Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-05-2014, 05:33 PM

40,952 posts, read 49,155,879 times

Advertisements

Las Colinas - Lakes of Las Colinas you can build a new home. There is also another new subdivision coming on line soon in Coppell ISD.

You won't get 1/3 acre but she can catch the DART line and / or be 20 minutes to downtown.

There are several subdivisions in Las Colinas (Irving) you should explore.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2014, 06:07 PM

794 posts, read 1,670,046 times
I'm wondering which place has shortest commute to top Private schools of DFW? Irving, Far West Plano or Coppell?

Old 01-05-2014, 08:38 PM

114 posts, read 221,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakin View Post
Las Colinas - Lakes of Las Colinas you can build a new home. There is also another new subdivision coming on line soon in Coppell ISD.

You won't get 1/3 acre but she can catch the DART line and / or be 20 minutes to downtown.

There are several subdivisions in Las Colinas (Irving) you should explore.

Rakin,

Is the new sub-division the Toll Brothers one? Do you know when those lots will be released?

Old 01-07-2014, 02:07 PM

1 posts, read 1,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkbman View Post
The Mrs. and I are moving in a few weeks. We've been to Dallas once recently, and spent hours and hours (5days) driving around Plano, Allen, McKinney, and Frisco. Even went west to Rockwall and Heath. Now, we've happened upon flower mound/southlake area and are thoroughly confused. Don't know what to do. Here are some stats:
Married, 2 boys 6&4
Now they go to private Christian school, but open to public
We live in a suburb of detroit (novi)
Wife works in office now - will be working 90% in downtown Dallas
I work from home currently
House budget $650k
She's willing (and kind of wanting) public transportation to work
Current commute for her is approximately 35 min normal and up to an hour in really bad traffic days

Here's what we're looking for:
Sunshine. (Today we're getting 12" of snow. Tomorrow it's supposed to be a high temp of -4 degrees. Yes. It's cold)
4 bedroom
Nearly 1/3 acre or more
3 car garage
Nice pool

Commute is important, but from what she does now, can tolerate 35-45 min or so.

We liked Allen a lot, Frisco seemed to fake to us. Plano was OK, maybe we looked in the wrong area. Then through th Internet we found Flower mound area and thought it was kinda nice.

Headed back in a few weekends to do another round of house hunting. If worse comes to worse we may rent for a short period and take our time. I'd like to move and be done with it.

DFW experts- please help!!

Thanks!

There are parts of Las Colinas that are extremely nice where you can get very close to that in terms of size and and well under your price point with 20 minute or less commute time. The sacrifice would only be in size of the lot and timing as you would have to most likely build the home and wait upwards of 7 months to move in. Flower mound you can definitely find what you want in land however commute time from from Flower mound can take you well over 35 to 45 minutes depending on where you work exactly and what part of Flower Mound you live in. I know of some communities in both Flower Mound and Las Colinas that are new that you might like. Let me know if you would like some more info. Good luck with your move!

Old 01-07-2014, 02:34 PM

58 posts, read 65,340 times
I would suggest Lake Highlands as well. Look into White Rock Elementary attendance. Seems to only be getting better and better!

The house won't be new, but it will be in a developed neighborhood with trees and lots of kids.

Old 01-07-2014, 03:28 PM

1,621 posts, read 4,592,390 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GripeWater View Post
I'm wondering which place has shortest commute to top Private schools of DFW? Irving, Far West Plano or Coppell?
Of those 3, it's really about the same. The top private schools in Dallas are all clustered in the Preston Hollow area of North Dallas (roughly between I-635, Midway Road, Northwest Highway, and I-75, with a couple just outside this area). These are St. Mark's (all boys), Hockaday (all girls), Jesuit (all boys), Ursuline (all girls), and Episcopal School of Dallas (coed). The only elite schools outside this area are Cistercian Prep (all boys 5-12 in Irving) and Greenhill (coed nursery-12 in Addison).

Coppell is roughly a straight shot down I-635, but traffic on 635 is horrible right now because of construction. If by Irving you mean Las Colinas in far north Irving, it's about the same as Coppell (as they border one another). Other parts of Irving are farther.

Far West Plano is a straight shot down the Tollway, and takes about 10 minutes to arrive in the area without traffic, plus the time on side streets to get to the school (no more than 10 minutes). With traffic it can be worse, but traffic on the Tollway isn't as bad as other highways in Dallas, though it costs money.

Most people (though by no means all) who send their kids to the elite private schools live in Preston Hollow. There is new construction in the area (mostly teardown McMansions at $1M+), but if you want more than standard lot size you'd be in the multi-million range for houses.

Old 01-13-2014, 06:41 AM

1,212 posts, read 2,297,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dallasbred View Post
I would suggest Lake Highlands as well. Look into White Rock Elementary attendance. Seems to only be getting better and better!

The house won't be new, but it will be in a developed neighborhood with trees and lots of kids.
I heard a new subdivision in the WRE area, with homes starting around 500k, sold out quickly. Around 20 homes I think.

Old 01-13-2014, 01:36 PM

58 posts, read 65,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HockDad View Post
I heard a new subdivision in the WRE area, with homes starting around 500k, sold out quickly. Around 20 homes I think.
That's true. All sold very quickly, most in the 700+ range. There is another one starting in the Merriman Park Elementary area right now as well, not sure what those start at.

There are a few new builds listed right now in WRE, but they are above the OP's price range.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
View detailed profiles of: