U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-01-2013, 11:02 AM

974 posts, read 1,758,592 times

Advertisements

I had a Calif. friend ask me about relocating to Garland and I didn't really have much to tell him
as I've not spent much time around there. I did mention that there are pockets of neighborhoods
that seem to be nice but again I don't have really much to go on. I did mention to him about
looking at places closer to the "Firewheel" area. He is in the running for a job that would put him
close-by and I really don't have a lot of intel on the area.

He had sent me an address and when I looked at it, it seemed to be a nice (from a streetview map look)
but I noted it was close to an area called "Creekside" and on the eastern-most section of Garland.
Is there anything he should look at? I saw a waste-water treatment facility a couple miles nearby
and was wondering if that's something to be concerned with.

I'm more familiar with Plano, Carrollton, Farmer's Branch & Addison so I'm not much help.

Thanks
Quick reply to this message

Old 10-01-2013, 02:36 PM

1,595 posts, read 1,569,606 times
I'm up that way and like the location. I feel it's far less congested than many other parts. Firewheel is great for what it is and I'd much rather go there than Stonebriar in Frisco or NW Plaza if only for the open parking spaces and ease of getting to/from. Everyone just seems a bit more considerate.
I don't know where the Creekside section is that you mention but if he sticks closer to Firewheel and north of the tollway, it's all pretty consistent up that way and there are new and shiny developments as well. South of Buckingham is more unpredictable.

You can tell him the general area was the basis for the King of the Hill cartoon town of 'Arlen' and i've found it to be pretty accurate.

Old 10-01-2013, 03:24 PM

60 posts, read 265,353 times
Tell your friend to head to West Plano. Addison used to be good but now it looks like a dirty, nasty place. Sad really. Garland (from what I saw of it) is not a nice, safe looking place.

Old 10-01-2013, 03:53 PM

57 posts, read 103,026 times
Sachse, Rowlett, Wylie, and Rockwall are nearby areas your friend may also want to consider.

Old 10-01-2013, 04:09 PM

1,787 posts, read 1,883,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doctorof_Education View Post
Tell your friend to head to West Plano. Addison used to be good but now it looks like a dirty, nasty place. Sad really. Garland (from what I saw of it) is not a nice, safe looking place.
Funny, if this is actually sarcasm.

Old 10-01-2013, 05:02 PM

2,828 posts, read 3,385,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aceraceae View Post
Funny, if this is actually sarcasm.
It's not from looking at his other posts. He is in love with West Plano and consistently puts people down by asking about their level of education when they disagree with his posts in the Mexico section. It's honestly quite amusing.

Old 10-01-2013, 07:54 PM

Thanks for the info, I'll pass it along. I've searched the Dallas forum a bit for threads but haven't really put a whole lot of time in it. I've told him about city-data.com and to look in the Dallas forum. Right now he has so many snakes to kill, he hasn't had a lot of time to really do the due-diligence. I told him he & his wife need to spend a looong weekend (at least 3 or 4 days) looking around Garland, Mesquite, Sachse, etc. BTW I've been to Sachse a number of times and have to say there seems to be some growth and decent pockets of neighborhoods...but I have to say hwy 78 sure can get busy.

FWIW...I've always felt Mesquite, Garland and parts of Richardson were somewhat middle-class / blue collar towns. Not a criticism mind you...my folks were blue-collar/conservative and lived within their modest means. Plano and West Plano seem to get the vibe as being more affluent I guess. Just seems W.Plano, Frisco, McKinney get all the attention these days as being "the in place" for upper-middle class. Heck I've driven through neighborhoods in Plano that looked kinda iffy to me. Seems the further West from 75...things are newer and pricier. Anyways...the point is every place has its share of issues if you look hard enough.

The Creekside area seems to be parallel with Centreville and South of 66. I did mention to him about an area called Duck Creek which is hilly and has neighborhoods that run along a golf course. A guy I worked with had a house there a few years back and had me over but he got transferred and I remember a bit about the neighborhood. The thing I did recall is it was kind of hard to find his house (pre affordable GPS). Seems a lot of neighborhoods kind of twist and wind around Garland.

Don't have much to pass on about Rockwall and Lake Wylie areas...he asked me what I knew about Fate, TX and I honestly didn't know what he was talking about until I googled it. Of course his wife will probably be the one to choose where they wind up but he'd like to be closer to work and not have to drive too far.

Thanks again for the intel.

Old 10-01-2013, 08:21 PM

3,535 posts, read 6,954,136 times
The wastewater treatment you mentioned is definitely something to consider. It's very strong at times and DD had a friend who lived in the neighborhood closest and you definitely were "windows up" when you got close. But that would be something very obvious if they did decide to look anywhere in that area. Not an easy thing to hide

Old 10-01-2013, 11:54 PM

4,810 posts, read 5,434,536 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doctorof_Education View Post
I used to live right outside of Addison. Moved out-of-state in 2001.

Hard to imagine Addison turning "dirty and nasty" in 12 years. Can you be more specific?

Old 10-02-2013, 12:08 PM

Yeah...I'd be curious about Addison being "nasty" comment. I spent some time there this past weekend and it looks as if it's only gotten more developed with the townhouse expansion north of Addison Circle. All those empty lots are mostly full with new luxury townhomes / apts / condos. And the hospital along the toll road has really added on to its campus.

About the only bad news I heard was that Addison's annual Octoberfest had one day get rained out. Other than that it seems to be doing alright.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas