Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-24-2013, 03:40 PM

953 posts, read 1,821,494 times

Advertisements

So this year, I am making an attempt at installing lights myself (except roofline) instead of outsourcing it. My question is how do houses have exact lights around a window or column? Should I buy a pre-lamped reel from Home Depot or lowes? If I do how do I customize it to the exact length I need?
I am looking to put lights on my front porch and flower beds in the front lawn around the pathway.
Any DIYers here?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-24-2013, 04:22 PM

19,514 posts, read 17,753,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by frenzyrider View Post
So this year, I am making an attempt at installing lights myself (except roofline) instead of outsourcing it. My question is how do houses have exact lights around a window or column? Should I buy a pre-lamped reel from Home Depot or lowes? If I do how do I customize it to the exact length I need?
I am looking to put lights on my front porch and flower beds in the front lawn around the pathway.
Any DIYers here?
Generally people run lights to where they need to end and cut off any remaining bulbs and wire. Cap the end with wire nuts and electrical tape.

Old 11-25-2013, 07:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EDS_ View Post
Generally people run lights to where they need to end and cut off any remaining bulbs and wire. Cap the end with wire nuts and electrical tape.
Thanks EDS. The problem with series connection will be an increase in voltage if you do it that way.

Old 11-25-2013, 09:14 AM

Quote:
Thanks EDS. The problem with series connection will be an increase in voltage if you do it that way.
Errr what?

Old 11-25-2013, 10:13 AM

1,212 posts, read 2,284,939 times
Quote:
That is exactly how they do it. My guys rewire the strings. Always makes me worry about a fire, but so far, no issues. I think the moisture can cause a string or two to go out, but they are over the next day to fix them.

Interestingly, depending on the house, sometimes they save the lights for next year and other times they just cut them down and throw them away.

Old 11-25-2013, 12:13 PM

Quote:
Errr what?
In a series circuit, the current through each of the components is the same, and the voltage across the circuit is the sum of the voltages across each component.
Series and parallel circuits - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Shorten Mini Lights - doityourselfchristmas.com

Take a look at MNicolai's post
Shortening Christmas lights | ControlBooth

Old 11-25-2013, 01:33 PM

Quote:
In a series circuit, the current through each of the components is the same, and the voltage across the circuit is the sum of the voltages across each component.
Series and parallel circuits - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Shorten Mini Lights - doityourselfchristmas.com

Take a look at MNicolai's post
Shortening Christmas lights | ControlBooth
It's not nearly that complicated. Modern Christmas lights are nearly always wired in parallel (parallel = if one bulb fails the other bulbs will still get power and work - a shunt passes power down the string when a bulb fails).

1. Parallel lights may be plugged into each other to create a longer run of lights.

2. Within reason separate runs of parallel wired lights may be significantly different lengths and each bulb will be similarly bright. What's weird is that if a number of bulbs burn our of break the other bulb on that run will be brighter.

In front of my house a string of lights runs west it's ~1.35 lengths of 50 ft. lights. The string running east is ~2.15 50 ft. lengths of identical lights and they appear identical in terms of bulb brightness.

Every light installer in town cuts off any extra lights to make the lengths work.

Old 11-25-2013, 01:49 PM

2,825 posts, read 4,437,020 times
@HockDad, do you have them wrap your trees like the link below? If so could you send me their contact info and if you have any idea on pricing? Thank you in advance!

http://www.hhiremodeling.com/media/2...mas-lights.jpg

Old 11-25-2013, 02:46 PM

794 posts, read 1,664,011 times
I guess we can ask this guy for some DIY lighted decor.

500,000 Lights: Family's Christmas Display Sets New World Record In Australia : The Two-Way : NPR

Old 11-25-2013, 06:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GripeWater View Post
Holy cow! That is like a south asian wedding...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas