Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-20-2007, 11:14 AM

875 posts, read 1,092,203 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lh_newbie View Post
I've been patiently reading everyone's posts. Quite humorous.

I personally disagree with the concept of a swingers club and would certainly never go to one myself. The concept is against my personal beliefs and against what I believe to be moral standards based on my upbringing and religious background.

With that said, some people are right, if someone gets into being a swinger - so be it. They can do what they want under their own roof as long as it doesn't infringe on other people. If they were doing this in their front yard and having public nudity or parking illegally or being loud or in fact, running a business or regular club, then the neighbors and the city have a legal right to shut down such practices. Hamilton hits the nail on the head - they in fact are operating a regular "club", which is essentially a business driving traffic and parking issues and therefore should indeed be shut down as they are in a residential zone.

I've seen on the news that church groups have taken pictures of people going into strip clubs in areas and posting them on the Internet, letting people know who exactly goes there. It would be very interesting to see the same practice applied to this "club".

Brian
From what I read on their web site, it's all about "their right to party." That doesn't seem to give any indication of caring about being good neighbors.

Another concern is the alcohol intake and quanity of drivers who have embibed. I could be wrong, but the picture of their bar looks like a cash register/computer set up.

I saw a picture of their back yard on the news, as viewed from the neighbor's house behind them. It looks as though the over-sized "hot tub/patio," which they feature on the web site, is in plain view. If it's inside the house, it makes me wonder what building permits, if any, were required for that, and were they applied for or approved.

Old 11-20-2007, 11:20 AM

2,935 posts, read 6,714,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ladysrodgers View Post
From what I read on their web site, it's all about "their right to party." That doesn't seem to give any indication of caring about being good neighbors.

Another concern is the alcohol intake and quanity of drivers who have embibed. I could be wrong, but the picture of their bar looks like a cash register/computer set up.

I saw a picture of their back yard on the news, as viewed from the neighbor's house behind them. It looks as though the over-sized "hot tub/patio," which they feature on the web site, is in plain view. If it's inside the house, it makes me wonder what building permits, if any, were required for that, and were they applied for or approved.
Again, it should be no concern of yours what goes on in the privacy of someone's home. There's no law that states you have to care about being a good neighbor, you just have to abide by the laws that are on the books.

If people are driving drunk, that's got nothing to do with them being a swinger. Maybe we should have the police force inspect your home for alcohol because you might be a danger to my family for having liquor in the home. Maybe I can jump to conclusions that you are going to sacrifice animals because it appears in the Bible that might be in your home... and you have a knife in your kitchen drawer.

We already have laws in place to control actual problems. In this instance the home was a nuisance due to parking and possibly noise. Those are legitimate. Singling out someone because you don't agree with their morals isn't. It only opens the door for people with a new set of morals to judge you and try to legislate your life.

Old 11-20-2007, 12:41 PM

2,394 posts, read 8,593,636 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twojciac View Post
Again, it should be no concern of yours what goes on in the privacy of someone's home. There's no law that states you have to care about being a good neighbor, you just have to abide by the laws that are on the books.

If people are driving drunk, that's got nothing to do with them being a swinger. Maybe we should have the police force inspect your home for alcohol because you might be a danger to my family for having liquor in the home. Maybe I can jump to conclusions that you are going to sacrifice animals because it appears in the Bible that might be in your home... and you have a knife in your kitchen drawer.

We already have laws in place to control actual problems. In this instance the home was a nuisance due to parking and possibly noise. Those are legitimate. Singling out someone because you don't agree with their morals isn't. It only opens the door for people with a new set of morals to judge you and try to legislate your life.
You totally ignored her concerns about a cash bar. If that indeed is the case, then that constitutes a business. You must be located in a non-residential area for that... and have a liquor license. From my understanding of what goes on, it does certainly sound like a business. That's what the neighbors need to use if they legally want to shut them down.

If I lived close, I'd call the police all the time for noise disturbances - whether or not they were being loud. I'd get several neighbors to do the same thing, so the police have registrations from multiple people on the same complaint. I'd be willing to bet this alone would put a serious crimp on the "club". Call the police and report drunk drivers leaving the premise. Again, enough people say the same thing... the police will certainly put an end to it.

Brian

Old 11-20-2007, 01:15 PM

1,518 posts, read 5,268,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twojciac View Post

But this wasn't just someone's home. It was a business run in a residential neighborhood. With that business came the traffic and noise of a commercial enterprise. In that building they could be rocking for Jesus or just rocking the bed springs. It doesn't matter. It was a business in a residential neighborhood.

If only the neighbors who lived there were swingers, it clearly wouldn't be an issue. It's all the non-neighbors who are coming over that are causing the problem. I don't care what my neighbors do in their bedroom. But if they regularly invited dozens of people over for any purpose, and charged money to those people, I'd raise Hell.

Old 11-20-2007, 01:33 PM

65 posts, read 314,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lh_newbie View Post
You totally ignored her concerns about a cash bar. If that indeed is the case, then that constitutes a business. You must be located in a non-residential area for that... and have a liquor license. From my understanding of what goes on, it does certainly sound like a business. That's what the neighbors need to use if they legally want to shut them down.

I've been to a to several functions at homes, usually charity events, where there was a cash bar. Does that make the home a business. And I thought "donations", were requested to attend these gatherings. I've been to several parties, mainly in college where donations were requested to help pay for booze. And we had friends back home who had rent parties. People would throw parties, providing food, music, and drinks. Donations were requested at the door and the money was used to help pay rent. (Ahhh, the good ole days). Were these buisnesses too??

Old 11-20-2007, 01:36 PM

1,518 posts, read 5,268,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by txman View Post
I've been to a to several functions at homes, usually charity events, where there was a cash bar. Does that make the home a business. And I thought "donations", were requested to attend these gatherings. I've been to several parties, mainly in college where donations were requested to help pay for booze. And we had friends back home who had rent parties. People would throw parties, providing food, music, and drinks. Donations were requested at the door and the money was used to help pay rent. (Ahhh, the good ole days). Were these buisnesses too??
Yes, indeed they were.

Old 11-20-2007, 01:41 PM

2,394 posts, read 8,593,636 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by txman View Post
Technically, and legally, YES they were. One-offs aren't going to get the attention of the city or neighbors, but regularity will... just like what is going on at this club. In fact, with the # of people attending, the home owners are opening themselves up for a whole crap load of liability issues. If someone got into an accident, law suits would fly. I bet a judge would consider this a business, hold them liable and they'd lose everything.

Old 11-20-2007, 01:52 PM

2,935 posts, read 6,714,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hamiltonpl View Post
But this wasn't just someone's home. It was a business run in a residential neighborhood. With that business came the traffic and noise of a commercial enterprise. In that building they could be rocking for Jesus or just rocking the bed springs. It doesn't matter. It was a business in a residential neighborhood.

If only the neighbors who lived there were swingers, it clearly wouldn't be an issue. It's all the non-neighbors who are coming over that are causing the problem. I don't care what my neighbors do in their bedroom. But if they regularly invited dozens of people over for any purpose, and charged money to those people, I'd raise Hell.
I agree with you if it is a business. But the overall vibe in this forum is that it's an issue BECAUSE it's a swinger club. It's evident in people throwing around accusations of drunk driving and pedophilia.

A Tupperware party can cause just as much of a disturbance... but because people aren't offended by Tupperware, it's not a big deal. We should all be afforded equal protection under the law, regardless of our morals.

Old 11-20-2007, 01:56 PM

12,229 posts, read 21,492,577 times
If my neighbor were having huge tupperware parties 3 times a week and there were traffic and parking problems because of it I'd have to deem tupperware pretty darn offensive!

Old 11-20-2007, 01:59 PM

3,589 posts, read 4,145,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Debsi View Post
If my neighbor were having huge tupperware parties 3 times a week and there were traffic and parking problems because of it I'd have to deem tupperware pretty darn offensive!
I'd find the traffic inconvenient but I don't care what adults do behind closed doors.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas