Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-10-2014, 11:00 AM

218 posts, read 336,897 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by keribeth818 View Post
What?? In what driver's manual did you ever read that rolling stops are acceptable? If it was safe to turn right without stopping, it would be designed as a yield movement, not a red light. Make sure you stop before the line, then pull forward and go when there's a gap. It takes 2 extra seconds.

If the cross streets have a protected left, they also have a protected U-turn and shouldn't have to worry that you aren't watching for them and roll through the red light because you assume there's no conflict. If the U-turn is prohibited, you would have a green arrow.
I am not disagreeing with you. I learnt my mistake and paid the fine.

Drivers manual is clear but my point is that most drivers do rolling right turns and do not think twice about it (see all the posts in this thread alone).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2014, 01:11 PM

559 posts, read 935,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pmjc101 View Post
They got me the other day at 6am because i did a "rolling" stop while making a right hand turn. It really pisses me off because I seriously doubt that a human officer would have given me a ticket had he seen me make the turn. I do this all the time and there was no on coming traffic at 6am.

I'm having the debate of time involved of having to take a day of work or paying the $75 penalty.

Its also a matter of principal that the government can use cameras and drones to watch you and send a fine in the mail when they need money. These cameras should be outlawed!!!!

Another thing.. I have a real problem with getting a redlight ticket in coppel but having to send a payment to the company named "Safelight Coppell" out of state in Cleveland Ohio!!!!
I paid the last ticket issued from City of Coppell.

We recently had a red light ticket issued by city of Irving for not making a full stop before making a right turn. I looked at their photo and video evidence and it clearly showed that there was a full attempt to stop the vehicle when light was already yellow and just before making a turn red light came on (probably 1/10th of a second), and it issued the ticket because the vehicle was around at 1 to 5mph speed. I decided to dispute this time and we got the ticket waived by the supervisor within 5 minutes.

Old 07-11-2014, 02:30 PM

931 posts, read 2,133,947 times
My problem with giving a ticket to the owner of a car is that it is just wrong. The ticket should go to the offender?

Old 07-11-2014, 02:56 PM

24,561 posts, read 40,263,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete53FR View Post
My problem with giving a ticket to the owner of a car is that it is just wrong. The ticket should go to the offender?
Usually they're the same person. They get the address by matching the license plate registration information to the car's owner. If the owner lets someone else drive the car, then they assume the risk.

Old 07-12-2014, 01:05 AM

38,707 posts, read 103,131,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete53FR View Post
This is called "vicarious liability" and it's been a contentious issue around the country. Some state courts have found it violates their state constitutions. Federal courts have generally permitted it when challenged as a federal violation of due process. The upside of assigning liability to the car and not the driver is that it doesn't count as points against your license because it doesn't meet the required burden of proof to do so. So legally it's treated the same as a parking ticket.

Old 07-14-2014, 09:49 AM

419 posts, read 552,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fighter 1 View Post
Fact is that the RED LIGHT cameras do not make the roads any safer , they just make money for the police/cities, with out having to have a cop siting at the intersection and more importantly with out any investment in the equipment to take the pictures( private company owns all the equipment) and as has been said here , the private company's that operates the cameras are allowed to shorten the yellow light timing of the lights . Now if the cameras were put there to make the roads safer? wouldn't you think they would add a few seconds to the yellow or even add a few seconds between the timing of the RED/ GREEN light change ! Woops ! Then they( Camera company/ cities) would loose money ! and we can't have that.

This I know from personal experience , My truck was sitting at a RED light ( Camera Controlled! ) waiting for light to change so I could turn left, when another truck coming from my left ran the light, hit 2 vehicle that had started as soon as the light turned green and T- boned them and then hit my truck head on.

I personally don't move as soon as the light turns green, I make ensure that all the opposing traffic has stopped. I feel it is better to wait at the Red lights then to have to wait at a hospital.
Im not defending red light cameras, but while what you describe above may be the general belief, they are not installed merely for revenue generation. At least, that was not the intent. While the number of accidents have not been reduced significantly at red light intersections, the number of serious accident, ones involving broadside and head on collisions, decrease significantly. A personal anecdote does not change that fact.

Any company shaving down the yellow time to increase revenue is shady but this is the exception, and not the rule. What City wants to deal with that public backlash nightmare? Contrary to what you say, these companies typically do not have access to the signal timings. I can see where a City might increase the yellow time when they are first installed to give residents and commuters time to adjust to the cameras, and then reduce them back to what they should be. But I have never actually seen this happen. Yellow and red time is intersection-specific depending on the width, speed, grades, etc. It has nothing to do with giving a person more (or less) time to beat a red might camera. Signal timings are public record (I believe) so why would they open themselves up to a lawsuit?

Old 06-18-2016, 03:32 PM

1 posts, read 1,556 times
I received a camera ticket for running a red light.however I was on a right turn only lane and I did brake and continued to turn right as it was safe to do that.The video clearly shows this.
As it is legal to turn right on a red light if its clear does what I did not allowed within the law.
Comments please

Old 06-18-2016, 08:10 PM

2,353 posts, read 3,859,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kantiv View Post
I received a camera ticket for running a red light.however I was on a right turn only lane and I did brake and continued to turn right as it was safe to do that.The video clearly shows this.
As it is legal to turn right on a red light if its clear does what I did not allowed within the law.
Comments please
Braking does not equal stopping. Did you actually stop? Where you go forward and then fall back into the seat and your tires stop turning? The law states to "STOP" before turning if the lane is clear, unless the turn lane has a posted "YIELD" sign.

So many folks just slow down but don't actually come to that complete stop.

Old 06-19-2016, 01:22 AM

468 posts, read 475,025 times
Quote:
Comments please
Are they still using these camera tickets? What town are you in? I thought they got rid of these. I think they stopped using them in Plano.

Old 06-19-2016, 10:12 PM

559 posts, read 935,575 times
Quote:
Comments please
I had a similar ticket issued as well and slow down to almost 2-3 MPH when making a turn. I did contest and was successful to waive the ticket. As per the law you must do a complete "STOP" before attempting a right turn on a red light.

But if you have enough evidence to convince that you did make a fair attempt to STOP before making a right turn, then you should contest.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas