U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-03-2013, 10:18 AM

1 posts, read 2,767 times

Advertisements

I want to relocate to Plano or Frisco depending on the school district. Which ISD has best elementary schools and if anyone can name few schools that would be helpful. Thanks in advance.
Rate this post positively

Old 11-03-2013, 10:58 AM

2,330 posts, read 3,253,940 times
Overall, Plano high schools are considered better than Frisco high schools. About the only published criteria for elementary schools are the state wide STAAR results.

It would help if we knew your budget. While there isn't as wide a range of costs in Frisco, there is a big difference in housing costs in Plano.

Old 11-03-2013, 01:03 PM

7,481 posts, read 9,217,926 times
OP in Plano, Brinker and Centenial are both good elementary schools as well as a few others I am sure. Are you loking to buy or rent and what is your budget to help narrow down good choices in Plano for you to consider?

Old 11-03-2013, 01:36 PM

39 posts, read 115,233 times
this is a touchy subject and i have many opinions on it so please dont take this the wrong way.

i have two family members that teach in Plano ISD and i live in Frisco ISD. i had to make a choice of where to send my kids and asked my family members and here is what we found out.

for instance, the area we wanted to move in plano was very well regarded and also 75% asian/indian. my friends class has 20 of 22 kids that are asian and she said that its VERY competitive and they literally come from India and Japan way ahead of Americans for the same age.

based on that we decided to go with Frisco which many will argue is on the same level as Plano and just as good. We couldnt be happier. we just felt like in the end our kids will have a good chance to be in the top 10-25% of their class in Frisco vs Plano. Our friend told us that basically of her 3rd graders, the 22nd out of 22 kids would be in the higher end of a normal school disctrict and i just dont want that happening to us.

so much in Texas is based on top 10/25/50% of your class and we couldnt be happier in Frisco ISD

Old 11-03-2013, 04:46 PM

2,676 posts, read 3,956,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brandonsimmons View Post
this is a touchy subject and i have many opinions on it so please dont take this the wrong way.

i have two family members that teach in Plano ISD and i live in Frisco ISD. i had to make a choice of where to send my kids and asked my family members and here is what we found out.

for instance, the area we wanted to move in plano was very well regarded and also 75% asian/indian. my friends class has 20 of 22 kids that are asian and she said that its VERY competitive and they literally come from India and Japan way ahead of Americans for the same age.

based on that we decided to go with Frisco which many will argue is on the same level as Plano and just as good. We couldnt be happier. we just felt like in the end our kids will have a good chance to be in the top 10-25% of their class in Frisco vs Plano. Our friend told us that basically of her 3rd graders, the 22nd out of 22 kids would be in the higher end of a normal school disctrict and i just dont want that happening to us.

so much in Texas is based on top 10/25/50% of your class and we couldnt be happier in Frisco ISD
But doesn't quality count? If there's a culture of achievement it improves the education of everyone involved. So while (using your example) a kid may come of of Plano in the 50th percentile, they're better prepared for college than a kid with a higher ranking at Frisco. It's like picking a Tier 2 school over a Tier 1 because you're concerned about competition.

Old 11-03-2013, 05:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreyDay View Post
But doesn't quality count? If there's a culture of achievement it improves the education of everyone involved. So while (using your example) a kid may come of of Plano in the 50th percentile, they're better prepared for college than a kid with a higher ranking at Frisco. It's like picking a Tier 2 school over a Tier 1 because you're concerned about competition.
You are correct. My son is a senior at PESH and we have been taking college tours across the country. They all know what a Plano education means. On these tours, a few Frisco kids have been included, and they get labeled as being from Dallas. That is how admission offices see students.

Old 11-03-2013, 07:24 PM

2,206 posts, read 4,223,931 times
Either you want to be the best or you don't.

I went to a HS much like PESH and while most of my classmates were not NMSF, all of them are senior execs, doctors, lawyers, senior military officers, etc. The program and the level of competition made the difference. Sure, my friends could have gone to another HS, but they probably would not be where they are today. Its better to be in the top 5% at PESH than the top 1% at a lesser school.

I work with a lot of Asians. They are not ten feet tall. They just stress academics. I had the opportunity to go to college with some extremely well prepared Asians and European whiz kids. By my Jr year I was able to keep up and even outperform them - because I accepted the challenge their presence posed.

Old 11-03-2013, 07:52 PM

Quote:

The ones arguing that Frisco is the same level are those that are trying to justify sending their students to Frisco rather than Plano. If your student is in the top 10% in Frisco and you know that they would be in the top 50% in Plano, that right there tells you that Plano is better.

Old 11-03-2013, 08:09 PM

954 posts, read 1,595,788 times
Quote:

Stay away from Lawler Park elementary. It is going to be at least 50% asians and will be super competitive. Richwoods and Lawler Park subdivision will feed into it.

Old 11-03-2013, 08:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by frenzyrider View Post
Stay away from Lawler Park elementary. It is going to be at least 50% asians and will be super competitive. Richwoods and Lawler Park subdivision will feed into it.
What if the OP WANTS a competitive school?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas