U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-03-2013, 09:32 AM

1 posts, read 1,512 times

Advertisements

Hi,

I'm strongly considering taking a position in Dallas within the next few months, and was looking for some advice as to where to find my "ideal" apartment.

I'm in my early 20s and moving from Knoxville, where I live in the part of the city most similar to Uptown. My current residence is a large one-bedroom in a reapportioned textile/furniture factory, with super high ceilings and neat little details like abundant exposed brick, original factory ceilings and other aesthetic "flaws" purposely left intact to retain what I supposed would be the desired feel. The building has, at most, 20 tenants.

What I'm seeking in Dallas is something very similar to the apartment in which I currently live. I'm not opposed to "community' features like a pool, vast courtyard and weight room/similar amenities... but they're not a selling point by any means. I'm essentially looking for something "cool" that pays tribute to the original ambiance of the building while still meeting a certain standard of luxury. I'm not looking for marble floors and Tiffany chandeliers, but I also don't want something that's rundown masquerading as "authentic."

My ideal price point is somewhere between $1,400 and $2,000 per month, and I'm not really picky about size. I'm just one person, and I'd much rather have an awesome "small" apartment than a sprawling domicile with no interesting details. Any guidance regarding where to look would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.
Quick reply to this message

Old 10-03-2013, 02:45 PM

1,787 posts, read 1,884,357 times
I grew up in East TN and spent years in Knoxville. What building do you live in there? Where will your job be here? That will help identify possible suggestions. You have a good budget to work with.

Old 10-03-2013, 03:14 PM

2,084 posts, read 2,448,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iptayl1c4 View Post
I'm essentially looking for something "cool" that pays tribute to the original ambiance of the building while still meeting a certain standard of luxury. I'm not looking for marble floors and Tiffany chandeliers, but I also don't want something that's rundown masquerading as "authentic."

My ideal price point is somewhere between $1,400 and $2,000 per month, and I'm not really picky about size. I'm just one person, and I'd much rather have an awesome "small" apartment than a sprawling domicile with no interesting details. Any guidance regarding where to look would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.
I'm guessing you're looking for an older building with character? You have a healthy budget for the area. You'll definitely get something nice, unfortunately there are not many old buildings left in Uptown. Here a few:

Maple Terrace

The Argyle

There are a lot of neo-classical(appear old) style buildings in uptown. The most popular would be West Village(I think its managed by Gables like a lot of Uptown). It was designed to look like an old downtown area.

The Gable Villa Rosa is Spanish styled and has good restaurants nearby.

The Paseo

Paseo | Dallas TX Luxury Apartments | Lincoln Property Company | LPC - YouTube

Downtown Dallas has more historic buildings converted into lofts.

The Davis building

The Kirby

Mercantile Place

The Wilson

Mosaic

Old 10-03-2013, 04:52 PM

11,674 posts, read 21,240,989 times
You would probably love some of the downtown buildings like the Wilson Building, as well as some of the lofts in Deep Ellum (Adams Hat, etc) or properties owned by Good Space in North Oak Cliff or Power Properties in Old East Dallas. All are awesome urban neifhborboods within 10 minutes of Uptown and within or a good bit below your budget.

Most of Uptown - aside from Maple Terrace and the mid-century highrises and mid rises along Turtle Creek Blvd - is largely new construction and "community" centered (pool parties, amenities, etc). Awesome Walkable location and fun neighborhood, but the housing options are largely new / corporate/ soul-less. And super expensive for what they are.

Old 10-03-2013, 07:22 PM

2,172 posts, read 4,250,709 times
Yes, you'd be better off looking in Deep Ellum for what you want. There are many older factory buildings that have been repurposed as loft apartment buildings. DE is also a bit cheaper than Uptown so you might have a bit more money to spend on other things besides rent. Futura Lofts - Lofts for rent in downtown Dallas

Old 10-08-2013, 04:40 PM

1,595 posts, read 1,570,930 times
I wouldn't suggest the Wilson. It's a bit of a budget place downtown and it sounds like you want people to be impressed a bit. I would also shy away from mosaic. Both places have horrid parking and poorly maintained public areas.
You might check out Trianon over by Uptown. It's not the downtown loft style at all but it is well designed with luxury details that impress and it's close to both Katy Trail and the Uptown lounge/bar/restaurant scene.
A one bed there will run around 1600-1800

Old 10-10-2013, 03:17 PM

93 posts, read 134,980 times
Here are three possible lofts that are very similar to what you described where you are currently living. All are just outside of the DT business district but not far from Uptown. The first one is probably the most similar.

American Beauty Mill Lofts, Continental Lofts and lastly Adam Hats Lofts.

Old 02-25-2014, 03:21 PM

18 posts, read 23,572 times
For trendy one bedrooms in Dallas: I think that it really depends on the social scene that you want and if the social scene is more important...or if having the right place to live is more important. Let me elaborate.

Other large cities in America have downtown areas that are also where a large majority of the single professionals live. Cities like Chicago, or NYC. Here, in these cities, you are going to have a lot of older residences with a lot of character, including lofts. In a place like Chicago, you will also have plenty of young professionals living in the same building too. So, this city combines a high concentration of young professionals with an area that has buildings that are older in many cases (ala, character).

So, you come to Dallas and think that we are going to have the same setup as Chicago or NYC...well, it just isn't the case. We do have a great downtown, but it's just not the most popular area of town. And, it doesn't have as much to WALK To as other parts of town. Downtown Dallas pretty much dies at night. Yes, there are exceptions (American Airlines in Victory Park), but overall, downtown is still pretty quiet and not where people go and hang out at night, or atleast not where many prefer (again, with exceptions).

You can definitely find lofts or other buildings with character in Downtown, but you are not going to be in the area with the biggest social scene...if you are interested in socializing with other young professionals in their 20s or early 30s.

Uptown is the trendiest area in Dallas. It has mostly newer apartments, and many people consider them trendy. But, they are not older (with character). Uptown is also where you will meet more people in their 20s, by far.

So, my point is: If your goal is to be in an area with an older loft style building, but also with 20's professionals, you may get frustrated, because you won't find both of them in the same place. You can live nearby in downtown, and then socialize in Uptown.

Or, you can pick a trendy place in Uptown, but just not an older loft. There ARE older houses in Uptown for rent, but they are pricey and few. And, you would be able to meet plenty of people there. Might want to see Uptown101 for extensive pictures and articles on Uptown Dallas.

I hope that helps.

Last edited by gohigher78; 02-25-2014 at 03:59 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas