Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-16-2006, 11:20 PM

3 posts, read 5,637 times

Advertisements

Ok i'm 23 years old, an IT professional (network administration) who grew up in memphis TN, has lived in seattle and california due to being in the air force. and now have lived in the DC area for the past year for government IT contracts.
i'm going to say i HATE dc... everything except the jobs. the people here are so boring, uptight, stuck-up, and did i say BORING. i'm used to the 'urban' south where people actually have personalities have fun and aren't all about work work work 24/7. not to mention the house prices here, its impossible for someone like me to even dream of purchasing a first time buyer condo or anything. right now i live in a group 4 BR townhouse with 3 other guys in the same situation.
i've seen that there are alot of tech IT jobs in the dallas/ft worth area and kinda similar to the job market in DC. definitely the no state income tax helps and cheaper cost of living.
aside from the jobs, i'm also looking for a good nightlife and i see that there are several colleges in the area so i'm sure this would not be a problem. how is it for singles and the dating scene. i like to work hard and party hard i guess to say. i know that people in TX are most definitely more friendly than Northern VA.
anyway, just looking for any suggestions on the area for people in the mid-20s range, any info greatly appreciated.
thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-16-2006, 11:41 PM

1,379 posts, read 6,426,066 times
Hiya - Actually, my first thought is you should be on the Austin board. Austin's motto is Keep Austin Weird, also along being the Live Music Capital of the World. UT is there and it really is a college town along with the state capitol.

Im out in California now, but honestly, am looking at DFW area because it does seem more family driven than Austin and a little less expensive.

I have a friend that used to work for the State Department that moved over to Symantec that is DC as well.

Good luck to you!

Old 10-17-2006, 04:11 PM

109 posts, read 611,456 times
outdc Hey, your post made me laugh!! Lots of folks feel the way you do...We're ready to leave.... almost... be smart move to Texas now & enjoy your life! Took me 2 hours to get to work today...I drive 30 miles one way. I work in Old Town Alexandria, and its great compared to DC. A little slower, more casual (I wear jeans everyday) and laid back. But the traffic STILL is horrible. Eventually you will probably not like the job scene, either... because the older you get, the higher up you go, and then you have to become a workaholic to support your family.

Old 10-19-2006, 10:11 AM

3,035 posts, read 14,431,568 times
I grew up near DC and the traffic on the Beltway and surrounding areas is awful.

Most of my family is in Southern Maryland now (Calvert), and that area is real nice......but it may be a bit of a dig to get into old town. Lots do it though, so it is possible.

Old 10-20-2006, 05:48 PM

806 posts, read 2,884,353 times
Move...Now! I can vividly remember that point of my life when I felt like you and took that blind leap of faith....I'm glad I did. No guarantees but your'e probably going to look back ten years from now with either pride or regret, depending on what choice you make now...

Old 10-20-2006, 06:42 PM

Personally, I think you'll regret it even more if you never try.

Move out for a while and rent. Feel the place out. If you like it, buy and settle down.

Old 01-16-2007, 02:04 PM

313 posts, read 1,716,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by outdc View Post
Ok i'm 23 years old, an IT professional (network administration) who grew up in memphis TN, has lived in seattle and california due to being in the air force. and now have lived in the DC area for the past year for government IT contracts.
i'm going to say i HATE dc... everything except the jobs. the people here are so boring, uptight, stuck-up, and did i say BORING. i'm used to the 'urban' south where people actually have personalities have fun and aren't all about work work work 24/7. not to mention the house prices here, its impossible for someone like me to even dream of purchasing a first time buyer condo or anything. right now i live in a group 4 BR townhouse with 3 other guys in the same situation.
i've seen that there are alot of tech IT jobs in the dallas/ft worth area and kinda similar to the job market in DC. definitely the no state income tax helps and cheaper cost of living.
aside from the jobs, i'm also looking for a good nightlife and i see that there are several colleges in the area so i'm sure this would not be a problem. how is it for singles and the dating scene. i like to work hard and party hard i guess to say. i know that people in TX are most definitely more friendly than Northern VA.
anyway, just looking for any suggestions on the area for people in the mid-20s range, any info greatly appreciated.
thanks

I'm in the process of moving from the DC area to Frisco.

I'm also in IT

Old 01-17-2007, 01:51 AM

2,935 posts, read 6,715,978 times
I gotta say, for nightlife it seems like stuff is pretty spread out here. We just moved a few months ago, and to be fair we haven't had a chance to explore everything yet. But I read about how wonderful Greenville Ave was, and when we went we were very disappointed. I was expecting a few miles of shops, restaurants, and bars... and it was... but all spaced out few and far between. When we drove through Deep Ellum it didn't seem very big and not much was going on.

So far we haven't found anything like Georgetown in DC, or Shockoe Bottom in Richmond. There's plenty to do, it just seems like you have to plan on where to go, and not just hit a certain area and stumble upon something.

Again, maybe I haven't found it yet... any suggestions, let me know! We'd love to find a nice area where there are unique shops, galleries, restaurants... clustered together so we can walk between them.

Old 01-17-2007, 05:15 AM

You might try Addison Circle as well.

Nightlife is different here and scattered around. I grew up near DC and am not sure there is anything similar to GT/Foggy Bottom. Austin has a nice nightlife, but Dallas to me is more of a suburban family kind of town with excellent shopping, parks, good schools, giant suburban castles, SUVs, etc. If I were single, I'd live in Austin.

Old 01-17-2007, 07:56 AM

1,560 posts, read 7,146,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twojciac View Post
Again, maybe I haven't found it yet... any suggestions, let me know! We'd love to find a nice area where there are unique shops, galleries, restaurants... clustered together so we can walk between them.
I'll preface this with I'm married with four kids, two cats, a dog, a hamster, and a half dozen fish, so I don't get out often.... But if you don't mind a bit of western flair, you can try the Stockyards in Fort Worth for nightlife.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas