Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-31-2013, 01:15 AM

1,636 posts, read 4,085,492 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christine88 View Post
Isn't south a bad area?
There are nice, safe communities in all parts of the DFW area, including places south of Dallas.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-31-2013, 05:10 AM

1,621 posts, read 4,577,147 times
Quote:
Isn't south a bad area?
"South Dallas," which is the area just southeast of downtown around Fair Park, is a "bad" area in terms of crime, poverty, and low-performing schools, though most of the people in the neighborhood are honest, hard-working low-income people. The entire area south of the Trinity certainly cannot be written off as a bad area; if you're 30 miles south, you'd be in Waxahachie, which is only starting to become suburb rather than a country town near Dallas.

Old 12-31-2013, 06:25 AM

58 posts, read 132,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theloneranger View Post
"South Dallas," which is the area just southeast of downtown around Fair Park, is a "bad" area in terms of crime, poverty, and low-performing schools, though most of the people in the neighborhood are honest, hard-working low-income people. The entire area south of the Trinity certainly cannot be written off as a bad area; if you're 30 miles south, you'd be in Waxahachie, which is only starting to become suburb rather than a country town near Dallas.

Yeah most but it's the few bad ones that make the area dangerous.

Old 12-31-2013, 09:24 AM

127 posts, read 177,093 times
Christine88, if I were you I would not consider purchasing anything until you get here and check out the metroplex yourself for awhile. For several reasons.

First, as mentioned, I suspect you are not going to be able to park an RV on any lot within any city limit because of zoning laws.

Second, you don't mention if you will be looking for work. If so, be aware that the metro area is HUGE. When you go looking for a lot, you need to know where you are going to be working. If you bought a lot 30 miles south of Dallas and found a job in Lewisville or Plano you'd be on the road about 4 hours a day.

Finally, if you're not already familiar with DFW, you need to be here for a while and do some exploring. Just to see what parts of the area you like. Everyone is different and DFW is a diverse area. Do yourself a favor and don't commit yourself to living anywhere when you don't know the area.

The suggestion by BstYet2Be was excellent. Since you already own an RV, find an RV park, get hooked up, and do some exploring. Seems like I remember most parks have monthly rates from $300-$500 a month. That's cheap rent here. Take a month or two to find a job and explore the area.

Old 01-01-2014, 10:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DWinTX View Post
Christine88, if I were you I would not consider purchasing anything until you get here and check out the metroplex yourself for awhile. For several reasons.

First, as mentioned, I suspect you are not going to be able to park an RV on any lot within any city limit because of zoning laws.

Second, you don't mention if you will be looking for work. If so, be aware that the metro area is HUGE. When you go looking for a lot, you need to know where you are going to be working. If you bought a lot 30 miles south of Dallas and found a job in Lewisville or Plano you'd be on the road about 4 hours a day.

Finally, if you're not already familiar with DFW, you need to be here for a while and do some exploring. Just to see what parts of the area you like. Everyone is different and DFW is a diverse area. Do yourself a favor and don't commit yourself to living anywhere when you don't know the area.

The suggestion by BstYet2Be was excellent. Since you already own an RV, find an RV park, get hooked up, and do some exploring. Seems like I remember most parks have monthly rates from $300-$500 a month. That's cheap rent here. Take a month or two to find a job and explore the area.
I'm very familiar with Dallas. I lived in Shreveport all my life and been to Dallas many times. I don't want to worry about a house note or worse rent. I want something I own and no one can throw me off even if it has to be outside any city limits.

Old 01-01-2014, 11:01 AM

13,194 posts, read 28,154,575 times
Quote:
I'm very familiar with Dallas. I lived in Shreveport all my life and been to Dallas many times. I don't want to worry about a house note or worse rent. I want something I own and no one can throw me off even if it has to be outside any city limits.
But if you're so money concious, don't you want to avoid spending $350 on gas and another $100-120 in tolls every month if you do find land on one side of the metroplex and find work on the other side? There are many commutes that absolutely cannot avoid a toll road unless you want your 45 minute commute to take 90 minutes (and then add more gas expenses because of all the stop & go).

PS- you ABSOLUTELY CAN be thrown off land that you own mortgage free. If you don't pay your annual property taxes (about $800 for a $30k piece of land), then the county will place a lien on your property and ultimately foreclose. I don't know if $800 is a lot or a little in your annual income, but it's something to consider.

Old 01-01-2014, 11:10 AM

11,821 posts, read 26,709,231 times
Spending money on gas is only one downside of having a long commute. You will also have to buy tires and perform maintenance on your car more often because you will be driving more miles. Also, the car will not last as long because you will be putting more miles on it. And then there's the wasted time spent sitting in traffic...

In short, find the job first and then decide where to live. We tell almost all newcomers on this board this for very good reasons.

Old 01-01-2014, 11:35 AM

1,212 posts, read 2,287,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristieP View Post
Spending money on gas is only one downside of having a long commute. You will also have to buy tires and perform maintenance on your car more often because you will be driving more miles. Also, the car will not last as long because you will be putting more miles on it. And then there's the wasted time spent sitting in traffic...

In short, find the job first and then decide where to live. We tell almost all newcomers on this board this for very good reasons.
Totally agree.

Old 01-02-2014, 08:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurtleCreek80 View Post
But if you're so money concious, don't you want to avoid spending $350 on gas and another $100-120 in tolls every month if you do find land on one side of the metroplex and find work on the other side? There are many commutes that absolutely cannot avoid a toll road unless you want your 45 minute commute to take 90 minutes (and then add more gas expenses because of all the stop & go).

PS- you ABSOLUTELY CAN be thrown off land that you own mortgage free. If you don't pay your annual property taxes (about $800 for a $30k piece of land), then the county will place a lien on your property and ultimately foreclose. I don't know if $800 is a lot or a little in your annual income, but it's something to consider.
Unless I'm mistaken Texas has homestead exemption. I know Louisiana does and I thought Texas did as well. Anyway I'm aware of property tax laws as most normal intelligent people are. I'm not a stupid person as you suggest with your sarcasm. With that said $800 a year is a lot cheaper than a mortgage or rent and much much easier to manage. Also I'm not being money conscious. To me travel time and gas is irrelevant. The only thing that is relevant is the fact that I want a lot that I own. If Texas is prohibitive in that respect I'll look elsewhere like remote areas of Arizona or New Mexico. I'm a single young 25 year old girl with no ties and I can literally go anywhere.

Old 01-02-2014, 08:32 AM

3,020 posts, read 8,581,111 times
Quote:
Unless I'm mistaken Texas has homestead exemption. I know Louisiana does and I thought Texas did as well. Anyway I'm aware of property tax laws as most normal intelligent people are. I'm not a stupid person as you suggest with your sarcasm. With that said $800 a year is a lot cheaper than a mortgage or rent and much much easier to manage. Also I'm not being money conscious. To me travel time and gas is irrelevant. The only thing that is relevant is the fact that I want a lot that I own. If Texas is prohibitive in that respect I'll look elsewhere like remote areas of Arizona or New Mexico. I'm a single young 25 year old girl with no ties and I can literally go anywhere.
Texas is not prohibitive in that respect. We have remote areas just like Arizona and New Mexico. Being "near Dallas" IS prohibitive.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas