Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-11-2013, 11:16 PM

47 posts, read 70,480 times

Advertisements

Just a few years ago, the day pass was only $3. Then it went up to $4, and now it's up to $5. The price seems to have gone up way too fast, and their bus service hasn't improved at all. They don't offer any good options at all. A one-way ticket is exactly half the price of a day pass ($2.50), so you can't save anything by getting two of them. A midday pass is very affordable, but no one is available to do anything that time of day.

The buses only run once per hour most of the time. I find that a lot of times, it only takes me twice the time to walk where the buses go, and that's if I don't run. Worst part is, the buses stop running around 9 or 10PM, so if I want to go to an event that starts at 7 or 8PM, I might not be able to get home.

I'm really frustrated because I feel like either the cost or the timing of DART's service cuts into everything I want to do. It's just too expensive for me to be downtown looking for opportunities or meeting people, I pretty much have to be sure I have a really good reason to go somewhere before I can go. It's extremely confining.

I'm already set to go to college so I can find a job, but I feel like there's literally no budget to do anything else until it starts except sit here at home and surf the Internet.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-12-2013, 02:04 AM

990 posts, read 2,302,558 times
- A lot of jobs offer reduced monthly passes. Even if you purchase your own, its a huge savings over driving a car.
- the buses don't run once per hour most of the time. Some end at 9 or 10 some don't. A lot depends on where you live.
- I find it interesting that people find downtown expensive. Downtown =/= Uptown. Again, cheaper to ride DART than parking+gas+looking for parking downtown. Just like with a car, you adjust your schedule for what you do. i did it for years when I could, and I miss the money and overall time I was saving. Not to mention it probably saved a ton on car maintenance as I wasn't driving 100 miles daily. DART is not ideal, but i think we never stop to think how much time and money we spend on our lifestyle. i certainly didn't until i had to rail it downtown everyday.

Old 12-12-2013, 02:41 AM

47 posts, read 70,480 times
I agree that it's more affordable than a car, I guess. I have poor reflexes and suck at concentrating, so I don't think I could drive anyway. If it weren't for DART, I'd probably have to hire a cab.

My lifestyle has pretty much been sitting at home and surfing the Internet. I was hoping to change that, but it's way too expensive to do anything else right now. Transportation costs are a lot higher than they used to be, and it really forces me to think a lot harder than I'd like to about any trip I consider. Maybe I should just look at what IS in walking distance and try it. After all, I am just killing time until school starts. I'll have more opportunities to join groups/clubs on campus.

I guess the most frustrating thing about it, is that I dream of travelling to other states, maybe even other countries. But right now, I can barely afford to "travel" within my own town. Something about that is just depressing. That's how life is though, I know. Especially these days... I swear, instead of "When I was your age, I had to walk in the snow to school," I hear, "When I was your age, gas was a lot cheaper and you could always find some kind of work." It all seems so backwards, you know?

Last edited by jeremy1988; 12-12-2013 at 02:50 AM..

Old 12-12-2013, 08:50 AM

19,767 posts, read 18,055,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremy1988 View Post
I agree that it's more affordable than a car, I guess. I have poor reflexes and suck at concentrating, so I don't think I could drive anyway. If it weren't for DART, I'd probably have to hire a cab.

My lifestyle has pretty much been sitting at home and surfing the Internet. I was hoping to change that, but it's way too expensive to do anything else right now. Transportation costs are a lot higher than they used to be, and it really forces me to think a lot harder than I'd like to about any trip I consider. Maybe I should just look at what IS in walking distance and try it. After all, I am just killing time until school starts. I'll have more opportunities to join groups/clubs on campus.

I guess the most frustrating thing about it, is that I dream of travelling to other states, maybe even other countries. But right now, I can barely afford to "travel" within my own town. Something about that is just depressing. That's how life is though, I know. Especially these days... I swear, instead of "When I was your age, I had to walk in the snow to school," I hear, "When I was your age, gas was a lot cheaper and you could always find some kind of work." It all seems so backwards, you know?
Adjusted for inflation gas is cheaper now than in 1919.

Old 12-12-2013, 09:01 AM

2,825 posts, read 4,460,531 times
Dallas has never been known to have great public transit. Would we as a city benefit if it changed...ABSOLUTELY. And honestly, it is getting better with the dart rail, expanding lines, new buses and routes. That's one of the reasons you probably say a spike in ticket prices.

Old 12-12-2013, 09:08 AM

56 posts, read 134,420 times
Jeremy - There's a whole world right outside your door. Turn off the computer, put your shoes on, open the door and take a step. No money or transit required.

Old 12-12-2013, 09:55 AM

5,263 posts, read 6,399,224 times
I'd actually recommend moving to Chicago, Philidelphia, or Baltimore. They have a good mass transit systems and property prices and taxes are not outrageous, especially if you are a person who will probably not be able to drive.

Old 12-12-2013, 10:06 AM

1,085 posts, read 1,788,977 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOverdog View Post
I'd actually recommend moving to Chicago, Philidelphia, or Baltimore. They have a good mass transit systems and property prices and taxes are not outrageous, especially if you are a person who will probably not be able to drive.
In Chicago?

Old 12-12-2013, 10:13 AM

5,263 posts, read 6,399,224 times
Quote:
In Chicago?
Well, I was comparing to other US locations with decent mass transit systems, so the cities I considered were:
SF, NYC, Boston, Philly, Chicago, Baltimore, DC.

So in that list, no.

Portland gets lots of positive press for their transit system, but IMO theirs is pretty weak if you aren't living in the hot areas ($$$$).

Old 12-12-2013, 10:20 AM

743 posts, read 1,320,255 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bencronin04 View Post
Dallas has never been known to have great public transit.
I have a streetcar and bus route map from the 1940s. Was pretty awesome back then!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas