Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-06-2014, 05:56 PM

2 posts, read 2,420 times

Advertisements

We love our little neighborhood called east Dallas; Lakewood/Forest Hills/Hollywood Heights. This area is close to downtown and Midtown, and has it's own "Central Park", White Rock Lake, a small lake with hike and bike trails. The DISD school to go to in this area is Woodrow Wilson High School, with an IB program, diverse student population, great extra curricular activities, award winning sports, Math & Science teams, and affordable living.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2014, 05:57 PM

16,087 posts, read 41,155,936 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CMC_TX View Post
Don't they have around 400 students per grade? I'd be curious to see a credible list of where each student from the class of 2013 matriculated to. Our private school published this in marketing materials so you could see the breakdown based on the ENTIRE Senior class.

Generalized lists of colleges people are currently "enrolled" in doesn't really provide an accurate snapshot of each graduating class.

I'm sorry, I don't have that - you can make a request by contacting:

Kristy Borneman
College Adviser
Woodrow Wilson HS Advise TX
cccwoodrow@gmail.com

Amrita Tharappel
Higher Education Adviser
Woodrow Wilson HS Princeton Review
atharappel@review.com

The last few senior classes have been in the 250-300 range. There is wall of acceptance letters at the school but I haven't been in that hallway in the last couple of months. I'll try to get a photograph the next time I'm there.

Old 01-06-2014, 06:01 PM

13,194 posts, read 28,292,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakewooder View Post
To someone from HP I suppose 25% and 30% disadvantaged are high numbers (HPHS has 0%). Woodrow has about double those percentages.
I'm not sure what my having graduated from HP has to do with any of this, but anyway.....

Woodrow is 57% ED according to the TEA. It didn't take more than 5 minutes to find a long list of schools with similar or more ED students who scored significantly higher than Woodrow's ED population on the SAT. In fact, the first school on the list, Newman Smith, has exactly the same % of ED students, yet scored over 200 points higher on the SAT than Woodrow's ED students.

CFBISD Newman Smith:
57% ED
1428 ED SAT
North Garland:
62% ED
1374 ED SAT
Arlington Lamar HS:
56% ED
1367 ED SAT
Richardson ISD Berkner HS:
49% ED
1365 ED SAT
Richardson ISD Richardson HS:
49% ED
1380 ED SAT
FWISD Paschal HS:
49% ED
1372 ED SAT
DISD Skyline
82% ED
1272 ED SAT

Old 01-06-2014, 06:19 PM

An economically disadvantaged student is defined as one who is eligible for free or reduced-price meals under the National School Lunch and Child Nutrition Program. Within this classificiation are different levels down to poverty, destitution and even homelessness. I would submit that these schools have different situations and to make a direct comparison, while seemingly logical, is ultimately inaccurate. I'm very familiar with a few of these schools and I actually attended one of them (suburban) for a year. While that was a long time ago, I am friends with many in that area, get newsletters and attend reunions. I'm not sure about Paschal but I know Skyline has some of the same types of poverty, though it does have magnet programs which bring in students from outside its attendance zone.

Old 01-06-2014, 06:30 PM

13,194 posts, read 28,292,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakewooder View Post
An economically disadvantaged student is defined as one who is eligible for free or reduced-price meals under the National School Lunch and Child Nutrition Program. Within this classificiation are different levels down to poverty, destitution and even homelessness. I would submit that these schools have different situations and to make a direct comparison, while seemingly logical, is ultimately inaccurate. I'm very familiar with a few of these schools and I actually attended one of them (suburban) for a year. While that was a long time ago, I am friends with many in that area, get newsletters and attend reunions. I'm not sure about Paschal but I know Skyline has some of the same types of poverty, though it does have magnet programs which bring in students from outside its attendance zone.
The multitude of excuses for Woodrow is exhausting.

My best friend taught in Plano (school ultimately feeding to Plano Senior) and I can assure you "her" poor students were just as poor as "yours." Broken families, illiterate parents, immigrants, very recent refugees from war-torn countries in the Middle East and Africa, too poor to keep the electricity on for any consistent amount of time, kids who only eat at school because their cupboards are barren, not to mention the sheer number of kids dealing with drugs, disabilities, and abuse at home.

It is an unfortunate- but real- fact that in the year 2014, poverty - real, true poverty and even homelessness- is no longer an inner city problem. It is in almost every corner of the metroplex and the country. The homeless shelter in Collin County is at maximum capacity almost every night, with 1/3 to 1/2 of the "residents" being children. The Collin County food banks are always taking donations at my office. It's real, just as real as families who use Dallas LIFE, the Wilkinson Center, or any of the other services for poor Dallas residents.

Last edited by RonnieinDallas; 01-07-2014 at 03:22 PM.. Reason: Personal attack: you can make your point without name calling

Old 01-07-2014, 09:02 AM

15 posts, read 21,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CMC_TX View Post
Where in Denver are you currently living? Do you live in the city of Denver or like Broomfield, Highlands Ranch etc?
Cherry Creek. I like it here a lot though but this move to Texas offers me more than 3 times my salary which I already have a fantastic one. So I have to decide wether I stay or leave and take the money. Also a question one of my kids is in 8th grade but he has already enrolled in IB for next year can he just transfer to a Texas IB school or will he have to apply again?

Old 01-07-2014, 09:05 AM

1,783 posts, read 2,571,734 times
If you live in Cherry Creek I would look into Lakewood.

Old 01-07-2014, 10:28 AM

1,212 posts, read 2,298,351 times
Lakewood is a nifty place (middle of city, old historic homes) to live with poor schools. Coppell has more of a suburb feel (think chain restaurants, strip malls, nice new homes) with much better schools. Since schools are our number one concern, and since a commute is not an issue, I would pick Coppell.

Old 01-07-2014, 10:36 AM

1,783 posts, read 2,571,734 times
I was referencing neighborhood appearance similarities with Cherry Creek, but you're right that Lakewood would require private schools IMO.

Old 01-07-2014, 10:45 AM

"Poor schools"? Are you also implying that Blue Ribbon Lakewood and Blue Ribbon Stonewall elementaries are "poor schools"? OP please check state rankings: http://ritter.tea.state.tx.us/perfre.../statelist.pdf

You will see that Woodrow has the highest possible ranking (met standard) with distinction in all three areas, as does Lakewood. Long met standard with distinction in top 25% progress, Stonewall Jackson met standard with distinction in English/Language Arts, Lee met standard with distinction in English/Language Arts and to 25% progress and Lipscomb and Mount Auburn met standard.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas