Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-01-2014, 12:20 PM

9 posts, read 14,873 times

Advertisements

I have a job interview next week in Dallas, and if everything goes well, my husband and I will need to find housing up there. I'd be working in downtown Dallas, near City Hall, and we'd prefer an apartment that's within the boundaries of a good school district.

We're both from South Texas, and we both know hardly anything about the Dallas area. I've only gone up to Dallas for events and have never looked at it as a potential place to live. I'd like to address one particular concern of mine, and I hope I don't get too many people trolling it. I've never lived in a place where I've truly been a minority. I'm Hispanic, and South Texas has a huge Hispanic population. One Google search on racism/segregation in Dallas, however, and I've learned not to make eye contact with anyone, or die. Don't take the DART train, because I will come into contact with gang members, hookers and bums and die. Don't trust the city planning department or police department, because they have no idea what they are doing, so the chances of me finding myself in a mixed-use are and getting mugged and dying are high. It's like a scene straight out of Mean Girls.

Then again, I've heard from people up north that a Google search led them to believe Laredo and surrounding areas were full of drug cartels and other forms of vice, and nothing could be further from the truth.

Any and all information will be greatly appreciated on housing and your thoughts on the current racial make-up/situation of Dallas. Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-01-2014, 12:30 PM

2,413 posts, read 3,459,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ciclista View Post
I have a job interview next week in Dallas, and if everything goes well, my husband and I will need to find housing up there. I'd be working in downtown Dallas, near City Hall, and we'd prefer an apartment that's within the boundaries of a good school district.
Need budget, and commute tolerance.

Quote:
We're both from South Texas, and we both know hardly anything about the Dallas area. I've only gone up to Dallas for events and have never looked at it as a potential place to live. I'd like to address one particular concern of mine, and I hope I don't get too many people trolling it. I've never lived in a place where I've truly been a minority. I'm Hispanic, and South Texas has a huge Hispanic population.
You definitely wouldn't be a minority in some Dallas proper neighborhoods, but there are definitely parts of one town than lean heavy in different directions. Same situation in the suburbs. Overall, the Dallas area is very diverse and Dallas proper is minority/majority:

http://www.city-data.com/city/Dallas-Texas.html

Quote:
One Google search on racism/segregation in Dallas, however, and I've learned not to make eye contact with anyone, or die. Don't take the DART train, because I will come into contact with gang members, hookers and bums and die. Don't trust the city planning department or police department, because they have no idea what they are doing, so the chances of me finding myself in a mixed-use are and getting mugged and dying are high. It's like a scene straight out of Mean Girls.

Then again, I've heard from people up north that a Google search led them to believe Laredo and surrounding areas were full of drug cartels and other forms of vice, and nothing could be further from the truth.
Exactly! Take a lot of that with a grain of salt. I grew up in the burbs, and heard a lot of the same things about Dallas. Anyway, moved here and found out [confirmed] that most of it isn't true.

Quote:
Any and all information will be greatly appreciated on housing and your thoughts on the current racial make-up/situation of Dallas. Thank you!
good luck

Old 01-01-2014, 12:31 PM

11,816 posts, read 26,657,615 times
I don't know where you heard these things, but they are far from the truth. The DART trains are perfectly safe and are used by thousands of people every day. There are a LOT of Hispanics in Dallas, too.

What will your budget be for that apartment? If your husband would be willing to ride the aforementioned DART rail to work, Richardson would be an excellent option.

Old 01-01-2014, 12:34 PM

Budget: No more than $1500 for a 2 bedroom apartment.

Commute Tolerance: One hour or less.

Your replies make me feel so much better. My only concern now should be that I'd be a Saints fan living in "unfriendly" territory.

Old 01-01-2014, 12:57 PM

2,413 posts, read 3,459,991 times
Quote:

East Dallas (75214) has really good elementary schools and you would be about 10-15 minutes from work. There's lots of debate on here about the middle and high schools, but Stonewall Jackson and Lakewood elementary are considered to be great. There are nice rentals in both attendance zones.

The Dallas Lake Highlands area (75243) has good elementary schools, and is served by Richardson ISD. That area has really good and really bad apartments, so be sure and check reviews.

The inner ring suburbs have good schools, and a lot of them have DART stations if you are considering that. Richardson and the east side of Plano would be a fairly close commute by car too.

Quote:
Your replies make me feel so much better. My only concern now should be that I'd be a Saints fan living in "unfriendly" territory.
That's what you should worry about... Just Kidding
http://www.dfwwhodats.com/Calendar_of_Events.html

Old 01-01-2014, 07:26 PM

616 posts, read 1,033,287 times
North Oak Cliff (75208) is a great area near downtown with perhaps more ethnic balance than most others, lots of Hispanic people and others too.

Check out Bishop Arts District for the more multiracial yuppie area, then nearby Jefferson Blvd. for a more Hispanic "Main Street" kind of atmosphere.

To take restaurants for an example, check out the menus, reviews and the crowds of people at these places. They're all in the area and all include some variations on Mexican or Tex Mex food, from traditional to trendy: Mesa, El Ranchito, Veracruz, Gloria's, Bolsa, La Palapa Veracruzana.

Old 01-01-2014, 07:37 PM

24,561 posts, read 40,086,670 times
Quote:

Heh nope. There are tons of people from Louisiana here, both college-educated people moving here for better jobs and Katrina refugees.

Old 01-01-2014, 09:22 PM

Y'all rock. Every single one of you.

It seems like hubby and I will be visiting Richardson while we are up there. And the Bishop Arts District is interesting, too. We might even try out the DART train.

Thank you for all the responses. ^_^

Old 01-01-2014, 10:59 PM

2,169 posts, read 5,147,369 times
The DART light-rail line doesn't go to Bishop Arts but there is a new free bus service that makes a circular route through downtown, Uptown and over to Bishop Arts. It's called D-Link. DART.org - D-Link

Old 01-02-2014, 06:45 AM

1,621 posts, read 4,571,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Walter Benjamin View Post
North Oak Cliff (75208) is a great area near downtown with perhaps more ethnic balance than most others, lots of Hispanic people and others too.

Check out Bishop Arts District for the more multiracial yuppie area, then nearby Jefferson Blvd. for a more Hispanic "Main Street" kind of atmosphere.

To take restaurants for an example, check out the menus, reviews and the crowds of people at these places. They're all in the area and all include some variations on Mexican or Tex Mex food, from traditional to trendy: Mesa, El Ranchito, Veracruz, Gloria's, Bolsa, La Palapa Veracruzana.
Gloria's isn't really Tex-Mex...more like Tex-Salv with some Mex-Mex (though I'm leery of any place that charges $2.50 for a pupusa).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
View detailed profiles of: