Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-11-2013, 11:12 AM

53 posts, read 86,121 times

Advertisements

We are a family of 5 (3 kids 8 and under) who are interested in relocating to Dallas. I've been reading this board for months and have gotten great info on several neighborhoods which interest us, specifically Lakewood and Prestonwood further north (I do realize they are pretty different from each other). I hear a lot about Lakewood Elem. and Woodrow Wilson, but what about the middle school? When I look at greatschools.org, the reviews are pretty poor, to put it mildly. So what do neighborhood kids do for middle school? Do they just suffer through?

Prestonwood, on the other hand, though possibly not as leafy or as walkable, has great schools throughout, and seems cheaper to boot. The RISD schools are causing us to lean toward Prestonwood/Canyon Creek. Bad schools are a major motivator in our desire to relocate now, and I am wary of risking a poorly rated middle school.

We do want to be as close to the city as possible, but are keeping an open mind. I see Lake Highlands recommended often, but am having a hard time finding an area that will string together highly rated schools from elementary to high school.

Budget is definitely a consideration. We would love to stay under 300k; this seems much more possible in Prestonwood than it does in Lakewood.

Would love to hear your thoughts!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-11-2013, 11:39 AM

794 posts, read 1,663,838 times
I recommend Richardson's 75082 area for $300k budget, it's really nice and majority of homes feeds to Plano schools. Stinson Elem & Otto Middle are really good schools.

Here is current inventory between $250k-350k.

75082 Real Estate - Richardson, TX 75082 Homes for Sale - realtor.com®

Old 12-11-2013, 11:45 AM

743 posts, read 1,314,227 times
With your budget you will be better off in RISD. You need at least a 3 bedroom house and you will be hard pressed to find an updated one in the Lakewood or Stonewall areas.

But generally school "ratings" are little more than a measure for the number of white/asian students enrolled. If you were to live on Lakewood Blvd your elementary school would be 76% white (85% in K) your middle school would be 22% white and your high school 21% white (there are almost no Asians in central Dallas). That is what those school ratings are measuring. (To my detractors, yes I know they are meassuring other data points, but find me a zoned comprehensive secondary school somewhere in the nation that is <25% white/Asian and scores well.)

That scares most people who didn't grow up here. The reality is that starting at middle school kids are grouped by ability in all core subjects, which makes the classrooms at Long and Woodrow more than 20% white assuming your kid is a native English speaker who does homework.

These same points basically all apply to Lake Highlands as well, though they have two middle schools and LHJH is much more regarded. You can probably find a house that fits your needs in the Wallace Elementary attendance zone, but depending on your job location, Prestonwood is likely your best choice.

Old 12-11-2013, 11:46 AM

111 posts, read 217,654 times
Everyone that I know in Lakewood send their kids to private schools. Only option really after elementary. With a budget of 300k you are going to get a tiny home in Lakewood.

Old 12-11-2013, 11:58 AM

16,087 posts, read 41,019,865 times
The Friends of J. L. Long is having a meeting this Thursday, December 12 from 6:15 to 8:15 pm at The Lot, 7530 E Grand Ave, Dallas, TX 75214. Principal Petters will be updating the group on what is happening at Long.

Long is nearing completion of the three-year accreditation process for International Baccalaureate Middle Years Programme. It has been offering the curriculum for the past two years as candidate school. In that time approximately 85% of the faculty has been IB-trained. About 35% of the faculty was new and had been recruited for this as of last year. Last time I checked, less than 30 public schools in Texas are IB MYP accredited.

I checked out the reviews and it seems there may be one person with an axe to grind making several. The others seem balanced. I personally know many parents and students who love Long. Its particular strengths are languages, math, science and performing arts. It does very well in state math and science competitions and science fair. Athletic teams dominate the district and often win the city championships.

The new TEA rankings are the top possible with distinction in top 25% progress.

Old 12-11-2013, 12:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by abbybaby View Post
Everyone that I know in Lakewood send their kids to private schools. Only option really after elementary. With a budget of 300k you are going to get a tiny home in Lakewood.
According to city data, in 75214 about 2/3 send their children to public schools for grades 1-8 and 3/4 send their kids to public school in 9-12. http://www.city-data.com/zips/75214.html

Old 12-11-2013, 12:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakewooder View Post
The Friends of J. L. Long is having a meeting this Thursday, December 12 from 6:15 to 8:15 pm at The Lot, 7530 E Grand Ave, Dallas, TX 75214. Principal Petters will be updating the group on what is happening at Long.

Long is nearing completion of the three-year accreditation process for International Baccalaureate Middle Years Programme. It has been offering the curriculum for the past two years as candidate school. In that time approximately 85% of the faculty has been IB-trained. About 35% of the faculty was new and had been recruited for this as of last year.

I checked out the reviews and it seems there may be one person with an axe to grind making several. The others seem balanced. I personally know many parents and students who love Long. Its particular strengths are languages, math, science and performing arts. It does very well in state math and science competitions and science fair. Athletic teams dominate the district and often win the city championships.

The new TEA rankings are the top possible with distinction in top 25% progress.
I've heard complaints that people love their Lakewood homes and the area but move to tiny cottages and duplexes of HPISD for schooling because schools aren't good. However, no personal experience with those schools. Anyways, you'll not like the housing stock of Lakewood that meets your budget.

Old 12-11-2013, 12:06 PM

I don't know of anyone who has done that except a lady who works at Times Ten Winery. And I do have personal experiences with these schools, not hearsay. We actually have two transfers at Woodrow in from HPISD that I know and I know parents who grew up in HPISD who now have children at Woodrow/Long.

Old 12-11-2013, 12:06 PM

743 posts, read 1,314,227 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GripeWater View Post
I've heard complaints that people love their homes and the area but move to tiny cottages and duplexes of HPISD for schooling. However, no personal experience with those schools.
That's an anecdote. The data is that more than half of white Lakewood 5th graders enroll in 6th grade at Long. Another percentage choose to go to a (public) magnet school like Travis. There are people who move away or chose private schools, but they are a distinct minority.

ETA: 82% of the white 5th graders in the Woodrow feeder class of 2020 enrolled at Long. Even if every one of the students who enrolled at another school was from Lakewood, 66% of the Lakewood crew still matriculated to Long.

Old 12-11-2013, 12:09 PM

Are you saying that more than 44% students leave for other options? This data is for white students only?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas