Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-21-2014, 10:53 AM

138 posts, read 216,457 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by seat21d View Post
Say what? Ever been to Lakewood, Casa Linda, Preston Hollow, Far North Dallas, Lake Highlands, etc., etc.?

Not to mention that the Park Cities are not Dallas proper.
Yall are both wrong. While South Dallas is predominately Hispanic(not predominately African American like it used to be), there is a sizable white population down there that almost equals the african american population. While the bulk of white people in Dallas live in the handful of affluent communities, most of the poor white people live in South Dallas. Or do people think there aren't any poor white people in Dallas proper?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2014, 02:40 PM

1,212 posts, read 2,297,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wrecked View Post
Yall are both wrong. While South Dallas is predominately Hispanic(not predominately African American like it used to be), there is a sizable white population down there that almost equals the african american population. While the bulk of white people in Dallas live in the handful of affluent communities, most of the poor white people live in South Dallas. Or do people think there aren't any poor white people in Dallas proper?
I have no reason to doubt what you are saying, but I drive around South Dallas all of the time and I don't see a bunch of white people. Certainly the south dallas schools are not equal black and white.

Old 01-21-2014, 03:41 PM

56 posts, read 134,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metro Matt View Post
Dallas is less than 50% White these days. About the only place you'll find White people living in Dallas proper is in the Park Cities & Uptown. The city as a whole isn't as integrated as it should be for a city its size IMO.
Gosh Matt - We're real sorry you don't like the way we're physically arranged around the city. Maybe you could make a block-by-block map with pins on it so we all know where we're supposed to live. You could use black and white and brown and yellow pins so you can get them all blended the way you want. You'll want to give copies to the real estate people so they know which lots are for which kind of people.

Will you be able to provide financial assistance to help us all move where you want us?

Old 01-21-2014, 04:45 PM

6,690 posts, read 9,935,924 times
Quote:
What do you consider South Dallas? South Dallas is the Fair Park area and it's nearly 100% black.

Old 01-21-2014, 05:45 PM

138 posts, read 216,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dallaz View Post
What do you consider South Dallas? South Dallas is the Fair Park area and it's nearly 100% black.
Sorry I did not specify what I meant by South Dallas. I meant the geographical South Dallas, not the neighborhood that is east of downtown Dallas called South Dallas. South Dallas the geographic location is upwards of 70-80% Hispanic these days with the remainder being black and white. The neighborhood of South Dallas is 90% black, 5% white, and little bits of everything else.

Old 01-21-2014, 08:35 PM

1,187 posts, read 1,419,236 times
interesting discussion. But the OP asked "I have yet to really experience the nightlife and still want to explore more of the food scene. Any suggestions?".

I'm not even a local (actually, I'm a damn Houstonian). But, I (and probably he) would enjoy hearing any suggestions along those lines :-)

Old 01-22-2014, 12:39 PM

743 posts, read 1,320,255 times
Quote:
Sorry I did not specify what I meant by South Dallas. I meant the geographical South Dallas, not the neighborhood that is east of downtown Dallas called South Dallas. South Dallas the geographic location is upwards of 70-80% Hispanic these days with the remainder being black and white. The neighborhood of South Dallas is 90% black, 5% white, and little bits of everything else.
You mean to say "Southern Sector". South Dallas is a specific place.

The Cedars and Kessler Park are the only neighborhoods in the southern sector that are more white than anything else.

There are some poor white people in the Rylie-Kleberg area to the southeast of the city, south of I-20. Buckner Terrace still has some middle class white people as do parts of Oak Cliff, like Bishop Arts. Most areas south of the Trinity/I-30 are <10% white.

I can get lost in these maps for days:

Mapping the 2010 U.S. Census - NYTimes.com

One thing I found interesting is that the 'gentrifying' Bishop Arts areas is actually declining in white population.

Old 01-22-2014, 12:56 PM

2,825 posts, read 4,460,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Considering Coming Back View Post
One thing I found interesting is that the 'gentrifying' Bishop Arts areas is actually declining in white population.
Remember that map is also almost 4 years old now. There has been a lot of uphill swing since then.

And to the other poster, here is a screen shot of the area "south" of Dallas. As you can see, very little green.

Old 01-22-2014, 12:58 PM

743 posts, read 1,320,255 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bencronin04 View Post
Remember that map is also almost 4 years old now. There has been a lot of uphill swing since then.
Yes, hopefully we can get some 2012 ACS maps soon. Still, I was surprised to learn that in 2010.

Old 01-24-2014, 02:57 PM

229 posts, read 304,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cranfords View Post
Gosh Matt - We're real sorry you don't like the way we're physically arranged around the city. Maybe you could make a block-by-block map with pins on it so we all know where we're supposed to live. You could use black and white and brown and yellow pins so you can get them all blended the way you want. You'll want to give copies to the real estate people so they know which lots are for which kind of people.

Will you be able to provide financial assistance to help us all move where you want us?
You can disregard any comments made by Matt. He does not live here, and has not once made a positive, accurate statement about Dallas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas