Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-30-2013, 01:42 PM

673 posts, read 3,090,591 times

Advertisements

Living through the Dallas area climate it always seems like a long hot summer. In fact, it looks to me an almost 6 months long summers. Starting in mid-April when temps reach over 80s into the high 80s. And lasts all the way to mid-October, in fact we may hit 90F this October!

Winter also can be fairly long from 3-4 months. Usually Dec to Feb or even to mid March you will see highs only in the 50s.

This leave short and sweet spring in March-mid April and fall from mid-October to November. Usually it seems nice 70 and 60 degree temperatures comes and goes fast, while summer and sometimes Winter drags on!

Would say that accurate description of the climate around here?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-30-2013, 01:46 PM

17 posts, read 33,872 times
Texas in general, has two seasons:

summer, and almost summer.

Old 09-30-2013, 01:49 PM

1,073 posts, read 1,796,899 times
And this was a relatively mild Summer. We've seen 80 degrees on Christmas day more than once. This isn't unusual.

Old 09-30-2013, 02:00 PM

2,346 posts, read 6,925,871 times
I'd say that's about right.

To me, that's the biggest downside of the DFW climate - we get a long, hot summer, but we don't get a correspondingly short winter. December-February are still a little too cool for (outdoor) comfort most days. You're lucky to break 60F in those months. Instead, the extra summer comes out of the spring and fall seasons.

This hits me as someone who enjoys outdoor activity. Spring and fall are the best seasons for that - not too hot, not too cold. And, IMO, we don't have more than 2-3 months of that kind of weather.

Old 09-30-2013, 02:15 PM

56 posts, read 134,474 times
March and April -- Spring
May through September -- Summer
October through December -- Fall
January and February -- Winter

Old 09-30-2013, 03:31 PM

673 posts, read 3,090,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big G View Post
I'd say that's about right.

To me, that's the biggest downside of the DFW climate - we get a long, hot summer, but we don't get a correspondingly short winter. December-February are still a little too cool for (outdoor) comfort most days. You're lucky to break 60F in those months. Instead, the extra summer comes out of the spring and fall seasons.

This hits me as someone who enjoys outdoor activity. Spring and fall are the best seasons for that - not too hot, not too cold. And, IMO, we don't have more than 2-3 months of that kind of weather.
I absolutely agree! The nice Summer/Fall weather passes to fast for outdoor activity. I love when I am actually able go outside the house without feeling too hot or too cold

Old 09-30-2013, 04:17 PM

554 posts, read 1,196,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Backintheville2 View Post
We've seen 80 degrees on Christmas day more than once. This isn't unusual.
When was that? I just pulled up data through every Christmas Day in the Dallas area back to 1946. The warmest Christmas was 66 degrees back in 2008. Is this yet another facet in the Texas tall tale meme of "we have the most miserable weather on the planet, woe to us."?

Old 09-30-2013, 04:18 PM

1,783 posts, read 2,571,734 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cranfords View Post
March and April -- Spring
May through September -- Summer
October through December -- Fall
January and February -- Winter
I agree with this.

Old 09-30-2013, 04:41 PM

3,491 posts, read 6,973,115 times
That sounds about right.I have spent many Easters in the metroplex and pretty much everyone that I can remember was cool

Old 09-30-2013, 05:07 PM

554 posts, read 1,196,756 times
I'm sorry but people here in Dallas are WAY over the top when they talk about the heat or weather in general. I am from California and was nearly scared away from moving here because of all the tall tales about the weather! I've lived here for eight years and it is not the miserable sweatbox that the natives make it out to be. I love it! I have lived in Frisco and I have experienced TWO White Christmases! I have the pics with timestamps to prove it.

Now, as far as perceptions of the seasons, it really depends on what you are acclimated to. From what I hear from my friends who live there, NYC, even though it is way north of here, is an absolute smelly, humid, sweaty hole in June and July. To me, Dallas has a decent Spring (mid-March to June 1st...except May in 2011 leading up to that historic Summer), Summer (June 1st to late September), Fall (October- mid-December) Winter (last week of December to mid-March). The part of Summer that I cannot stand is July and August...OCCASIONALLY last half of June. The heat is bearable here in part (Warning: May shock a few of you) because of the humidity! I LOVE coming from outside and walking into a building here on a hot Summer day!! Moisture on my skin + A/C = REFRESHING ARCTIC BLISS!!! Talk to me when you're in frigg'n Central Cal and it is 112+ (for the 20th consecutive day), bone dry, hasn't rained since March (less than an inch at that) and PG&E shuts off the damn electricity as part of the rolling black outs! The A/Cs are heavy duty there as well but, because it is SO FREAKING DRRRRYYYYYYY, you have to be in the A/C for over 15 minutes before you FINALLY start to feel the effect.

So, sorry, not buying the whole "Texas weather is exceptionally miserable" meme. And another thing...snowfall...my definition of "RARELY SNOWS" is one snow event per 25 years! See: LA or Fresno, CA, or Sacramento, or etc... It has snowed every year BUT ONE since I have lived here. Some of those years it was multiple storms throughout winter. I would call that "OCCASIONALLY SNOWS" not "RARELY SNOWS". I learned how to drive in the snow and ice HERE and I am good at it. People who live here are without excuse when they drive/wreck like maniacs in the snow and ice because they should expect AT LEAST ONE snowfall event per year!!! It's as if most of you natives have your memory wiped clean every time it snows. You and the dweebs on Channels 4,5,8 and 11 can't ever "seem to recall when it last snowed here". It may not be Cleveland, Ohio but it snows enough here for people to know how to act and drive. Sheesh.

LOL...WOW....what a rant! Getting off my soapbox now...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas