Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-01-2013, 11:21 AM

794 posts, read 1,669,959 times

Advertisements

I live in West Plano and assure you that you are probably in a more sensitive mode due to your relocation or encounter with some bad eggs. Most people are nice towards every one, some are indiffrent/reserve and some are naturally rude but no more than any other town. We have a very diverse community and almost every one has Asian/South Asian friends/ colleagues/ neighbors/clients/friends of kids/doctor/accquaintance etc so its unlikely that it is a race issue.

To be honest, I felt like scolding some kids who threw empty wrappers on my driveway or grabbed several goody bags we were offering. If I were feeling crappy then probably I would not be as nice as I managed to be. When I drop kids to school then I'm not looking for new friends. I just want in and out with exception of smiling or saying hi to teachers, kid's friends their parents or people I alredy know. Same goes for grocery shopping, usually I smile if my eyes meet other person's but mostly I'm engulfed in my own thoughts.

Old 11-01-2013, 11:26 AM

19,855 posts, read 65,798,569 times
Not as nice as your area, but last night as my son's house in Little Elm (Sunset Pointe) were 5 couples, all Filipina wives, 4 white husbands, 1 Afr Amer husband. All kids were mixed. Went out trick-or-treating and had a great time. Had many mixed kids come to the door as well.

Not everyone wants to live way out here but it is a good area for families.

Old 11-01-2013, 12:30 PM

1,341 posts, read 4,905,612 times
On some level I do get what you are saying deeps. But on the other hand, its only been a couple of months. I have had some off color (no pun intended) remarks made and I was brought up in this country from cali and then new York and I have to say, for the first time in my life, I have been quite aware, that I am indian. Its very strange because only another indian will "get it". Sorry, that is just the way it is. I laugh because as someone else stated, those are the 30k millionaires! How funny is that.

Honestly, I wouldn't let it bother you, but I can hear that it does. Feel free to pm me if you want. We chose frisco, I don't know how it fares to WP, but we have a blend of north plano and south frisco blend. Its been pretty okay, but you have to put yourself totally out there. I think its just hard to break into a new place in general. I have spoken to other NON indian transplants and they are going thru the same thing. All are moms, former working moms and they all say the same thing.

"its hard to break in here in texas isn't it?". So no its not you. A friend of mine who is a corp exec said that she was judged based on the fact that they were only "Renters" and didn't have friends for year, and then when they bought....people
"all of sudden" opened up.

strange. chin up girl!

Old 11-01-2013, 12:38 PM

118 posts, read 252,780 times
Reading all this now makes me NOT surprised about the bullying that happened in West Plano High.

Old 11-01-2013, 12:47 PM

1,783 posts, read 2,570,707 times
I've never had any of these issues. I'm a white male, far from wealthy, but spent a lot of time in WP and other affluent areas.

We had a good time talking to some neighbors handing out candy in McKinney last night.

Old 11-01-2013, 01:06 PM

51 posts, read 98,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DFWtransplant189 View Post
Reading all this now makes me NOT surprised about the bullying that happened in West Plano High.
Which is why we are leaning towards not buying here. We were talking to a lady from Nairobi the other day and though the posters keep saying not to use the "race card", I can put my money down that certain areas of West Plano is all about it.

This 11 yr old child who was born here to Kenyan parents was traumatized at a West Plano elementary school. So much so she would come up with excuses to not go to school. She was called a monkey time and again and was always singled out. Her shirt/shoe tags were checked by other girls and were made fun of because they weren't from "Justice". The girl has now turned very aggressive and upset at everyone she sees. Staying by herself seems a way of life for her. It is extremely sad. If this is what W. plano schools offer, we better find some place that is not that high on academics but has a positive feel to the environment.

All in all we do love the Windhaven area I wish I had met a better set of people here. Thanks to the longer build times in Avignon, we did not sign a contract there. If not we would be stuck with a house with neighbors who see thru us

Old 11-01-2013, 01:07 PM

44 posts, read 103,954 times
This is not my experience of Windhaven at all, and I am also Asian. My kid's friends are mostly Asian (different ethnicities) and went trick or treating in this area. Just not our experience, not familiar with any prejudice against Asians. There are tons of Asians in this area!

I grew up in Plano in the 70s and 80s, and there were very few Asians back then. That's when there was real prejudice.

Old 11-01-2013, 01:10 PM

5,263 posts, read 6,398,312 times
I just put our candy bucket outside while we were trick or treating and let kids take as much as they want. Yeah, I'm a baller and can spend $3 on another bag of candy. Protip: if you want kids to take less, just put out tootsie rolls and smarties and other hard candy. The average kid hates that stuff. Intersperce some rocks for that charlie brown nostalgia.

Old 11-01-2013, 01:15 PM

1,783 posts, read 2,570,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deepika1977 View Post
Which is why we are leaning towards not buying here. We were talking to a lady from Nairobi the other day and though the posters keep saying not to use the "race card", I can put my money down that certain areas of West Plano is all about it.

This 11 yr old child who was born here to Kenyan parents was traumatized at a West Plano elementary school. So much so she would come up with excuses to not go to school. She was called a monkey time and again and was always singled out. Her shirt/shoe tags were checked by other girls and were made fun of because they weren't from "Justice". The girl has now turned very aggressive and upset at everyone she sees. Staying by herself seems a way of life for her. It is extremely sad. If this is what W. plano schools offer, we better find some place that is not that high on academics but has a positive feel to the environment.

All in all we do love the Windhaven area I wish I had met a better set of people here. Thanks to the longer build times in Avignon, we did not sign a contract there. If not we would be stuck with a house with neighbors who see thru us
We don't have children yet. Perhaps that would change our experiences in other areas.

Old 11-01-2013, 01:16 PM

44 posts, read 103,954 times
I'm still puzzled by this whole recounting of events. Brinker Elementary, really? I was at drop-off this morning, too. Drop-off at Brinker is just about as orderly as can be - much more organized than at my kids' other schools. Certainly I don't see a lot of people screaming at each other, or even opportunity to yell about home countries and whatnot.

Again, there are just so many Asians of all varieties in this school and neighborhood that I can't reconcile the idea of anti-Asian exclusion. I feel very comfortable there. I am relatively new to the community and found it easy to find volunteer events, and people were nice to me, although I will say that it seems like they've all known each other forever and have their own social groups.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas