U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-29-2013, 09:47 AM

2 posts, read 2,012 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone, there is a possibility I may soon be moving to the Dallas/Plano area from NJ. In the event I do make the move I was hoping to have a general idea of where I should look for housing. The office I would work in is right off the Dallas North Tollway in Plano (75024 zip code). I am 25, so I would like a place with things to do nightlife, parks, etc. Given the cost of rent here in NJ, I am not expecting the price to be too much of a concern, but I would like to be under the more than $1,200 I currently pay. What do you all think? Is there an area near my office that would offer the things I am looking for?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-29-2013, 10:51 AM

1,787 posts, read 1,883,725 times
What does 1200 get you in New Jersey? That will help in getting a feel for what you're used to having.

Old 09-29-2013, 12:29 PM

39 posts, read 55,883 times
Plano is very much a suburban community and not at all a nightlife type place with a small exception being the east side by hwy 75. Its great that you will be near the tollway though, because addison isnt far away and will have the nightlife youll want. Theres some good shopping and a lot of good food around plano/frisco/north dallas. In fact, if you dont mind using the tollway daily for work, i think addison would be much more walkable and prob more what youre used to. The baseball team in frisco will be a cool thing to do if youre into baseball. Its the most beautiful minor league ballpark ive ever seen. Parks are everywhere, but what I recommend is you getting to know the lakes and enjoy the water. Itll be hot so youll be happy its there. Grapevine lake is one of the smaller lakes in the city, but its clean and pretty quiet. Great walking/biking trails around it. I know that area of the metroplex extremely well, so feel free to ask any questions. Good luck!

Old 09-29-2013, 12:31 PM

42,203 posts, read 49,753,916 times
Look at the apartments at The Shops at Legacy.

Old 09-29-2013, 12:32 PM

Oh and youll have no problem finding a 1 or 2 bd apt under 1200. In fact, you may be able to rent a house/duplex with a yard for that.

Old 09-29-2013, 01:59 PM

11,672 posts, read 21,236,098 times
If you'd be ok living in Hoboken, look no further than Shops @ Legacy in 75204.

If you'd rather live in Manhattan or Brooklyn but have a NJ budget and hope that moving to Dallas allows you to afford moving to the more exciting center city, look in Uptown/ Design District/ North Oak Lawn. 75204/ 75219 Allow for $1000+/mo and don't expect anything shiny and new unless Design District still running move in specials on some buildings. It's about a 25 minute reverse commute to 75204. I did it for 5+ years and wouldn't have traded the livelier neighborhood for a shorter commute at all!

But just depends on what kind of person you are as to which is a better fit

Old 09-29-2013, 04:16 PM

988 posts, read 1,436,891 times
I moved to the area 4 months ago so take my thoughts FWIW...

Plano is nice but, as mentioned, very suburban. I would agree if you are okay with a reverse commute on the Tollway, I would agree to consider either Addison or Uptown if you want the nightlife and that is more important than location. Addison will be a little quieter than Uptown IMO, but you should still find things to do and people around your age (says I, who is a bit older than 25...).

I think $1000/month is reasonable to find an apartment will give you a reasonable place to live, and $1200 will probably get you something either nicer if more Addison, or perhaps a little larger in the Uptown area.

Old 09-29-2013, 05:49 PM

2 posts, read 2,012 times
Acer - $1,200 - $1,300 in my area, gets an older 1950's one bedroom apartment with few upgrades. I am originally from the the Southeast and have been here for only a few years, so I do generally expect newer apartments.

I would like to get a newer apartment with some amenities and would prefer to keep the commute to under 30 minutes if possible. While I do want to be where there are people my age along with some night life it does not have to be the college like atmosphere. After looking up Addison it appears to be within a reasonable distance of the office. Possibly under a half hour?

What is the legacy like? It seems to be the closest to the office, but if there is nothing around I am not sure that would be ideal.

Old 09-29-2013, 06:46 PM

Shops at legacy are high dollar things that I never found myself caring about while I was there. Anytime youre out at the shops at legacy and you find yourself with a drink in hand, be sure to stick your pinky finger out so youll fit in. Addison has a lot more to offer as a town than frisco does. Frisco is a more foo fooy plano and the shops at legacy make up a small area. Addison however is a town with a lot of festivities for different hollidays (kaboom town, taste of addison, etc, etc) that is a larger area and the lightrail is there as well if thats important. If youre looking for newer places with amenities then both are going to be heads and above what you have now. Addison Circle has a lot of condos and apts with restaurants and shops on the lower levels as well as nice outdoor pools, sittingareas, etc...and a lot of good looking people your age. Frisco will be a bit of an older crowd. As I'm typing this I realize I sound biased, but either way you cant go wrong. Theyre both great areas.

Old 09-29-2013, 06:58 PM

9,505 posts, read 19,506,212 times
Addison would be good since you (wisely) don't want to make a lengthy commute. There are quite. A few young people there, and there is a lot of nightlife there, too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or