Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-10-2014, 08:57 PM

51 posts, read 117,699 times

Advertisements

For my new house, I have an option to add wood starter step for media room for free which is $300 value.

what is your opinion on this? whether to go for this or not? This option also adds a step in the middle of media room, which i am not sure how much useful.

appreciate your inputs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2014, 09:45 PM

6,255 posts, read 17,097,598 times
Your post isn't completely clear... it sounds like you are getting a tiered media room, and the upgrade cost to wood stairs is $300 vs carpeted ones.

My media room is tiered with two tiers, and I wish I just had one, but that's due to the layout/size of the room. The "step" in the middle is so your 2nd row seats can see the screen without being blocked by the first row. If you go with a big projector screen setup, that can be an issue.

Old 01-11-2014, 01:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MckinneyOwnr View Post
Your post isn't completely clear... it sounds like you are getting a tiered media room, and the upgrade cost to wood stairs is $300 vs carpeted ones.

My media room is tiered with two tiers, and I wish I just had one, but that's due to the layout/size of the room. The "step" in the middle is so your 2nd row seats can see the screen without being blocked by the first row. If you go with a big projector screen setup, that can be an issue.
You are right. Wood step at the media room entrance and tiered media room. It's only two tiered. My media room size is 14x17.
I think the step in the middle of the media room would be around 6 feet away from the back wall that means I would still have around 10-11 feet for the front row.
Do you think it would still be an issue? Also in general, having a tiered media room is a good idea?

Old 01-11-2014, 02:49 AM

4,207 posts, read 15,255,953 times
In general it is a good idea but the size of your media room seems smaller than average. The front seats may end up too close to the screen.

Naima

Old 01-11-2014, 07:46 AM

6,255 posts, read 17,097,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FriscoNewHome View Post
You are right. Wood step at the media room entrance and tiered media room. It's only two tiered. My media room size is 14x17.
I think the step in the middle of the media room would be around 6 feet away from the back wall that means I would still have around 10-11 feet for the front row.
Do you think it would still be an issue? Also in general, having a tiered media room is a good idea?
That's almost the same size as my room (14x18). I don't like where the tiers are on my room, because it steps up two steps at the door, then the rear tier is 6 ft wide, the middle tier is 6 ft wide, and then the front of the room (ground level) is also 6 ft wide. For me, it wastes space in the front of the room. I would have preferred having only 1 tier and 1 step up, with about 8 ft for the rear tier, and 10 ft in the front for my front row seats and media gear.

Old 01-11-2014, 09:49 AM

19,784 posts, read 18,079,394 times
Quote:

Your room is 14x17 if can give me the ceiling height I can have a friend run a couple of calculations that help greatly with speaker placement - especially the subwoofer(s).

I don't know your home or any details about your media room or listening/watching habits. I've had three different media rooms and have helped set up a number of systems/rooms for friends/realtives over the years.

1. If there is going to be a step into the media room it should be wood. That step will see lots of use and carpet will look worn much sooner than wood. You can also re-surface the top piece(s) of a hardwood step many times over they years if needed and it's easy. The other side of the argument is a carpet guy could re-carpet your step every several years for maybe $50 if you keep enough of the carpet around.

2. Aside from the entry step do you want a tiered media room?

Possible problems with tiered media rooms:
1. The room becomes a media room with a detail that can't be easily changed - it can't be a proper bedroom or office later for examples.
2. Tiers are always trip hazards
3. Tiered rooms dictate how the main screen (TV or pj screen) will be oriented.
4. Tiered rooms limit rolling in extra seating or at least make placement more difficult when the kids or you have a bunch of buddies over.
5. Most people really don't care much about audio quality in their media rooms. So this point may be moot but a tier will compromise your audio set up to a degree or at least make a serious speaker set-up much more difficult. If you are going with in-wall speakers none of this matters very much.
6. Tiered rooms seem smaller than the are.

Cool things about tiers:
1. A tired room can make multi-row seating arrangement easier to set up and the viewing can be better.
2. There is no denying tiered media rooms look cool.

Considerations as it looks like you are fairly early in the process:
1. Run at least two, three would be better (2 for audio stuff and one for a TV/pj) dedicated power lines set up with arc-fault breakers - I'd also ask about GFI breakers of receptacles. There are lots of reasons why dedicated line help but an overlooked one is that its easy to install over-voltage protection on dedicated line ensuring your equipment is protected. This is in addition to the regular "to code" electrical circuit.
2. Media rooms always get hot. Run extra AC or dedicated AC or at least install a couple of remote controlled ceiling fans (ceiling fans + pj installation = careful planning required).
3. Run lots of cat5, leave pull strings, wire for a pj even if you aren't going to install one now or at least leave pull strings.
4. Strongly consider installing a pj and screen over a big TV. The impact of a pj/screen trumps TVs.
5. Consider orienting the room such that the viewing screen is on along wall.
6. Assuming you can get either uVerse or FIOS get one or two of their wireless cable boxes. There are myriad reasons the best one is they work great a the PQ is off the charts.

Old 01-11-2014, 12:02 PM

Thanks for all your responses.

EDS, the ceiling height is 10 feet. The entry step into the media room is wood and the flooring is all carpet.

pre-wiring the room for 7.1 surround sound, planning to go for a decent speaker system under 3K (definitely not in-wall speakers).

Tiered media room, i am yet to decide.

Attached the media room model.
Attached Thumbnails
wood starter step for media room?-mediaroom.jpg   wood starter step for media room?-medroom1.jpg  

Old 01-11-2014, 12:28 PM

19,784 posts, read 18,079,394 times
Quote:
Thanks for all your responses.

EDS, the ceiling height is 10 feet. The entry step into the media room is wood and the flooring is all carpet.

pre-wiring the room for 7.1 surround sound, planning to go for a decent speaker system under 3K (definitely not in-wall speakers).

Tiered media room, i am yet to decide.

Attached the media room model.
I'll do some digging - it might be tomorrow before I can get back.

Old 01-11-2014, 12:57 PM

35 posts, read 62,400 times
Media rooms are on their way out.

Old 01-11-2014, 02:59 PM

4,207 posts, read 15,255,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Farmersvilling View Post
Media rooms are on their way out.
Says who? I cannot disagree more. It is still in very high demand in homes 300K or above. Those that don't have it, take a little longer to sell too unless they have another feature that makes up for it. Media rooms, outdoor living space are all very much in demand.

I am about to list a 4900SF home that doesn't have a media room but has plenty of land to add one. Every comp out there for this square footage has a media room but this one was custom and the owners didn't know any better. But guess what, they are definitely wanting a MR in their next home, not because of resell, but because they will use it as such. It's the man cave!!

Naima
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
View detailed profiles of: