Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-06-2013, 08:26 PM

6,125 posts, read 7,453,600 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by synchronicity View Post
Heck, Cairns probably isn't warm enough for you!

Wellington has tons of Greeks, so that makes it desirable IMHO.

Stay warm tonight and tomorrow. Take care. Wife is joining kidlet for sledding tomorrow AM. Walkin' in a winter wonderland!
Thanks. You too! Tell her to be careful sledding with the little one tomorrow...and have fun.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-06-2013, 09:09 PM

24,561 posts, read 40,143,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeanyMalone View Post
My first power outage in West Arapaho Heights, but I had power back in 6 hours, and it's still on. Maybe having the schools (RHS, West Jr. High, Arapaho Elem) nearby makes a difference?
Dunno. 75080 is one of the worst-affected areas in the metroplex. It's VERY bad over there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXNGL View Post
Sorry to hear. Hoping ours stays on from now on but not getting my hopes up with the deep freeze. We lost lots of limbs and had to cut some large limbs in order to get the car out of the garage.
Me too. Estimates for restoration are ranging from 1am tonight to 9pm tomorrow. So who knows. Knowing my luck it'll probably be Monday.

Old 12-06-2013, 10:05 PM

56 posts, read 71,111 times
Is it true that Dallas pretty much shutdown from snow and "cold" temperatures today? I think I might enjoy winter's there considering it was -11 today in Denver.

Old 12-06-2013, 10:36 PM

1,518 posts, read 3,045,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rschreck View Post
Is it true that Dallas pretty much shutdown from snow and "cold" temperatures today? I think I might enjoy winter's there considering it was -11 today in Denver.
Before you decide to move here, you should probably spend a week here in the summer. You may decide -11 isn't so bad after all.

Old 12-06-2013, 10:51 PM

298 posts, read 413,529 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by highcotton View Post
I would much rather it is 112 degrees than sub-60. I just don't like cold weather - never have. I'm outside playing tournament golf and practicing a lot. The heat does not bother me at all, as I'm in excellent shape and very used to it. The cold - you can have it! If I liked cold I'd have to live in some God-foresaken place like Detroit or Milwaukee! Ever hear of anyone retiring to cold weather states? Give me blue skies and warmth anyday. Who wants to have the weather make you need to get all bundled up with thick, heavy clothing before going outside. Not me!
Well, it's your preference, and I'll respect if. But personally, I don't feel like sweating the second I walk outside.

Old 12-06-2013, 11:07 PM

9,418 posts, read 13,437,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rschreck View Post
Ice, not snow. We don't shut down for cold temps, just when there are a couple of inches of ice. We aren't prepared (the roads) and we lose power. Snow is fantastic, bring it on! Ice storms, not so much.

Old 12-07-2013, 06:34 AM

13,194 posts, read 28,168,136 times
Quote:
Ice, not snow. We don't shut down for cold temps, just when there are a couple of inches of ice. We aren't prepared (the roads) and we lose power. Snow is fantastic, bring it on! Ice storms, not so much.
This. Ice is the big deal- and dangerous. It accumulates on every branch & tree leaf, weighing them down with hundreds, even thousands, of extra pounds. Tree limbs - or entire trees- can then fall on power lines and disrupt service. That is the major issue right now. In Dallas and Collin Counties alone, there were around 220,000 HOUSEHOLDS without power yesterday and still about 70,000 of those today. That's probably 20-30% of the population without power in freezing temps and surrounded by dangerous iced-over roads (we don't all have tire chains and completely sanded/salted roads).

Snow is fun. Cold temps are lovely, even the freezing ones for a few days. The city is solely shut down due to ICE.

Old 12-07-2013, 06:43 AM

4,153 posts, read 9,237,955 times
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by TurtleCreek80 View Post
This. Ice is the big deal- and dangerous. It accumulates on every branch & tree leaf, weighing them down with hundreds, even thousands, of extra pounds. Tree limbs - or entire trees- can then fall on power lines and disrupt service. That is the major issue right now. In Dallas and Collin Counties alone, there were around 220,000 HOUSEHOLDS without power yesterday and still about 70,000 of those today. That's probably 20-30% of the population without power in freezing temps and surrounded by dangerous iced-over roads (we don't all have tire chains and completely sanded/salted roads).

Snow is fun. Cold temps are lovely, even the freezing ones for a few days. The city is solely shut down due to ICE.
This^

Old 12-07-2013, 07:06 AM

40,930 posts, read 48,938,221 times
Default Truck in Lake Lewisville

Did you see them pull the truck out of the Lake this morning ?
Wonder about the driver. It went off the bridge Friday morning and been in the water 24 hours.

Most of the boat docks at Lewisville have collapsed onto the boats due to ice.

Old 12-07-2013, 07:20 AM

5,680 posts, read 11,501,906 times
I'm without cable/TV at the moment... What's the latest for any more frozen precip today/tonight??
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas