U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-31-2013, 06:00 PM

291 posts, read 613,865 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajacksb View Post
Yep, Uptown is overrated. I'm from the northeast and was looking for a Brooklyn/South Philly vibe. Seemed more like an outdoor shopping mall filled with pretentious people trying very hard to look wealthy.

Brooklyn is where I'm from and I love Philly! I got more of an urban NYC vibe when I lived in Oak Lawn than when I lived in Uptown.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-01-2013, 12:40 AM

16 posts, read 41,390 times
I lived in NYC for a decade and have been in Dallas nearly as long. Here's my take, knowing both cities well.

Uptown is basically the only neighborhood in Dallas with any level of population density that remotely feels like a "city." It has a lot of bars, restaurants, stores, etc. within a few blocks. No where else in Dallas really has that. Maybe a couple stretches of Lower Greenville. Maybe the couple blocks of Bishop Arts. Maybe parts of Knox-Henderson. Deep Ellum looks much more urban, but half the places are empty. You'll see more "for lease" signs in the storefronts than actual merchandise. Every year there are stories about Deep Ellum "coming back," but after a decade of such stories, I wouldn't bet that it'll happen anytime soon.

Go to Google maps street view and you'll see what I mean. Most of the rest of Dallas is either residential or a mess of highways and strip malls.

Uptown is indeed pretentious and sort of the epitome of conspicuous consumption among the younger set in Dallas. Neighborhoods in Manhattan have that too though, and by comparison, maybe it won't strike you as all that bad. I personally rarely go to Uptown, despite living just a 2 minute drive from there. It has a sort of spoiled frat boy / sorority girl "conspicuous consumption" vibe that I don't personally like. But, like anyplace, you can meet people you'll like.

I haven't checked out uptown rent prices in a while, but your budget might be a little low for uptown. It's not a cheap place to rent. In fact, I dare say it's unlikely you can find a place you'll like with your budget.

If having something dense and walkable is really important to you, then Uptown is about the only option. (Downtown is pretty desolate). But, if the neighborhood isn't to your liking, there are other options. They just won't have as much stuff close buy. If you tell me what specific neighborhood(s) in NYC you like, I'll happily suggest places in Dallas that I think would be a good fit.

Old 11-02-2013, 03:10 PM

3 posts, read 4,111 times
Hey, thanks for all of the suggestions!!! So I have narrowed my list down to Post heights, meridian and vineyard. All with rent around $1050. But Manor House dowtown is really catching my eye. I know downtown is desolate and pretty boring, but for $974 ALL utilities included I might reconsider. Any input??

Old 11-02-2013, 04:00 PM

12,452 posts, read 24,169,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by patrickg112 View Post
Hey, thanks for all of the suggestions!!! So I have narrowed my list down to Post heights, meridian and vineyard. All with rent around $1050. But Manor House dowtown is really catching my eye. I know downtown is desolate and pretty boring, but for $974 ALL utilities included I might reconsider. Any input??
Manor House is a cool building in one of the better parts of downtown, as far as restaurants / bars/ neighborhood amenities. I knew a guy who lived there for a bit and he loved it; seemed like a friendly building. The annoying thing is you have to valet (no self park in their garage) so leave ample time when coming & going and expect the requisite door dings that come along with the valet life.

Old 11-02-2013, 04:12 PM

2,175 posts, read 4,655,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by patrickg112 View Post
Downtown is getting better as far as street life goes but still has a ways to go.

Old 11-03-2013, 12:27 PM

2,258 posts, read 3,186,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajacksb View Post
Yep, Uptown is overrated. I'm from the northeast and was looking for a Brooklyn/South Philly vibe. Seemed more like an outdoor shopping mall filled with pretentious people trying very hard to look wealthy.
"Outdoor shopping mall" is a good way to describe West Village. I enjoy walking around the area, but there's something that seems very artificial about the place. Probably the people.

Old 11-09-2013, 05:06 PM

44 posts, read 63,209 times
I would not rent from post.

Stick with Gables

Old 11-13-2013, 07:10 AM

3 posts, read 4,111 times
Why would you stay away from post?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas