U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 09-30-2013, 06:10 PM
 
989 posts, read 1,442,170 times
Reputation: 928

Advertisements

This new Texan from Minnesota must say, in truly the most friendly terms possible (and I mean that), that I'm not so sympathetic to concerns of winter and hearing "cool/cold" at 50F. Visit Minneapolis from November through March and you'll LOVE 50F...seriously, we start breaking out shorts when it gets "up to" 50F after the winter... :-)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 09-30-2013, 06:18 PM
 
7,324 posts, read 8,167,308 times
Reputation: 5419
Quote:
Originally Posted by GBCommenter View Post
This new Texan from Minnesota must say, in truly the most friendly terms possible (and I mean that), that I'm not so sympathetic to concerns of winter and hearing "cool/cold" at 50F. Visit Minneapolis from November through March and you'll LOVE 50F...seriously, we start breaking out shorts when it gets "up to" 50F after the winter... :-)
Agreed. People here need to shut-up when it comes to cold weather. Over the typical winter we will have 0-20 days of really cool/cold weather. Maybe 15 years ago we have a several day stretch during which the temp never got above freezing - you'd have thought it was the end of the world.

I was in Minneapolis last April whatever day we got there was the first day in more than 6 months when the temp didn't dip below or stay below 32F. That's cold.

Over the years I've played hundreds of rounds of golf in January around here maybe 1/4 of the time in shorts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-30-2013, 06:42 PM
 
989 posts, read 1,442,170 times
Reputation: 928
Quote:
Originally Posted by EDS_ View Post
Agreed. People here need to shut-up when it comes to cold weather. Over the typical winter we will have 0-20 days of really cool/cold weather. Maybe 15 years ago we have a several day stretch during which the temp never got above freezing - you'd have thought it was the end of the world.

I was in Minneapolis last April whatever day we got there was the first day in more than 6 months when the temp didn't dip below or stay below 32F. That's cold.

Over the years I've played hundreds of rounds of golf in January around here maybe 1/4 of the time in shorts.
That actually reminds me of my visit back home for Easter. It also happened to be same weekend as the Twins Home Opener. Temperature in Target Field for the game was a very windy 35-40F (so, should I bring up the subject of windchill?)

There are still things I miss about back home, but what I have told some here and told some in Florida where I was for about 5 months before getting a job in Texas was this about MN:

Six months out of the year, there's no place like home. But, it was the other six months of the year that did me in...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-30-2013, 06:56 PM
 
Location: Stephenville, Texas
912 posts, read 1,363,146 times
Reputation: 1660
Quote:
Originally Posted by TowerGuy View Post
When was that? I just pulled up data through every Christmas Day in the Dallas area back to 1946. The warmest Christmas was 66 degrees back in 2008. Is this yet another facet in the Texas tall tale meme of "we have the most miserable weather on the planet, woe to us."?

Sorry, I've never lived in Dallas. I know the OP does. It would have been in south Texas at my Grandparents during the holidays. My comment was speaking generally of Texas, not specific to Dallas.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-30-2013, 09:55 PM
 
1,516 posts, read 1,769,721 times
Reputation: 3110
Just been here since July but I do have to agree that folks here really do obsess about the weather. People at my husband's work are absolutely shocked that he walks about 30 min/day to and from the DART. You would think that it was like crossing the Sahara desert. In comparison, his work day commute weather wise was much worse when he commuted into NYC. In the summer, like TowerGuy said, those subways turned into nasty, smelling, sweltering sweat holes. Then there would usually be some power outage or malfunction that would keep people cooped up for even longer periods of time. Then in the winter time, that frigid wind blowing down the street as you are getting to your office. Miserable. I was one who was never happy when I felt that first frosty nip in the air. I know it is coming here but at least it seems to be later in the year and I can live with that.

I am so frickin' glad to be out of the NE. I'm overjoyed that I'm sitting here in shorts and teeshirts in September. I really do love the warmer weather and if I could stay in shorts year round, I would be pretty happy. I do admit that July and August were hot here but not unbearably so. Perhaps some day I will return to Hawaii where I grew up...perfect weather imo.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-01-2013, 08:58 AM
 
57 posts, read 103,468 times
Reputation: 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by GBCommenter View Post
This new Texan from Minnesota must say, in truly the most friendly terms possible (and I mean that), that I'm not so sympathetic to concerns of winter and hearing "cool/cold" at 50F.
That's ok - we're not sympathetic to the tales of woe that come out of Minnesota when the temp hits 100. It's all just a matter of what you're acclimated to.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-01-2013, 10:01 AM
 
16,092 posts, read 35,834,298 times
Reputation: 6264
May is not summer! Maybe in Houston... I would say summer is June through much of September. I'm a native and I like summer. I walk at lunch every day, no matter how hot it is...now if it's cold, I might stay inside.

The worst cold weather I have ever seen was during the Super Bowl. God's punishment on Smiley Jones...

The 1979 New Year's ice storm is another one I remember... others, not so much...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-01-2013, 12:07 PM
 
17 posts, read 25,145 times
Reputation: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by TowerGuy View Post
I'm sorry but people here in Dallas are WAY over the top when they talk about the heat or weather in general. I am from California and was nearly scared away from moving here because of all the tall tales about the weather! I've lived here for eight years and it is not the miserable sweatbox that the natives make it out to be. I love it! I have lived in Frisco and I have experienced TWO White Christmases! I have the pics with timestamps to prove it.
I've lived in DFW for 32 years. I can tell you that a white Christmas is highly abnormal. As in, it's happened in or around Christmas 4 times in those 32 years. 2 of those years happen to have been in the last 5 years.

The problem with DFW or Houston isn't just the heat, it's the humidity. A lot of places get to 100+ degrees during the day, and cool off to the 70s fairly rapidly at night. You can walk outside in DFW at 2 am in the morning and the temperature is still 95-100 degrees. The only real break in the heat, such that it is, happens during the 2 hours before dawn.

The reason why people in Minnesota keel over dead from a heatwave where temperatures hit 95 degrees is because very few people have air conditioning in their homes and people aren't acclimated to those temperatures. I would not like to ride out a Texas summer without air conditioning.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-01-2013, 12:14 PM
 
Location: Carver County, MN
1,395 posts, read 2,076,760 times
Reputation: 1223
Quote:
Originally Posted by castlebravo View Post
I've lived in DFW for 32 years. I can tell you that a white Christmas is highly abnormal. As in, it's happened in or around Christmas 4 times in those 32 years. 2 of those years happen to have been in the last 5 years.

The problem with DFW or Houston isn't just the heat, it's the humidity. A lot of places get to 100+ degrees during the day, and cool off to the 70s fairly rapidly at night. You can walk outside in DFW at 2 am in the morning and the temperature is still 95-100 degrees. The only real break in the heat, such that it is, happens during the 2 hours before dawn.

The reason why people in Minnesota keel over dead from a heatwave where temperatures hit 95 degrees is because very few people have air conditioning in their homes and people aren't acclimated to those temperatures. I would not like to ride out a Texas summer without air conditioning.
Actually, most homes and places of business in the southern 2/3s of the state, including the Twin Cities, have air conditioning. In my office, we usually have our AC on from early May to ... well, its October 1st and its still on.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-01-2013, 12:33 PM
 
1,788 posts, read 1,891,166 times
Reputation: 1706
Quote:
Originally Posted by castlebravo View Post
I've lived in DFW for 32 years. I can tell you that a white Christmas is highly abnormal. As in, it's happened in or around Christmas 4 times in those 32 years. 2 of those years happen to have been in the last 5 years.

The problem with DFW or Houston isn't just the heat, it's the humidity. A lot of places get to 100+ degrees during the day, and cool off to the 70s fairly rapidly at night. You can walk outside in DFW at 2 am in the morning and the temperature is still 95-100 degrees. The only real break in the heat, such that it is, happens during the 2 hours before dawn.

The reason why people in Minnesota keel over dead from a heatwave where temperatures hit 95 degrees is because very few people have air conditioning in their homes and people aren't acclimated to those temperatures. I would not like to ride out a Texas summer without air conditioning.
I would like to see some data where it is 95 or 100 at 2am in Dallas because it sounds like you completely made that up.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top