Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-20-2007, 11:47 AM

22 posts, read 94,578 times

Advertisements

Background...Hubby is considering job offers near Plano and Coppell - so I'm doing some prelim looking in both areas. We sold our house over a year ago in McKinney because we knew we'd be transitioning.

Anyway, I'd really like to go with the 'modern bungalow' look of stained concrete. I really like that it adds visual warmth and is 'green' (meaning sustainable). Mostly I love that it would be a great fit for our dog and cat (that have accidents - from time to time). Pet urine accidents as well as the occational hairball yakup has proved unavoidable. I plan to have some nice cushy area rugs (in our living area) and chefs mats in the kitchen so comfort should be fine. I know we'll love the easy care care and look because we lived in a loft years ago that had them. But... there's always 'a but' right ... Is Plano or Coppell ready for stained concrete floors? We plan to stay in the house long-term. However, if we need to sell will my resale value be shot? I'd do tile in the bathrooms and carpet in the bedrooms (where pets don't go). Any thoughts and suggestions are welcome. Here's a photo of the warm stain close to what I'd like http://www.titanconcrete.com/images/...owboyChik2.JPG
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-20-2007, 12:04 PM

212 posts, read 1,153,721 times
Personally, I love the look of stained concrete. I think it can work with several different decorating styles (modern, mission, arts & crafts), and it seems like it would be easy to put carpeting or some other flooring on top of it should you sell it to someone that's not in love with the way it looks.

Since you're planning to stay in the house long term, I think you should go for it. You can't predict what the hot decorating trends will be 10 years down the road- it might even be stained concrete! So I would do what makes you happy, especially since it's a decorating choice that could easily be undone in the future.

Old 11-20-2007, 12:30 PM

875 posts, read 1,092,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluefish View Post
Background...Hubby is considering job offers near Plano and Coppell - so I'm doing some prelim looking in both areas. We sold our house over a year ago in McKinney because we knew we'd be transitioning.

Anyway, I'd really like to go with the 'modern bungalow' look of stained concrete. I really like that it adds visual warmth and is 'green' (meaning sustainable). Mostly I love that it would be a great fit for our dog and cat (that have accidents - from time to time). Pet urine accidents as well as the occational hairball yakup has proved unavoidable. I plan to have some nice cushy area rugs (in our living area) and chefs mats in the kitchen so comfort should be fine. I know we'll love the easy care care and look because we lived in a loft years ago that had them. But... there's always 'a but' right ... Is Plano or Coppell ready for stained concrete floors? We plan to stay in the house long-term. However, if we need to sell will my resale value be shot? I'd do tile in the bathrooms and carpet in the bedrooms (where pets don't go). Any thoughts and suggestions are welcome. Here's a photo of the warm stain close to what I'd like http://www.titanconcrete.com/images/...owboyChik2.JPG
I love that look! I like concrete counter tops too! Concrete floors are a very trendy style in many parts of the country.

Would dog/cat accidents stain them though?

Old 11-20-2007, 12:33 PM

670 posts, read 2,998,208 times
I am pretty sure we've seen them in homes in Collin County.

My dad has them in Colorado and he got them BECAUSE OF the dogs (he has 10-15 dogs at any given time). I don't think he has a problem with them.

We wouldn't get them as the women in our family have a tendency towards plantar fasciitis and that's a HUGE risk factor.

Old 11-20-2007, 01:42 PM

12,229 posts, read 21,492,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by USA_Mom View Post

We wouldn't get them as the women in our family have a tendency towards plantar fasciitis and that's a HUGE risk factor.
Is that even through a good, supportive, podiatrist-approved shoe, or are you referring to walking around barefoot?

Old 11-20-2007, 02:20 PM

506 posts, read 2,148,653 times
I love concrete floors and we're talking about doing them in conjunction with an upcoming remodel. To me, resale is a non-issue since one could always cover them with carpeting. We have friends who have had them for 20+ years and wouldn't live with anything else. They have stained/polished concrete downstairs with flat commercial carpet upstairs (since they couldn't have concrete up there) and they're beautiful. The only thing they do is have them waxed every year to maintain the luster they like.

Old 11-20-2007, 02:23 PM

3,589 posts, read 4,145,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluefish View Post

If you're planning to stay in the house long-term I wouldn't worry about how stained concrete will affect your re-sale value. You may get tired of them long before you try to sell anyway, and you can always cover them with carpet or, if appropriately installed, a hardwood floor.

Go for it if that's what you want.

Old 11-20-2007, 02:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Debsi View Post
Is that even through a good, supportive, podiatrist-approved shoe, or are you referring to walking around barefoot?
Kind of both, I have suffered a bit from the pain just on a slab with Birkenstocks (don't flame me ) and carpet, but I just won't take the risk. My mom's already had 2 surgeries and she's hasn't been barefoot now in 15 years except for sleeping. I am a wuss and the pain I had was bad, so I can't imagine it like she has had.

I *do* think it can be gorgeous though and like it at dad's.

Old 11-20-2007, 02:33 PM

12,229 posts, read 21,492,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by USA_Mom View Post
Kind of both, I have suffered a bit from the pain just on a slab with Birkenstocks (don't flame me ) and carpet, but I just won't take the risk. My mom's already had 2 surgeries and she's hasn't been barefoot now in 15 years except for sleeping. I am a wuss and the pain I had was bad, so I can't imagine it like she has had.

I *do* think it can be gorgeous though and like it at dad's.
Yes, I have nothing against concrete except plantar fascitis, the OP should go for it. (I cannot spell that *@*$#* word!) I don't know if my hardwoods and ceramic tile are much better for feet though. I always wear sandals around the house, preferably with an arch support. I don't have bad pain like your Mom though (yet? )
I never go barefoot since my podiatrist yelled at me, except for maybe like 5 minutes. Don't tell.

Old 11-20-2007, 02:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Debsi View Post
Yes, I have nothing against concrete except plantar fascitis, the OP should go for it. (I cannot spell that *@*$#* word!) I don't know if my hardwoods and ceramic tile are much better for feet though. I always wear sandals around the house, preferably with an arch support. I don't have bad pain like your Mom though (yet? )
I never go barefoot since my podiatrist yelled at me, except for maybe like 5 minutes. Don't tell.

LOL I think it's the slabs that do it, I mean even the plushiest of carpet on a slab won't have as much give as being upstairs or pier and beam. But I just envision dishes breaking; however, in the last house we owned it was ceramic tile in all wet areas--NEVER BROKE A DISH. When we went to Georgia last year it was vinyl in the house we rented and OMG a dish broke weekly. How's that for bad luck? LOL. Well I did get new glasses out of it though
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas