U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-30-2013, 08:45 PM

36 posts, read 74,346 times

Advertisements

Folks.. I am considering a house with an acre lot. There is a house on one side and the other side is an empty house but a house will be coming up on it soon. The land behind the house is currently empty. It's a 18 acre lot that is owned by 2 churches who will be constructing there.
The church directly behind would be a Mormon church on a 6 acre lot. I am being told that it will a relatively quiet and will not have a day care etc.
The house itself is being listed at $900 K.

How does the forum feel about this situation? Does having anything commercial in your backyard a negative? Will having a church at the back help or hurt? Our plan is to live in this house for at least the next 15 years.

Attached is a Google Earth screenshot with the house in question marked with a red arrow.

Last edited by desidon; 09-30-2013 at 09:03 PM..
Quick reply to this message

Old 09-30-2013, 09:28 PM

23,599 posts, read 31,143,716 times
I personally would not live near a Mormon church. My parents' neighborhood in north Dallas is nearish to a Mormon temple and since the neighborhood is also an eruv, the Mormons consider it rich pickings for converts (it isn't) and they go door to door at least once a year. It's really annoying. I would assume they would pester people in your neighborhood too; I'm told that's par for the course if you're close to a Mormon church.

Last edited by SouthernBelleInUtah; 09-30-2013 at 10:19 PM.. Reason: personal attack

Old 09-30-2013, 09:43 PM

10 posts, read 15,570 times
Personally, I would have no issue with it. However, it will definitely narrow the filed of potential future buyers. If that is a concern, think long and hard about it.

Old 09-30-2013, 09:51 PM

23,599 posts, read 31,143,716 times
$900k for a house that backs up to a church that almost certainly will have a day care on the premises (despite what they tell you), will have heavy traffic every Sunday, and will have services probably loud enough for you to hear in your backyard, not to mention the dumpsters that will have to be emptied at least once a week and the massive rooftop air conditioners humming all day in warm weather? Plus, you'll be seeing the butt of the church...the ugliest part...from your own backyard.

For $900k YOU CAN DO BETTER.

Old 09-30-2013, 10:20 PM

21,260 posts, read 20,865,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDGeek View Post
I personally would not live near a Mormon church. My parents' neighborhood in north Dallas is nearish to a Mormon temple and since the neighborhood is also an eruv, the Mormons consider it rich pickings for converts (it isn't) and they go door to door at least once a year. It's really annoying. I would assume they would pester people in your neighborhood too; I'm told that's par for the course if you're close to a Mormon church.
First off, there is a huge difference between a Mormon church and a Mormon temple. Living near a Mormon church would be essentially no different than living near any other kind of church. There'd be Sunday services and an occasional midweek activity. And for the record, Mormon missionaries don't proselytize in the vicinity of Mormon churches any more frequently than they proselytize in any other area. To me, having missionaries of any kind stop by your place once a year would hardly be a reason to keep from buying a house. When the Jehovah's Witnesses stop by my house (probably once a year), I have a pleasant two or three minute chat with them and they go on their way. You are evidentally "really annoyed" pretty easily.

Moderator cut: orphaned quote

Last edited by SouthernBelleInUtah; 10-01-2013 at 06:03 AM..

Old 09-30-2013, 11:05 PM

8,856 posts, read 10,312,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDGeek View Post
Maybe, but I don't live within an eruv, or a Morman church, and they hit my house at least 4 times a year. Super nice guys but come around even more that the Jehovahs Witnesses.

Last edited by TXNGL; 09-30-2013 at 11:07 PM.. Reason: spelling

Old 09-30-2013, 11:13 PM

2,346 posts, read 5,792,682 times
Getting hit up by missionaries? That's par for the course no matter how far or near you are to a Mormon place of worship.

I realize that just about every church in town is running a daycare on the side. However, it's a bit of a leap to assume that the OP is being lied to. The Mormon churches or stakes or whatever around where I live don't run daycares.

I don't know what city this is in, but a nice house on a 1 acre lot would be hard to find in several parts of DFW at that price. It wouldn't necessarily be a deal-breaker for me. My old neighborhood had 20 or so homes backing up to a church parking lot, and SOMEONE was living in each of those.

Old 10-01-2013, 06:03 AM

794 posts, read 1,350,062 times
. I wouldn't spend million dollars to live in backyard of a community center type place. However, thus may not bother others, if house is a steal at this price then do research and drive around some churches in residential areas to get the taste of having God as you next door neighbor. I say still better then having a school, football field, meth lab or night club. Resale can be iffy but not necessarily, some one who is devoted to that church may pay good money to live next door.

Old 10-01-2013, 07:01 AM

29,920 posts, read 34,526,470 times
To me, Churches offer a quiet zone most of the time. I would have no problem.

Old 10-01-2013, 07:12 AM

2,828 posts, read 3,386,407 times
My parents reside right next to a fairly larger church in the Park Cities area. They used to have multiple issues with people blocking and even parking in their driveway, but once the no parking signs were put up and police began patrolling, that issue faded away very quickly. Now for the past few years that have been in multiple negotiations with the church to by the entire block for up to 4 times the value of everyone's house. It CAN be a good thing and I agree there could be much worse things to neighbor next to.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or