Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-01-2013, 10:48 AM

4,153 posts, read 9,267,863 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by EDS_ View Post
With respect claiming that anything in Dallas is overpriced after living in SF, NY and Toronto is hoot.
HAHA...Right?!

I've never been to NY but I've been to SF and it's certainly not cheap. If SF was that cheap and wonderful, why move to Dallas? I'll tell you why, it's the same reason everyone else from California has given me for moving to Texas...it's more affordable!

Anyhow, as I mentioned above, if the OP is bored with Dallas, than move. I know a guy who moves every 7 years no matter what. He gets bored and wants to experience other places. We just recently moved our selves because we was tired of where we lived. It's like Nike says, Just Do It!

Old 11-01-2013, 10:53 AM

861 posts, read 1,147,714 times
Several years back, I was sent to Dallas for a business conference. The first night of the conference, someone asked one of the locals what was fun to do in town. His response was "not much but you can always visit the Book Suppository." I almost snorted my drink out my nose. This was said in all seriousness and he never realized his comical error. So whenever people ask about things to do in Dallas, I always have a response handy.

Old 11-01-2013, 10:54 AM

2,885 posts, read 4,646,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by peterlemonjello View Post
So the reason Dallas is boring is we don't have a seafood festival?
Damn, and I here I moved to Dallas ESPECIALLY FOR THE SEAFOOD! I'm so bummed...

Old 11-01-2013, 03:24 PM

2,341 posts, read 3,597,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SVTRay View Post
I know a guy who moves every 7 years no matter what. He gets bored and wants to experience other places.
That's pretty much exactly how I've lived my life for the last 30 years, except I move more like every 3 years. 7 is way past the expiration date. Lived all over the country. Big cities, small towns, cold places, hot places, dry places, wet places... like Johnny Cash said; "I've been everywhere, man". I can understand both sides of the argument here. During my time living in Dallas, which was in the late 90's, I found it neither terribly boring nor very exciting. It was more fun and engaging than a few other places I've lived, but not even close to having what a few others had to offer. I enjoyed my time there, but I always kind of felt that for a city it's size, there should have been more options and a little more diversity. Let's face it... the reason most people move to Texas is to work and make money in a relatively affordable housing market. Very few people move there for the same reasons they move to places like NYC, SF, or even Seattle... which is to have a more culturally rich experience and a real diverse list of options to live whatever lifestyle they choose to. Anything goes in those cities, except you pay through your nose for it. Maybe Dallas has diversified a bit since I lived there 15 years ago, but from everything I hear-read-see from people, it really hasn't seemed to have changed that much. People keep telling me that Austin attracts that element, but I lived there for a while too and though it was kind of cute the way people there try so hard to be like a Southern-fried version of San Francisco... it didn't come anywhere close. I'd much rather live in Dallas or Houston than Austin, given the choice.

Old 11-01-2013, 03:26 PM

1,341 posts, read 4,907,535 times
Boring is defined but your own expectations of a place. I can see how you can feel landlocked in this place, but there are many benefits that outweigh the bad (especially if you have family). Healthy economy, decent weather (okay I know about summer), facilities, activities, housing price, schools, access to good. schools and universities. Overall not a bad gig. But yes, you are "far" from a lot.

I think its up to the individual or family to surround yourself with a good set of friends, and start finding some great spots to hang out and get involved with activities or communites. Better yet, hop on a flight and get outta dodge for a long weekend.

When we first got here, we just hopped in the car and headed to Austin for the day, had a great time and eats and while it wasn't a "vacation"..it was fun!

Bottom line...you just have to find things that interest you, golf, working out, music, sports...I don't see anything like that lacking here in dallas..you just have to take a look at whats around you.

Old 11-01-2013, 03:50 PM

13,384 posts, read 25,747,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TommyTucker View Post
Oh really Mr. Lemon? Do tell what you have going on this weekend that will just blow my mind due to the excitement going on here?
Ill go running and biking early in the day, then go to the new Japanese place in Deep Ellum for dinner. After that, we'll probably go to the club(s) and then finish up at one of the bars in Koreatown where alcohol is pretty much served until 8 am despite the 2 am curfew. We may end up at a strip club because one of our friends married his partner in Minnesota and were going to celebrate.

Whether that excites you or not, I could care less. Youll come back and say that my plans bore you to save face. Bottom line is that this isnt a boring city. Im not saying its Vegas or Miami, but you would have to be stupid to think there is nothing to do here.

Old 11-01-2013, 04:11 PM

2,169 posts, read 5,171,745 times
Who knows if any of these will be mind-blowing (how many things are really?) but these are events I'm considering checking out or will check out in the next week or so:

A Night at the Cotton Club with the Dallas Symphony, performing the music of Duke Ellington, Louis Armstrong, Cab Calloway, etc.
https://www.dallassymphony.com/seaso...ottonclub.aspx

Dallas Observer Music Awards Showcase in 8 clubs in Deep Ellum
Dallas Observer Music Awards 2013 - November 2 @ Deep Ellum

North Texas Beer Week
North Texas Beer Week: November 9-16, 2013

Lone Star Film Festival (Fort Worth)
Lone Star Film Festival

North Oak Cliff Music Festival
North Oak Cliff Music Festival

The Stone Roses documentary at the Texas Theatre with a DJ set by Britpop DJ Wanz Dover:
The Texas Theatre | Movies Events | The Stone Roses Made Of Stone

Old 11-01-2013, 04:57 PM

16,087 posts, read 41,162,235 times

Dallas: Bigger Than Ever - YouTube

Old 11-01-2013, 07:27 PM

2,353 posts, read 3,862,846 times
Quote:
So I picked up and visited New Orleans and Baton Rouge over the weekend. I had the most wonderful eventful weekend and did things that cannot be done here in Dallas. The food was incredible and again, we cannot get that good food up here. I went to a Seafood Festival. We don't have seafood festivals up here. I went to an college football tailgate. There is no such thing a real college football team here, and tailgating at Jerry world sucks.

My friends seem to think the most exciting thing to do during summertime is going to a Rangers game. That's the best we have?

Quote:
Ok Mr. Lemon. So you are going running and biking and that's fine, as long as you and your biker friends confine yourself to the sidewalks and not the streets. But everything you said Mr. Lemon is about boozing. Thank you for proving my point.

Mr. Tucker, everything that you thought was so wonderful about NO and Baton Rouge was about boozing. What is your problem?

Old 11-02-2013, 07:15 AM

4,153 posts, read 9,267,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobloblawslawblog View Post
That's pretty much exactly how I've lived my life for the last 30 years, except I move more like every 3 years. 7 is way past the expiration date. Lived all over the country. Big cities, small towns, cold places, hot places, dry places, wet places... like Johnny Cash said; "I've been everywhere, man". I can understand both sides of the argument here.
This really isn't any argument, this thread is designed to agitate people and not produce anything constructive. Just listen to the OP, he's 100% offensive to any input. Further more, said the same things about the city he stated was much more fun than Dallas. This is nothing short of a T---- thread and CD refuses to do anything about it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas