Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-17-2013, 05:34 PM

2,169 posts, read 5,150,938 times

Advertisements

It's not really fair to compare Dallas to New Orleans, or any 24-hour city or section of a city that is essentially open 24 hours: Manhattan, Las Vegas, Miami Beach. Dallas, and just about every other city in the US, is going to come up short. Tourism is a large part of the life-blood of those cities so, of course, that's where they put much of their emphasis.

Old 10-17-2013, 05:56 PM

477 posts, read 1,045,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Considering Coming Back View Post
UGH. No one makes you live in Richardson. If culture and urban life are important to you Bishop Arts or Oak Lawn have many housing options available. Why did you CHOOSE to move to Richardson if you hate chain restaurants and malls? I mean you're willing to wait 30 minutes for microwaved food brought to you by a gal wearing buttons, but you can't drive 20 minutes to experience the city?

There is a TON to do here, just because you stopped learning how to explore a city at 18 doesn't mean we are boring. YOU are boring.
LOL I never said it was boring here. The OP did. I like living in Richardson and haven't eaten at a chain restaurant since I've moved thanks to the great ethnic food here.
I know how to have fun and I'm not too afraid to go somewhere like Nola b/c I have an unfounded fear of getting murdered, but hey maybe you don't trust yourself not to wander into Central City our Gert Town for whatever reason.
Dallas isn't boring, but I'm beginning to think a lot of it's snobby residents are. I am done here, go back to debating the merits of west plano vs central plano or which high school is best b/c its students scored a whole 3 points higher on the SAT.

Old 10-18-2013, 04:41 AM

1,271 posts, read 4,014,527 times
Forget the seafood or nightlife, you need to be concerned with the day to day goings on in the city. Relocated there for few years and while I met some wonderful people when living there I observed one too many self defeating backward thinking individuals.
Not surprised at all about the "limited entertainment" experience.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TommyT
ucker;31826848
So I picked up and visited New Orleans and Baton Rouge over the weekend. I had the most wonderful eventful weekend and did things that cannot be done here in Dallas. The food was incredible and again, we cannot get that good food up here. I went to a Seafood Festival. We don't have seafood festivals up here. I went to an college football tailgate. There is no such thing a real college football team here, and tailgating at Jerry world sucks.

My friends seem to think the most exciting thing to do during summertime is going to a Rangers game. That's the best we have?

Old 10-18-2013, 06:05 PM

1,901 posts, read 3,065,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimBaker488 View Post
If dodging bullets and gang shootouts is your idea of excitement, you betcha man, NOLA is one really exciting (& dangerous) place !
^^^Most ignorant post of the night.

People who talk about NOLA's violent crime rate either are suburbanites or they simply don't understand the obvious correlation between certain lifestyles and criminal activity.

I mean think about. How many times even in this thread have you read something similar to this: "I visit New Orleans aaaalll the time and LOVE IT, but would never live there because its so dangerous." I mean its really like someone saying "I love New York and visit as much as I can, but I wouldn't live there because I heard its dangerous in one certain part of Queens..." WELL DON'T GO TO THAT CERTAIN PART!

If New Orleans is so randomly dangerous, why aren't all these tourists shot year round

Leave your Halloween stories and just think, that's all.

...oh and Dallas is boring unless big hair, big chain stones, and big church is what you consider exciting(this part is sarcasm, but Dallas does have a lot of that stuff)

Last edited by Chilly Gentilly; 10-18-2013 at 06:53 PM..

Old 10-18-2013, 06:39 PM

13,384 posts, read 25,613,762 times
^^^You accuse a poster of being ignorant and then go on to show that you are just as much (if not more) ignorant.

Old 10-18-2013, 06:55 PM

There...I fixed it to make it more obvious that I was being sarcastic(My dry humor is confusing at times). I've got nothing against Dallas. Not my favorite city, but eh thats just me.

Old 10-21-2013, 10:06 AM

3,812 posts, read 4,390,646 times
It's funny, I know a ton of people from Louisiana who will all tell you that that Dallas sucks in comparison to their great state in all things save one...JOBS. Unfortunately, the ability to eat takes precedence over exciting night life, so here they all are....and I agree. Dallas is what it is. Shopping and going out to eat are the two big things here. Anyone trying to deny that either isnt from here or is in denial. That being said, Dallas (and Texas in general) are great places to get a decent job, buy a house, and have a good standard of living. So I (along with others) hold our noses and deal with it. I've been to NY and seen people stuck in cramped, old apartments on the 29th floor, because the idea of a single family home in a decent neighborhood is out of reach for many. I wouldnt trade my suburban living in Texas just to have Time Square (which is awesome btw) and all the other NY fun things to see and do. YMMV

Old 10-21-2013, 11:49 AM

1,783 posts, read 2,556,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by biafra4life View Post
It's funny, I know a ton of people from Louisiana who will all tell you that that Dallas sucks in comparison to their great state in all things save one...JOBS. Unfortunately, the ability to eat takes precedence over exciting night life, so here they all are....and I agree. Dallas is what it is. Shopping and going out to eat are the two big things here. Anyone trying to deny that either isnt from here or is in denial. That being said, Dallas (and Texas in general) are great places to get a decent job, buy a house, and have a good standard of living. So I (along with others) hold our noses and deal with it. I've been to NY and seen people stuck in cramped, old apartments on the 29th floor, because the idea of a single family home in a decent neighborhood is out of reach for many. I wouldn't trade my suburban living in Texas just to have Time Square (which is awesome btw) and all the other NY fun things to see and do. YMMV
Shopping and going out to eat are big everywhere. When we go on vacation one of the best things is trying new restaurants. I don't see it as a negative.

As far as living here you're close to hunting and fishing, all the professional sports, concerts all time(Granada, Gexa, Verizon, The Ft. Worth venues, City Tavern, Deep Ellum, etc.), miles and miles of trails for biking, Cedar Preserve Dogwood canyon, could rent a boat on a lake, White Rock Lake, Dallas Arboretum, Ft. Worth Botanical Gardens, DMA, Kimbell, Winspear, Ft. Worth now has bike rentals all over the downtown area(exact same thing as in Denver which we did while visiting there), wake board park, etc, etc, etc.

It is not in a Telluride box canyon to aid in your visual conquests, but it is easy to sit at home and say there is nothing really to do here other than eat or shop. One has to get out and actually go do them.

Old 10-21-2013, 06:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aceraceae View Post
Shopping and going out to eat are big everywhere. When we go on vacation one of the best things is trying new restaurants. I don't see it as a negative.

As far as living here you're close to hunting and fishing, all the professional sports, concerts all time(Granada, Gexa, Verizon, The Ft. Worth venues, City Tavern, Deep Ellum, etc.), miles and miles of trails for biking, Cedar Preserve Dogwood canyon, could rent a boat on a lake, White Rock Lake, Dallas Arboretum, Ft. Worth Botanical Gardens, DMA, Kimbell, Winspear, Ft. Worth now has bike rentals all over the downtown area(exact same thing as in Denver which we did while visiting there), wake board park, etc, etc, etc.

It is not in a Telluride box canyon to aid in your visual conquests, but it is easy to sit at home and say there is nothing really to do here other than eat or shop. One has to get out and actually go do them.
I think its a bit of a cop-out to assume that anyone who finds Dallas stale doesn't get out enough. Maybe its the opposite. Maybe they've done what it is to do there and they still just don't like it...big deal

Old 10-21-2013, 07:10 PM
JJG

13,612 posts, read 22,798,508 times
....soooooo many of you took the bait in this, I'm actually disappointed.

Oh BTW, STOP using Fort Worth as a "Dallas tourism destination". Damn...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas