U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-08-2013, 08:11 PM

94 posts, read 135,545 times

Advertisements

We have a very smart and determined 4th grade daughter who currently attends a good PISD elementary school. She has been in PISD' s gifted program since Kindergarden and is pretty advanced in most topics. At this point, for various reasons, we believe she might benefit from more individualized attention if she can get in to a really good private school. We are considering Hockaday and maybe Greenhill. We had applied to Greenhill for Kindergarten but were wait listed. Can you let me know how we can increase our chances for admission? Do you recommend tutoring/consulting? If so, where do we find the appropriate resources? Professional parents born and raised in Europe. Thanks a lot for your help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-09-2013, 04:43 AM

1,212 posts, read 1,853,006 times
The real question is whether she has been tested yet? Admission is going to be largely dependent on her tests and past performance. The good news is that the class opens up in 5th grade and she has an increased chance of admission. I would strongly encourage you to meet with admissions and do a tour of the campus ASAP. There are people that do private tutoring, but depending on the scores, that may not be necessary. It is a lovely school and I will you the best of luck.

Old 10-09-2013, 09:05 AM

794 posts, read 1,397,515 times
Another option is to keep her in PISD where she is blossoming and spend this money on good tutors and programs for added benefit. It would still be individual attention but much cheaper and she will stay where she is thriving.

Old 10-09-2013, 11:25 AM

2,206 posts, read 3,941,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GripeWater View Post
Another option is to keep her in PISD where she is blossoming and spend this money on good tutors and programs for added benefit. It would still be individual attention but much cheaper and she will stay where she is thriving.
I cannot agree with this more. Make sure she is in Math Rocks and then look at adding in a foreign language via a private tutor next year followed with immersion courses/visits to that country in the summer to cement the language while she is still young. You can accelerate math and science this way as well.

Old 10-10-2013, 10:13 AM

Thank you all for your feedback. Keeping her in PISD is of course an option but we also want to investigate our private school options at this point. She was denied admission to the Math Rocks program last year as her score was 0.1 points below the admission cut-off and I think that was one thing that troubled us about PISD. Our discussions with the administration made us feel like they don't have enough incentives to try and support high-achieving students. Don't know the reason behind it but we got the sense that it is our responsibility to challenge our kid with outside classes, tutoring etc. That just does not seem right. I don't want my kid spending so many hours a day at school working on material that is clearly below her level and spend her limited after-school hours with private tutors trying to get the challenge she deserves. This just doesn't seem right.
Hocdad, no, she did not get tested yet. Would you be able to tell what is a good score on ISEE for kids entering 5th grade?

Old 10-10-2013, 11:21 AM

2,828 posts, read 3,544,731 times
Not to try and burst your bubble or hurt feelings, but if your child failed to get into math rocks they may need quite a bit of tutoring to get into Hockaday.

http://privateschool.about.com/gi/o....isee/isee-faqs

Old 10-10-2013, 11:49 AM

Hi bencronin04, I value your input but also think that it is a very strong statement. PISD is pretty competitive at the top and our child scored right at 95% in 3rd grade without any external tutoring/math classes. And she is much stronger in language/reading as that is her passion. Do you think that's not good enough for entry into a good private school? Is it really "that" competitive?

Old 10-10-2013, 12:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsoy View Post
Hi bencronin04, I value your input but also think that it is a very strong statement. PISD is pretty competitive at the top and our child scored right at 95% in 3rd grade without any external tutoring/math classes. And she is much stronger in language/reading as that is her passion. Do you think that's not good enough for entry into a good private school? Is it really "that" competitive?
For Hockaday, absolutely. It is THE TOP private school for girls in the DFW area. Sometimes not even a very high ISEE score is enough to get them in, but it is sure a deciding factor. I worked at an Elementary in PISD that offered Math Rocks(Skaggs). Though I was not directly involved in the program, there was a decent number of students in the after school sessions.

Old 10-10-2013, 01:25 PM

2,346 posts, read 5,963,454 times
I think it's a leap to say that failing to qualify for MathRocks == slim chance of Hockaday admission.

The MathRocks cutoff is set at about the 2-sigma mark, designed to take in the top 2.5% of PISD math students. If the OP's daughter just missed that, one could infer that she is performing at about somewhere in the top 3-5% of PISD students. That would take her out of "slam-dunk" status for Hockaday, but still leave her as a solid candidate - hardly a long shot.

Old 10-10-2013, 01:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big G View Post
I think it's a leap to say that failing to qualify for MathRocks == slim chance of Hockaday admission.

The MathRocks cutoff is set at about the 2-sigma mark, designed to take in the top 2.5% of PISD math students. If the OP's daughter just missed that, one could infer that she is performing at about somewhere in the top 3-5% of PISD students. That would take her out of "slam-dunk" status for Hockaday, but still leave her as a solid candidate - hardly a long shot.
I don't think I said slim chance or a long shot. I just stated that if she failed to get into a program open(but not mandatory) to all PISD students that she may need some serious tutoring to get into the most competitive and difficult private in DFW.

On the same note, lets say PISD has a class size total of 4000+ kids. That puts at 200 kids PER grade level that would be considered the top 5% in Math. Thats larger than the entire graduating class at Hockaday if I remember correctly.

Last edited by bencronin04; 10-10-2013 at 01:47 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas