U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 03-04-2016, 10:26 AM
 
28 posts, read 28,868 times
Reputation: 12

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayerdu View Post
Our family of 5 moved to Southlake in 2012. Our goal was similar to yours - find an area that had good safe schools and a community feel. Also like you, we had heard about the stereotypes of Southlake which were a put off. But because of the schools and commute, we took the plunge and we could not be happier.

Since we have moved here, there has been a shift of sorts. The baby boomers whose kids are now in college are moving out and a wave of gen x families are moving in. I honestly do feel that the "vain" aspect is more of a boomer thing than our generation. In my street of 16 homes, 9 families of our age have moved in the past 10 years. This is slowly but surely changing the population and the feel. If you look up the stats, the median household income is about $170 k and the median home value is low $500k. That means that even though there are ridiculously rich people here, most of us are upper middle class. The fact is, over 50% of homes in southlake are in the $400-600 range. Also, almost 70% of adults have a college degree.

Also, you will find that there a lot of transplants here. If you go to Facebook and look up Southlake moms, you will see this to be the case.

Does southlake love it's football? Yes. But did you know that they have won state championships in swimming, cross country, etc? They also just broke the record for the number of students who enrolled in the debate club. The drama club is huge here also. Like I said, the population is changing and hence the culture is changing. Since my kids have been in school there have been 4 to 5 students who are minorities in each one of their classes out of 20 students. I definitely see that there is more balance than people think there is in southlake.

I am not a social butterfly who is eager to be a president of the pto, etc. I just want my kids to have a great quality education in a safe place and grow up with good people. And I feel that the goal is being met here.

Finally, I am not saying there aren't crazy people here. What I am saying is that I don't see any more crazies here than any other nice suburban area. I definitely feel like most people here are more like us than the Southlake stereotype.

Jayerdu, thank you for your post with your personal experience. If you were able to read my first post on this thread you probably know that I was hoping to hear from residents like Synchronocity and yourself. Hearing from you and her makes me feel better about SL. I understand for non-residents (such as myself), SL's reputation precedes it's residents so there is a certain "look" that Synch mentioned ppl who live in SL get but that's not something I care about. I'm much more concerned with what my neighbors might be like or what kind of mentality will surround my children.

I realize every place a certain type of ppl whether it's show-off snobs or low-class slobs, but I wouldn't want a ton of either in whatever city I am looking to move into and looks like SL may still fit the bill with changing times. I'm happy to hear that!

I still plan on checking out what some others suggested - a Colleyville but I won't completely take SL off so if I see a house I can afford I won't be as hesitant as I have been before this thread.

Thank you so much!

And if there is something/anything else you can think of that you would have loved to be to,d before you moved there, please do share!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 03-04-2016, 11:43 AM
 
Location: Dallas
2,092 posts, read 2,571,039 times
Reputation: 3428
If you're working in Downtown Dallas I don't understand why you're focusing so hard on Colleyville and Southlake. Both of those would be insane commutes; Like an hour during rush hour both ways, pretty much staring straight into the sun. There are great areas closer. If you're hell bent on newer suburban areas you might want to consider Plano, Rockwall, Richardson, or Sunnyvale. There's also neighborhoods in Dallas proper like Lakewood, northwest Dallas, and Lakehighlands. Those neighborhoods have great elementary schools. The Dallas proper neighborhoods have a vibe that is actually more similar to the neighborhood you are coming from.
__________________
MODERATOR FOR AUSTIN, DALLAS, FORT LAUDERDALE, & TEXAS
Terms of Service/FAQ/Information for Realtors
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-05-2016, 11:04 AM
 
28 posts, read 28,868 times
Reputation: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by RonnieinDallas View Post
If you're working in Downtown Dallas I don't understand why you're focusing so hard on Colleyville and Southlake. Both of those would be insane commutes; Like an hour during rush hour both ways, pretty much staring straight into the sun. There are great areas closer. If you're hell bent on newer suburban areas you might want to consider Plano, Rockwall, Richardson, or Sunnyvale. There's also neighborhoods in Dallas proper like Lakewood, northwest Dallas, and Lakehighlands. Those neighborhoods have great elementary schools. The Dallas proper neighborhoods have a vibe that is actually more similar to the neighborhood you are coming from.

I actually wasnt "feeling" Richardson, although on paper it works for me. Same for Plano on the east. I have to check out Plano west-side to make a determination on that so next I'm out there, that's the plan a God willing.

While some elementary schools are good in some areas of Dallas proper, the HS leave much to be desired and I'm not sure I can afford private school. And I'm also not sure my kids will have the grades to get into some magnet school. Not to mention the style of houses is not something that interests me and for my price range ($700 max) I don't think I can afford the style or size I want/need (likely we will have my in-laws who are getting old come live with us so we want space to accommodate everyone).

I don't know anything about Sunnyvale or Rockwell so will have to look into that.

Colleyville was not a consideration until some ppl mentioned it here so I do want to check it out.

I think the problem is that I need to come terms with the fact that "something's gotta give". Either I have to deal with the long commute but a house that suits my wants (in terms of sq ft, lot, bds, bths, pool, etc.) or suck it up and live closer but have smaller home, lot, less bths, etc. I am kinda leaning toward the former bc even if I spend two hours commuting a day, the hours I'm at home I want to spend enjoying the home with the family and not feeling like there's no elbow room.

Sorry I tend to start writing like I think and just ramble on haha, thanks for your suggestion Ronnie. I'll check out Sunnyvale and Rockwell.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-09-2016, 12:39 PM
 
Location: Simmering in DFW
6,948 posts, read 19,449,337 times
Reputation: 7208
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigMama_A View Post
I actually wasnt "feeling" Richardson, although on paper it works for me. Same for Plano on the east. I have to check out Plano west-side to make a determination on that so next I'm out there, that's the plan a God willing.

While some elementary schools are good in some areas of Dallas proper, the HS leave much to be desired and I'm not sure I can afford private school. And I'm also not sure my kids will have the grades to get into some magnet school. Not to mention the style of houses is not something that interests me and for my price range ($700 max) I don't think I can afford the style or size I want/need (likely we will have my in-laws who are getting old come live with us so we want space to accommodate everyone).

I don't know anything about Sunnyvale or Rockwell so will have to look into that.

Colleyville was not a consideration until some ppl mentioned it here so I do want to check it out.

I think the problem is that I need to come terms with the fact that "something's gotta give". Either I have to deal with the long commute but a house that suits my wants (in terms of sq ft, lot, bds, bths, pool, etc.) or suck it up and live closer but have smaller home, lot, less bths, etc. I am kinda leaning toward the former bc even if I spend two hours commuting a day, the hours I'm at home I want to spend enjoying the home with the family and not feeling like there's no elbow room.

Sorry I tend to start writing like I think and just ramble on haha, thanks for your suggestion Ronnie. I'll check out Sunnyvale and Rockwell.
Just want to insert here that I made the decision to do the commute in trade for the big, new house. So from the time my son was 7 until 18 he had a mom who spent at least 90 minutes more per weekday when he was awake and could have had my attention. It was a bad mistake and impacted my family life in countless ways. I have learned that in the end people do adjust to where they live it if meets most requirements. And most spaces can be modified to your needs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-09-2016, 02:12 PM
 
52 posts, read 40,575 times
Reputation: 61
your budget is $800 thousand dollars? why the hell would you want to spend that much money on a house. You can't possibly need a house that big.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-10-2016, 11:17 AM
 
Location: Southlake
4 posts, read 2,501 times
Reputation: 10
I recommend Southlake for the great schools and retail that it has. Its a great city with all the ingredients needed to make it a your home.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-18-2016, 09:56 AM
 
28 posts, read 28,868 times
Reputation: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Squirl View Post
Just want to insert here that I made the decision to do the commute in trade for the big, new house. So from the time my son was 7 until 18 he had a mom who spent at least 90 minutes more per weekday when he was awake and could have had my attention. It was a bad mistake and impacted my family life in countless ways. I have learned that in the end people do adjust to where they live it if meets most requirements. And most spaces can be modified to your needs.

Can I ask whether you at least enjoyed the home? Like I understand you spent a lot of time commuting, but when you were actually home, was it pleasant or did you feel it wasn't worth it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-18-2016, 10:03 AM
 
28 posts, read 28,868 times
Reputation: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by thinking about texas View Post
your budget is $800 thousand dollars? why the hell would you want to spend that much money on a house. You can't possibly need a house that big.

I agree that $800k is A LOT to spend on a house, but I think you're confusing cost with size. Where I am now, an $800,000 house is 3,000 sq ft and dated. I am looking for a house for 8 people so 3,000 sq ft gets tight very quickly. In relocating to Texas, our money goes further but I was hoping not to spend that much. Oh and my budget is actually not $800k, it was $600k but looks like I might be spending closer to $700k to be in a house that can accommodate so many people plus have a good school district and easy access to highways.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-18-2016, 10:06 AM
 
28 posts, read 28,868 times
Reputation: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shalvi View Post
I recommend Southlake for the great schools and retail that it has. Its a great city with all the ingredients needed to make it a your home.

Thanks for your input! Do you live there now?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-19-2016, 10:55 AM
 
65 posts, read 54,269 times
Reputation: 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigMama_A View Post
Thanks for your input! Do you live there now?
I recently bought a house in Southlake and during my several visits to my house I had the chance to meet some of my neighbors, they are very nice and decent people who live in my community for more than 10 years.

Every time I was there I saw kids playing/riding bicycles outside, people jogging/running, so it gives me the idea that it is a very safe area.

Since I haven't moved there yet, I couldn't give advice about school/experience, but I can give you some advice on budget. Since you mentioned you have 8 people, so I would suggest 5 bedrooms and >4000 sqft, that's possible to find such home between 600k and 700k but there probably be a lot of upgrades you need to do. Between 700k and 750k, the house will be sort of move in ready but may still not be what you want.

Check on Redfin every day to get a basic idea about the "reasonable" price, usually to me if such house listing price drops below 650k that means you need to act quickly, tour it the same day & put the offer since the house will be gone within 1-3 days.

Personally I like the communities south of Southlake Blvd, they are old but mature, replacing floor with hardwood and repaint the house won't cost you much but will make the house look totally different if the budget becomes the limitation factor. Buying a house is much like personal feeling so you may have certain community you really like, try to get at least 2 years market data and try to develop a sense of FINAL listing price VS days on market AFTER final listing price, there's always correlation in between.

Good luck on your house hunting!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top