Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-28-2013, 06:26 PM

9 posts, read 32,133 times

Advertisements

I have read posts online for over 4 years now regarding living in North Texas and Plano/Frisco, specifically. One of the common enough themes is that some people have a difficult time making meaningful friendships here due to what is described as "pretentiousness," "racial division," "cliques," and other concerns. I do NOT want a laundry list of incidents to evidence these complications, please. Nor am I looking for disagreements that essentially deny the experiences of others. If you have not had a difficult time this post does not apply to you--no offense. However, I am curious to know the process people used to find and cultivate the meaningful friendships they sought and if they found the overarching vibe that characterizes the Midwestern US; you know it when you feel it and miss it when it's absent. Some people have decided to move; but, if you stayed, how did you cultivate a Midwestern vibe into your life here in North Texas or are you still looking for it? Did you decide/realize it is truly a cultural issue of the area, a personality type/interpersonal preference in depth or style that created the challenge, or a combination of factors? Thanks for your constructive participation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-29-2013, 11:20 PM

10 posts, read 36,614 times
I've always appreciated the taciturnity of Midwesterners, their unpretentious nature, heavily corn-weighted diet, Lutheran law-of-Jante modesty and such; frankly, it is one of the things I miss a bit of, here in cowboy-cheerleader, beef-eating Texas. Perhaps it is the snowy winter up there in the Midwest that slows the blood and allows folks to become a bit more reflective before shooting off their mouths or sidearms. I am all in favor of the cultivation of a Midwestern vibe within select enterprise zones in North Texas, and appropriate signage on the roads to alert those who may be interested in witnessing it develop. Frankly we do not need just more of the Tex-Mex, BBQ, steakhouse, stuff than what we have already; nothing wrong with it but the Midwestern cultural posture is valuable as well and I hope it develops. I think Latera in Frisco would be a particularly appropriate choice for a dose of Midwestern realism to the folk of NoTex.

Old 12-29-2013, 11:36 PM

6,848 posts, read 11,797,799 times
Seriously? Lots of wordy-words that, frankly, don't carry much meaning in regards to Texas, North Texas, much less Plano! Midwestern vibe here, really? Would a Texas vibe in the Midwest be as appropriate or welcoming?

This is what irks the heck out of the natives here... that newcomers just can't seem to embrace the Texas culture that is inherent to this area, but instead are incessantly trying their best to make it over into whatever it was from wherever they originated.

Old 12-30-2013, 09:22 AM

6,255 posts, read 17,088,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BstYet2Be View Post
Seriously? Lots of wordy-words that, frankly, don't carry much meaning in regards to Texas, North Texas, much less Plano! Midwestern vibe here, really? Would a Texas vibe in the Midwest be as appropriate or welcoming?

This is what irks the heck out of the natives here... that newcomers just can't seem to embrace the Texas culture that is inherent to this area, but instead are incessantly trying their best to make it over into whatever it was from wherever they originated.

My thoughts exactly.

Plano DID used to have a very Midwestern feel to it, and I would know, I was born in Iowa and lived in Kansas City for quite a few years.

However, things change. Coit Rd is no longer a 1 lane dirt road, and Billy Bob's at Preston and Park, with it's gravel and dirt parking lot, is long gone too. There used to be several unique shops/restaurants at the Independence and Parker area that definitely had a midwestern feel... Baskets was a great restaurant, felt just like being in KC.

Time moves on, and culture gets changed. Plano's popularity brought in people from all over the country... and the Plano culture, shopping, and restaurants reflect that now.

Old 12-30-2013, 09:27 AM

2,987 posts, read 10,131,637 times
My impression of a Midwest vibe is probably more equivelent to small town living. Friendly, slow paced, very kind to strangers...with the Midwest cache of being mindful of prying into somone else's space. Helpful and neighborly also come to mind. I think the Texan vibe is quite similar, but with a more pronounced, extroverted way of approaching these qualities, in addition to being more expressive and open.

I think the OP can find what he/she is looking for in smaller cities or towns outside of the metroplex and will have to learn to appreciate the Texan culture...which shouldn't be hard to do, Texans are very genuine and nice people overall and of all places to create an insular culture...with a different culture with such similar values does strike me as odd and really unnecessary.

Old 12-30-2013, 09:57 AM

794 posts, read 1,670,046 times
OP is obviously confusing today's modern and global Plano to rural Plano of 1800's.
Attached Thumbnails
Midwest vibe in Plano Texas.  Have you found it?-image.jpg  

Old 12-30-2013, 10:01 AM

I found a cute group picture of whole PISD from 1898.
Attached Thumbnails
Midwest vibe in Plano Texas.  Have you found it?-image.jpg  

Old 12-30-2013, 10:05 AM

[According to the 1915 Plano Review, "The University of Texas probably draws more students from Plano than any one other institution." The Review goes on to state that "no town in Texas, in proportion to its size, has more students in higher institutions of learning than Plano."[10]

Old 12-30-2013, 10:40 AM

19,855 posts, read 65,802,767 times
Since I never lived in the MidWest, I have no idea what the OP is looking for. But as BstYEt2Be said, enjoy what's here (wherever "here" might be) and be happy.

Old 12-30-2013, 06:02 PM

1,315 posts, read 2,679,239 times
I live in Prosper and we have a bunch of people from the midwest in our neighborhood,particularly Kansas. We love Prosper for many reasons... the area is scenic and spacious,yet still close to amenities and larger cities. The Cotton Gin Cafe in Prosper reminds me of some of the Mom and pop spots we have visited in the midwest.Very homey,really fun,friendly,town regular kind of place.I would say the midwest vibe is prominent in many DFW neighborhoods...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas