dishwasher, etc). I would expect an apartment to be in the area of $800-900/month, possibly towards $1000 for a bit higher in amenities. That is at least my memory of when I was looking, though note I didn't look extensively in Richardson as my job was in Addison. I decided to move closer to work even though I probably am paying more in rent. The trade-off is I can walk to work and save a bunch in gas.

Whether you can afford that depends on your financial situation and what bills you have beyond personal living expenses - by that I mean if you have car payments, credit card debt, student debt, etc.. I'd expect $75-100/month for electric, around $100 for cable if you choose to get it, and you might have to pay separately for water/sewer/garbage. I pay around $10-15/month for those.

I don't find groceries to be significantly differently priced than anywhere else...you can go less expensive like Kroger, Aldi, or WalMart or you can go more expensive like Whole Foods and Central Market (TX Mega Chain H E B's answer to Whole Foods). There are also Target's and Super Target's for groceries.

Keep in mind a few items that you might already know: Texas does not have income tax so you will not have that coming out of your paycheck. Texas seems to somewhat make up for that with high property taxes, tolls on some freeways, and seemingly a high sales tax. From what I see overall, though, taxes are overall less (then again...I come from the People's Republic of Minnesota).

Gas prices do not seem significantly different than other parts of the country. On Friday I paid $3.05/gallon. Note if you live in Richardson you will likely need a car - and as you may know Dallas is car-centric.

Also, one piece of advice I have seen repeatedly and agree with being here: find a place to live relatively close to work. Highway traffic can be a bear and living far away means you will spend significant parts of your life on a freeway.

Hopefully others living here longer/native Texans will have additional ideas...

Old 09-30-2013, 01:56 AM

15 posts, read 18,980 times
Thank you GBC, one more question, for the first month I will be moving by myself, and will probably be residing in a hotel, motel for this period of time so I can look for apartments and discover the area... do you have suggestions on this? btw I'm relocating from Orange County, California.. the gas price is $4.10 here

Old 09-30-2013, 08:12 AM

23,625 posts, read 31,227,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by isinno View Post
Thank you GBC, one more question, for the first month I will be moving by myself, and will probably be residing in a hotel, motel for this period of time so I can look for apartments and discover the area... do you have suggestions on this? btw I'm relocating from Orange County, California.. the gas price is $4.10 here
I live in Richardson; my part of town does not have a lot of apartment complexes, and the ones that are there are old and probably not where you want to live. I'd look up around Lookout or Renner on either side of 75, and there are some nice complexes along the DART rail line just east of 75. Richardson's zip code west of 75 is 75080; look in 75081 for the complexes on the DART rail. There are also others that are nice further east on Renner in northeast Richardson, but I don't know that area well and can't say much more about it.

There are tons of hotels, extended stay places, and motels near 75 and 635. There's one for every budget. Just check them out on a map and pick one.

(Gas was $3.05/gal at the Quik Trip on Belt Line and Inge this morning.)

Old 09-30-2013, 06:36 PM

989 posts, read 1,440,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by isinno View Post
When I first arrived I stayed at a Candlewood Suites on Greenville Avenue (which I don't believe is too bad a drive to Richardson.) The place is really the mixture between hotel and apartment. I stayed in a studio with a queen size bed. Room includes a small kitchen with full size fridge and stovetop, microwave, dishwasher and basic dishes. Room also has desk areas with dresser drawers, cable, free wi-fi. Overall, not a terrible stay.

Location didn't seem unsafe but not a lot around the immediate area if you want restaurants, etc - you will have to drive to them. They appear to have recently renovated and I was satisfied with my stay. Place also has washers/dryers in the building that are free to guests plus a small workout area and basic convenience store type area. No pool onsite, however.

They come into your room to clean and change towels/sheets once a week, though you can bring towels and sheets down more often to trade out if you like.

Nothing fancy but clean and comfortable enough.

As far as rate, by selecting a month plus stay you get a daily break. I paid around $52/day, I think? Prices are always subject to change, however, and I think went up to new guests after I started staying there.

Also, if you stay a full 30+ days, tax is removed from the bill according to state law. That said, think carefully if you end up staying around 27 or 28 days; it might be worth paying for a few days you don't actually need to save paying the sales tax that comes off after 30+ days.

So, yes - $52/day (if you can still get that price) is $1500/month - but that's the price you pay for all utilities included and no obligation to a lease. Frankly, I think if you go much lower in daily price you will get what you pay for - either unsafe or unclean.

And $4.10/gallon? I'll have to email to my family out that way in the San Diego area. You are making the right move coming to Texas...less expensive gas, less taxes, and probably friendlier people!

Old 10-01-2013, 04:26 PM

60 posts, read 265,951 times
Stay on the West side of 75. The East side is not as nice.

Old 10-01-2013, 06:46 PM

748 posts, read 1,851,841 times
I moved here a year and a half ago for a job in Richardson and looks at lots of apartments. I was pretty set on Plano and most of the apartments I looked at were in Plano, but I saw some in Richardson. One recommendation is Prairie Creek Villas at Renner Rd and Alma Rd. I think it's a great location basically on the north border of Richardson with Plano and right where 75 and the George Bush Turnpike meet. If you are looking for more trendy new-urban style apartments there are several in Richardson including Post Eastside and Brick Row. These are mixed-use with eateries and shops. Lots of other apartments around Richardson - also in nearby Addison and Plano. I moved to the Preston Rd./West Plano area which has lots of apartments as well - used to take me about 20 minutes to drive to my job in north central Richardson.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or