U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-19-2007, 02:37 PM

96 posts, read 311,338 times

Advertisements

have the opportunity to make a major career move at the beginning of '08. opportunities are available in chicago, atl and dallas. anyone have thoughts on how the three stack up against one another?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-19-2007, 03:27 PM

486 posts, read 1,308,674 times
We just got back from a hockey tournament in Chicago, and I would love to live in downtown Chicago. Probably not with 4 dogs and two kids but downtown is an incredible environment. Of course, there was no snow two weeks ago either.

Old 11-19-2007, 04:45 PM

161 posts, read 676,597 times
Default ATL vs. Chicago, Dallas

O.K. I can only say that I love Atlanta, but am moving to Dallas! Am orginally from Calgary, Alberta (Canada) and have also lived in San Diego, Fairfax, Virgina and Grapevine, Tx.

Which city is best? Obviously it depends on what point you are in your life?

* twenty something/recent college grad? - ATL has got a great night life
* outdoorsy type? Atl has better weather than Dallas- but if you like snow - Chicago it is!
* buying your first home? - the Dallas area has very affordable housing
* arsty type - Little 5 Points in ATL, Deep Ellum? in Dallas
* public transportation? Dallas is poor, ATL a bit better, best in Chicago
* Texas - no state income tax, but high property taxes
* ATL - running out of water, fast !

O.K. that is my two cents - I could go on & on about Atlanta - but I actually live in the burbs, about 20 miles north of ATL.

BTW, Where would you be moving from???

Good Luck!

Old 11-19-2007, 10:10 PM

96 posts, read 311,338 times
would be moving from jackson, mississippi. so anywhere is a step up. your analysis was very helpful!

Old 11-20-2007, 08:43 AM

16,092 posts, read 37,737,666 times
I find Chicago very friendly, but you might get some anti-Southern bias (you see it on this forum every day). I am from Dallas and my sister lived in Atlanta for several years. I really like it, but I would also say it's probably easier to be close in to the cool spots in Dallas over Atlanta. Dallas actually does have a pretty good public transportation system (DART rail) which is about to double in size.

If you want true urbanity I would say Chicago blows the others away. They can also drink anyone under the table, with the possible exception of Aussies. However I think Dallas provides a good balance -- and there are outdoor activities and very little if any snow.

Old 11-20-2007, 12:28 PM

415 posts, read 1,594,062 times
I found Chicago miserable in many ways, but I have family who live there and they love it, so I think it really depends.

I have a friend living in Atlanta and she loves it. I've visited once, but had some negative experiences that colored my perceptions. I'd be willing to give it another shot (can you say peaches? )

When my boyfriend and I were looking to move out of Wisconsin, we were open to anywhere we could transfer or get new jobs, including other countries. There are a lot of really cool sounding places out there, so to narrow it down, we had to prioritize our values.

Probably first was cost of living (well, after the job thing, because none of it's affordable without a job ). Then proximity to family. For me, weather was next. Then politics/laws.

You have a shorter city list, but the things you find important still need to drive your values list. Also, look at what you currently expect from your hometown - Jackson isn't all bad or they probably would have shut down by now...

Old 11-20-2007, 04:26 PM

26 posts, read 24,482 times
I have lived in Dallas my whole life and although I've never personally been to either Chicago or Atlanta I know many people from there or who currently live in Chicago.

From what I have gathered Atlanta is not that much different than Dallas in many respects. You still have the same suburban sprawl, hot weather,and pros/cons. Atlanta seems to have slightly better scenery but remember that Dallas has no scenery so thats not hard to beat

Chicago from what I hear is a great place as long as you don't mind the cold and heavy snowfall in the winter. It is a very vibrant and hip city that offers a variety of entertainment opportunities. Plus Chicago is big enough to have a large vibrant urban area and also have suburban areas nearby.

Dallas is not a bad place, just not for everyone. I would say that our biggest advantage is the low price of homes. Of course I'm a big believer that low prices are such for a reason...they don't happen by accident. So don't expect the same level of recreational/entertainment that you could get in Chicago or even the same scenery as I hear it is beautiful along Lake Michigan.

Never the less there are some nice areas in Dallas which could fit the bill. I would personally recomend you stay on the Dallas side of DFW airport as there are not only more things to do but neighborhoods tend to be nicer generally speaking. The exceptions on the West side being Grapevine, South Lake, and Keller/Fossil Ridge. 10 years ago I would have said the Mid-Cities to but not anymore and I grew up over there but now I live in Addison which is a very nice place to live.

Old 11-20-2007, 11:14 PM

5,601 posts, read 13,550,775 times
I would probably take Chicago first, Dallas 2nd and Atlanta third.
Just my experiences.

Old 11-21-2007, 03:00 PM

6,585 posts, read 23,522,280 times
Chicago would be the biggest culture shock for you, but I would probably pick that one having been to all 3 and lived in 2 of them (and having spent a few nights in Jackson over the years). Chicago is a very exciting place, but in the winters can be VERY cold with that wind blowing off the lake.

Atlanta and Dallas are, to me, six of one, half dozen of the other. Similar in a lot of ways. I would probably pick Dallas second, then Atlanta although it would probably depend on what part of town my job would be in.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas