Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-09-2013, 12:29 PM

1 posts, read 6,086 times

Advertisements

We will be moving to the Plano area in 6 months to get our two special needs children in a good school district as well as closer to their private occupational and speech therapists. Although most people say that Plano ISD is the best district, we have heard that it depends on the particular school and we would like to know which specific elementary schools have been best for children with Autism. It does seem like Centennial is very good but we cannot afford a $300K home in order to be assigned to this school. Any advice or personal experiences would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-28-2013, 03:41 PM

9 posts, read 32,135 times
Do you know in which part of town you want to buy or rent? It depends on your IEP needs as to which school or subprogram would be best.

Old 12-28-2013, 05:44 PM

794 posts, read 1,670,162 times
Check with Stinson Elementary in 75082/North East Richardson (parts feed to Plano schools). You'll find relatively affordable housing as well. Good area and homes between $200,000-400,000.

Old 12-28-2013, 07:12 PM

9 posts, read 32,135 times
Default Plano elementary schools for special needs students

Programs change and you should visit each school's special education page to get an idea of its special education team, the assigned speech therapist, and if the school houses a special subprogram like those mentioned below. There may be other subprograms at other schools.

If your student has serious behavioral concerns you might consider Beverly Elementary which is addressed in the city of Allen and feeds to Plano schools (MS: Hendrick; HS: Clark). The school has a split centralized structured classroom with one side lower elementary and the other side upper elementary. The other special education programming there is fine was well. It is a wonderful school environment for a collaborative family. The staff and families are very warm and welcoming. The PTA is active. It is a small neighborhood school with very reasonable home prices.

If your student has needs for augmentative communication using a digital voice output device you might consider Gulledge (MS: Robinson, HS: Jasper). Any school should be able to manage your digital communication device needs, but Gulledge had a classroom for that specifically, for what it's worth. The other special education programming there is fine. Housing costs range from about 250 to 400K+ for a move-in ready home. Overall a good feeder system in PISD.

If your student has Autism but a primary "low incidence disability" such as blindness or significant physical impairment you might try Hickey (MS: Bowman; HS: Williams -which is newer). They have/had a hands on learning classroom for kiddos who need a more "sensory" approach--not to be confused with sensory integration. The hands on curriculum is good. Not sure about how the program is run. The school is very far east, near Parker. I believe the neighborhood is a mix of newer and somewhat older developments and is likely the most affordable of the three listed here.

Old 12-29-2013, 03:52 PM

2 posts, read 7,452 times
Where are your kids on spectrum exactly? Are they classic or are they on the higher end of the spectrum like Asperger's/PDD?

Carrollton ISD is THE BEST
Denton ISD
Plano ISD does alright
Frisco ISD is wonderful except they're growing rather quick and funding is an issue
Lewisville ISD and Irving ISD ... avoid it like the plague

Are private schools an option? I found 2 of them in the D-FW area Dallas Therapeutic School | Special Needs School for Autism ADHD However, St. Anthony appears like it could be religious, I'm just going off of the name of the school though. I don't know if that's something you want or not. Then there is Focus on the Future - One of the best Schools for Autism early intervention and behavior skills. They may even possibly have assistance for getting into the program. Kids on spectrum thrive much better in a private school setting. Here is a directory: Specialized Private Schools - Resources - Crystal Charity Ball Dallas/Fort Worth

I was in a charter type school for about a year then wound up being home schooled because it was just much easier. I don't know if that is something that you are able to do or if you and your spouse work full time? You can find great meetup programs for interaction, religious or non-religious based study material, and there are just so many benefits to it. I wish I had been home schooled earlier because, as you know, those of us with an ASD need to do things on our terms and time and it definitely allowed me to do that I mad much more progress because of it.

Anyways, ultimately I highly recommend you look into the Denton area and Aubrey. It's cheaper and there are so many sources for therapy and education.

Good luck! And here are some groups of people and parents in the Autism community. You could find some more support and direction hopefully Meetup: find your people - Meetup

Old 12-31-2013, 08:43 AM

3 posts, read 8,256 times
Good Morning! This feed has been helpful to me as well as I am possibly moving to the DFW area in a couple months. I have a 6 yr old son with global developmental delay. He currently get PT, OT, ST, and Music Therapy at school. He is non verbal and has a wheelchair. My job would be located in Fort Worth and one of my peers in the Fort Worth Office told me that North Richland Hills is very close to the job and the school district is nice. However, I am looking for the best school that will help my special needs child.
Does anyone have any information about the school districts in North Richalnd Hills (is it Birdville ISD) or Wataga?
He does have some sensory issues and needs AT assistance as well.
Thanks!

Old 01-01-2014, 06:15 PM

104 posts, read 143,618 times
I live in Plano ISD and have a kiddo that is very young and autistic just curious as to what you may know that put Carrollton over plano because all I have ever heard about is plano isd. I have another child that is getting services for an separate issue and can honestly say I am not pleased. So I am looking for other options. Seriously considering private when our youngest gets of school age. Have not heard much about plano eci.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas