Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-13-2013, 11:28 AM

2,885 posts, read 4,646,754 times

Advertisements

I have no idea if Carroll can beat either of DeSoto/Coppell or not. They only had one close win this year (Fossil Ridge, 7-3 and ranked 38th in the state, so a pretty good team) and pretty much outclassed everyone they played save Allen. In the "maybe they could" category, the Allen game was the season opener and the first start ever for Carroll's QB, who's a junior, so maybe they've improved since then. OTOH, Allen dominated everyone all year including Carroll early (at Carroll), then Cedar Hill (5th in state, only losses to Allen and DeSoto) and Coppell later. DeSoto looked a little better vs. Cedar Hill than Allen did, so maybe. Who knows?

Last edited by synchronicity; 11-13-2013 at 12:46 PM.. Reason: typo fixed
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-13-2013, 12:49 PM

990 posts, read 2,303,464 times
While agree Region I is great at the top, I would contend Region II is the deepest and probably most recruited region of the state. Region I has benefitted from the Metroplex growing to the northwest while West Texas has stagnated. I can remember when most of the metroplex was region II.

Old 11-13-2013, 01:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rantanamo View Post
While agree Region I is great at the top, I would contend Region II is the deepest and probably most recruited region of the state. Region I has benefitted from the Metroplex growing to the northwest while West Texas has stagnated. I can remember when most of the metroplex was region II.
In Class 5A Division I, Region I is the deepest region by far. That said, there's a whole slew of schools that are not Class 5A Division I, and many of them send kids to college programs.

Coming from up north, I'm amazed at the emphasis on football here. It's one thing to read about it and see TV shows about it (both true and fiction), it's another entirely to drive around and see the stadiums as well observing residents following the local teams.

Old 11-23-2013, 04:47 PM

Updating - sure enough, they played each other and it appears to have lived up to the hype. Great game that went back and forth. Coppell scored early in the 4th to take a 30-20 lead, but DeSoto came back to close it to 30-26. Coppell had the ball 4th and short at midfield with 4:20 to go, they went for it and DeSoto's defense came through with a huge stop, then the Eagles drove downfield for the winning touchdown and a 34-30 victory.

A game worthy of a state title matchup. DeSoto goes on to play the Martin Warriors, who've won their first playoff matchups 61-15 and 52-2...but they haven't played anyone nearly as good as DeSoto. I'm personally expecting an all-Eagle state semifinal matchup (DeSoto from Region I vs. Allen in Region II), but there's a lot of games yet to be played.

Old 11-25-2013, 08:59 PM

6,822 posts, read 14,034,515 times
I watched the Horn vs Allen game Friday night at the Cotton Bowl and nearly froze my buns off. I then watched all four games at the Death Star on Saturday and would agree the Coppell vs Desoto game was a great one. Desoto has a great team but I am not counting South Lake Carroll. They came up 1ft short last year against Desoto and expect the rematch to be just as good. Neither team will beat Allen so the point is mute. Allen's defense is the best I have seen in 20 years.

Old 11-25-2013, 09:26 PM

If it's a "mute" point, then you can't talk about it?

I'm not as sanguine about Carroll's chances against DeSoto as you are. Heck, I think their game against Trinity will be a tough one. OTOH, I think DeSoto has a legitimate shot against Allen. They played one common opponent, Cedar Hill (poor Cedar Hill, they lost two games all year...to those 2 teams! Talk about tough scheduling). DeSoto won 47-20 compared to Allen winning 39-20, and DeSoto was more dominating in their matchup.

We'll see. Feel free to say "I told ya so!" in 3 weeks if they meet up and prove you right.

Old 11-26-2013, 08:09 PM

7,891 posts, read 11,410,931 times
Katy will win it all in the small school division of 5A

Old 11-26-2013, 08:47 PM

6,822 posts, read 14,034,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by synchronicity View Post
If it's a "mute" point, then you can't talk about it?

I'm not as sanguine about Carroll's chances against DeSoto as you are. Heck, I think their game against Trinity will be a tough one. OTOH, I think DeSoto has a legitimate shot against Allen. They played one common opponent, Cedar Hill (poor Cedar Hill, they lost two games all year...to those 2 teams! Talk about tough scheduling). DeSoto won 47-20 compared to Allen winning 39-20, and DeSoto was more dominating in their matchup.

We'll see. Feel free to say "I told ya so!" in 3 weeks if they meet up and prove you right.

I have seen both teams play and the difference maker will be Allens defense. Desoto O-line will not be able to match up with Allens front seven. Frankly I hope Desoto wins the state championship but I can't see anyone defeating Allen this year. Cedar Hill is a better team because of those two loses. Nothing wrong with losing to the two top ranked teams in the state.

Old 11-29-2013, 06:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by synchronicity View Post
I'm not as sanguine about Carroll's chances against DeSoto as you are. Heck, I think their game against Trinity will be a tough one.
Trinity 42, Carroll 38. Granted, Ezzard was out injured the entire second half so Lil' Jordon Humphrey (still amused that that's his actual name) was man on the spot, and sadly he had that 4th quarter fumble. But Trinity was gashing Carroll's defense all day long.

(as an aside, I was out running errands most of the second half, wearing a "Dragon Nation" T-shirt when I checked my cell phone and saw that the game was ending. Ah well.)

Now to see if Martin has a prayer against DeSoto.

Old 11-30-2013, 05:51 PM

56 posts, read 71,669 times
Is this something I need to get used to after moving to Dallas? Knowing high school football player's names?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas